Marinating Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not everyone knows that using the marinade can be dangerous and they leave it out while using it. Just because we are savvy to the problem does not mean that others reading our posts know about not using marinade as a basting liquid unless it's refrigerated or boiled.
Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't see any difference between safe handling of uncooked poultry and the marinade it was in. You can leave the marinade outside of the refrigerator as long as you would leave the poultry outside of the refrigerator. If there are recommendations to the contrary from the USDA, ServSafe, etc. then please correct me. USDA advises not to use marinade on cooked poultry without boiling it first, which makes perfect sense.

For those who are wondering how long it takes for brushed on marinade to reach 165 F, put an impervious object on the grill along with the food. Brush some water on the object and see how long it takes to boil off (212 F).

Most of my marinades are vinegar heavy. That has to count for something.

Sometimes I think we worry too much. Heck, today I bought a deli corn dog at 9:30 am. Forgot about it and ate it at 5 pm after it sat in the hot truck all day.

Even with my weak stomach, I was fine, and it was tasty.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't see any difference between safe handling of uncooked poultry and the marinade it was in. You can leave the marinade outside of the refrigerator as long as you would leave the poultry outside of the refrigerator. If there are recommendations to the contrary from the USDA, ServSafe, etc. then please correct me. USDA advises not to use marinade on cooked poultry without boiling it first, which makes perfect sense.

For those who are wondering how long it takes for brushed on marinade to reach 165 F, put an impervious object on the grill along with the food. Brush some water on the object and see how long it takes to boil off (212 F).

You know the safe standards. I know the safe standards. We reiterate the safe standards for the casual reader of this forum who is NOT in the know. At any point in time on this forum we have from 5-50 members reading and 1000+ non-members. Those non-members are the ones we want to teach about safe food practices.

I'm ServSafe certified and use personal standards that are more conservative.

But I will use a marinade to brush on as a baste or glaze on grilled meat.

Personally, I do not think we've led anyone astray here.

But I do understand your point about casual readers. Hope they read the whole thread.

I think the problem is that a lot of people will baste that chicken repeatedly throughout the grilling process. That would give the marinade too long at "room temperature" to be safe, while it's sitting next to the grill and the chicken is grilling.

I think that the real point is to not use something that has been used to marinate meat as a table sauce without cooking it first. As long as the marinade has been properly cooked, it should be safe to eat.

Grilling will certainly cook it. However, don't brush it on the last side of a piece of grilled meat if you aren't planning to flip and grill that side again. When I use a marinade in this manner, I usually don't apply any more to the meat beyond the first half of the grilling process.

It's still not a bad idea to reserve a part of the mixture for a grilling or basting sauce to effectively eliminate any chance of contamination.

Grilling will certainly cook it. However, don't brush it on the last side of a piece of grilled meat if you aren't planning to flip and grill that side again. When I use a marinade in this manner, I usually don't apply any more to the meat beyond the first half of the grilling process. .

That's exactly right Rick, and the point I was attempting to make. You said it perfectly.

I think the problem is that a lot of people will baste that chicken repeatedly throughout the grilling process. That would give the marinade too long at "room temperature" to be safe, while it's sitting next to the grill and the chicken is grilling.

Maybe or maybe not. Grilling chicken doesn't take 2 hours.

My basic point was that it's not an inherently bad practice to use marinade as a basting sauce while grilling.

Whereas it is absolutely dangerous to use it as a table sauce without boiling it. And, dear God, to put cooked chicken on a platter that raw chicken rested on.

Oh for crying out loud!
img_1517961_0_8289971db51480dea2957c70c2db4578.gif

Just divide the marinade in half and use half as a marinade and half as a basting liquid. Put the marinade and the chicken in a zipper bag and squeeze out all the air, put the basting liquid in a covered container, and put them both in the refrigerator until ready for use. Then you don't have to worry about putting yourself or anyone else in the friggin' hospital!

Last edited:
Whereas it is absolutely dangerous to use it as a table sauce without boiling it. And, dear God, to put cooked chicken on a platter that raw chicken rested on.

My DH would not know about that. Any time he's grilling, after he takes the meat out to the grill, I go out and take the plate and leave a clean one for the finished food. I would not consider myself a good cook, but I have heard about reusing marinade, that's why I asked the question. I didn't know the part about boiling it first. I think I would separate the marinade to have some fresh to use for basting. It's an easy step to be safe rather than sorry.

An ex boyfriend of mine would marinate the chicken, zip up the bag, freeze it for later use. I tried to tell him that wasn't a good plan but he "knew everything ". Luckily I never ate there too often, especially after the first time I ever met his dad he said hey! What broom did you fly in on? :O

There's nothing wrong with that.
My bad then, so if you use the marinade again after it's thawed for meat, it's still good? Well I was in the wrong! Thanks for the info! He mentioned doing a type of beef next in it, it just didn't sound good to me lol

My bad then, so if you use the marinade again after it's thawed for meat, it's still good? Well I was in the wrong! Thanks for the info! He mentioned doing a type of beef next in it, it just didn't sound good to me lol

I think she thought you meant he froze the bag with the chicken and the marinade both together. No, you should not reuse a marinade.

I think she thought you meant he froze the bag with the chicken and the marinade both together. No, you should not reuse a marinade.
No he would marinate his chicken, cook the chicken, zip up the leftover marinade to use again. I thought I was being smart, then I thought I was a dummy, now you have given me hope again :ROFLMAO:

Not to worry Merlot.....Jenny is going to agree that "new" chicken should ever be marinated in old contaminated marinade even if the marinade has been frozen.

Your thinking was right on in the first place!!

At first I also thought you were talking about freezing chicken in marinade and that would be ok.

Not to worry Merlot.....Jenny is going to agree that "new" chicken should ever be marinated in old contaminated marinade even if the marinade has been frozen.

Your thinking was right on in the first place!!

At first I also thought you were talking about freezing chicken in marinade and that would be ok.
I see how I worded it, it sounded like that! my apologies! :wacko:

Last edited:
An ex boyfriend of mine would marinate the chicken, zip up the bag, freeze it for later use. I tried to tell him that wasn't a good plan but he "knew everything ". Luckily I never ate there too often, especially after the first time I ever met his dad he said hey! What broom did you fly in on? :O

and there was a second time??? dad sounds like a :pig: (sorry, mo ahole emoji available)

Ross

and there was a second time??? dad sounds like a :pig: (sorry, mo ahole emoji available)

Ross
lol I was so nervous to begin with when I met them. The parents were / are scientists or chemists or something of that nature. The boyfriend had a IQ way above normal but I'm telling you they had zero in the social skills department. My BF at the time was doing river rafting on the new river gorge while we were in therapy school. He had a female roommate that was also a guide. When the parents walked in I was in the kitchen talking to the roomie. The dad actually said before the broom comment... what are you two lesbos doing.... :huh: :ROFLMAO: The mother told me if I got her son smoking again she would kill me ( he was actually smoking and hiding it). Needless to say, I wasn't with him very long lol

Last edited:
Kayelle is my new official spokeswoman! She will be a busy gal!!

I thought you meant he put raw chicken in marinade and froze it. That's fine. I do it all the time.

But putting cooked chicken back in the contaminated marinade? No no no no

So.... now that we've sorted that out...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom