Left Overs: Chipotle Peppers & Green Chilies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
I bought a can of chipotle peppers in sauce and used only one pepper for the recipe. Same for the green chilies.... I have over half of the can left. What can I do with them? I don't have to use them together, I just hate to let it go to waste. So if there is something simple and tasty I can use them for, please let me know what it would be.

Yup - if you don't plan to use them in a week or so, freeze 'em. Just place them by the tablespoon on a sheet of wax paper on a baking sheet in the freezer. When frozen, just put them in a plastic bag for future use.

SharonT said:
The last time I had leftover chipotles I made these:
chipotle & spinach mushrooms
What did you make with the one chipotle and green chiles?

With the chipotle peppers, I made a marinade for a skirt steak. It was tasty, but was not hit with the ol' hubby.

With the green chilies... I used them to make a sour cream sauce for my chicken enchiladas. That was a hit with the hubby.

So I see a future for the green chilies.... not looking so hot for the chipotle peppers, although I do like the heat they packed!

Good to know that they will freeze.... your recipe sounds wonderful to me, but it don't sound like something that hubby would like, but he has surprised me. Thank you for sharing!

I freeze portion size amounts of tomato paste, chipotle in adobo, etc. works great. keeps many months without deterioration.

So would the chipotles be good in salsa? I always have salsa or something like that on hand for chips and dip... one of my favorite snacks. Since they have some nice heat to them and a smokey flavor, hmmmmm.... got me thinking now!

sattie said:
I bought a can of chipotle peppers in sauce and used only one pepper for the recipe. Same for the green chilies.... I have over half of the can left. What can I do with them? I don't have to use them together, I just hate to let it go to waste. So if there is something simple and tasty I can use them for, please let me know what it would be.

I asked this very same question. I received lots of replies. I ended up using a cookie sheet, froze them individually and then put them into a zip lock bag. Works great!

amber said:
I asked this very same question. I received lots of replies. I ended up using a cookie sheet, froze them individually and then put them into a zip lock bag. Works great!

Now if I would have thought someone would have had this exact issue...... nah... I figured the odds were against me!!!!

Sorry to those having to respond to this again, but as always I am appreciative of the responses!

Ok... dumb question time... why would you freeze them on a cookie sheet first then put them in a bag? Why not just freeze them in the baggie????

sattie said:
Now if I would have thought someone would have had this exact issue...... nah... I figured the odds were against me!!!!

Sorry to those having to respond to this again, but as always I am appreciative of the responses!

Ok... dumb question time... why would you freeze them on a cookie sheet first then put them in a bag? Why not just freeze them in the baggie????

So you can use just one or two at a time rather than having them all stuck together in the baggie.

amber said:
So you can use just one or two at a time rather than having them all stuck together in the baggie.

I get it now... you can keep them all in one baggie.... and to think about how much I hate waste, I was about to use a baggie for each one. DUH!

sattie said:
I get it now... you can keep them all in one baggie.... and to think about how much I hate waste, I was about to use a baggie for each one. DUH!

Nope, since they are frozen individually, you can pile them all into one baggie and take one out when you need it :chef:

Why freeze them?
I transferred some chilpotle chillies to a glass jar, topped them with oil, and put them in the fridge. Six months ago. They're fine, as long as you keep a layer of oil on top.

Back
Top Bottom