Microwaving concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holdthescroll

Assistant Cook
I read somewhere that microwaving your food causes it to lose 97% of its nutrients. Is there any truth to that? When I microwave a sweet potato for example, what exactly happens to the sweet potato's nutrients? What about if I'm reheating chicken/beef in the microwave?

From what I understand, certain foods and certain nutrients react negatively to microwaves ie: breastmilk. I hope some of our scientific-minded members have info on what other foods are seriously depleted nutrient-wise by microwaving.

Here's the way I understand it:

Energy is transferred in waves. The higher frequency the wave is, the more energy it carries. Microwaves have a much higher frequency than the heat transferred by a flame, which is why they can cook food so quickly. However, higher frequency waves, because they carry more energy, are also more damaging to flesh and cells. Certain foods with more delicate cell structures don't fare well in the microwave because the energy just destroys the food's cell structures, and nutrients along with them.

Searching on Google for this - site:*.edu microwave nutrients (the site: part specifies that the results be only .edu sites) - the pages I've seen say steaming and microwaving are the best ways to retain maximum nutritional value. Some nutrients can be destroyed by overcooking the food, but overcooking can be done on the stove or in the oven as well.

From http://health.howstuffworks.com/health-benefits-of-fruits-and-vegetables-ga3.htm
<quote>
Cook vegetables (and fruits) in a covered pot with just a little water -- to help create steam that speeds cooking. Or try cooking in the microwave. This fast method of cooking helps to retain nutrients, flavor, and crispness.
<end quote>

I read somewhere that microwaving your food causes it to lose 97% of its nutrients. Is there any truth to that? When I microwave a sweet potato for example, what exactly happens to the sweet potato's nutrients? What about if I'm reheating chicken/beef in the microwave?

This sounds like something that you saw on the internet. It's a great place to find mis-information.

I have always heard the opposite - that steaming veggies in the microwave is one of the better ways to cook veggies as it preserves nutrients.

This sounds like something that you saw on the internet. It's a great place to find mis-information.

I have always heard the opposite - that steaming veggies in the microwave is one of the better ways to cook veggies as it preserves nutrients.

Yep, I've read that many times too. Steaming by any method is always a better way to cook veggies, even in the microwave oven.

How close would you have to be standing to the microwave for it to cause a negative reaction?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I had to figure that out by trial and error. The instruction manual that came with my microwave was kinds vague on that subject, but then I read that breastmilk wasn't supposed to glow-in-the-dark so I took a few steps back.

alright, good to know that I can keep nuking 75% of my meals without consequence!! whooo

ROFLMAO: I think the poster meant that breast milk that has been pumped, bottled and reheated in the microwave loses it's nutrients.

It starts losing it's nutrients as soon as you remove it from the original container anyway.

The reason you do not heat breast milk (or anything else for a baby) in a microwave is that that the heating can be uneven. In the case of breast milk, you would have warm milk with a pocket of hotter milk that could potentially burn the baby.

The reason you do not heat breast milk (or anything else for a baby) in a microwave is that that the heating can be uneven. In the case of breast milk, you would have warm milk with a pocket of hotter milk that could potentially burn the baby.
I think it also kills vitamin c and also various antibodies present only in breast milk. Of course, this probably isn't due to microwave vs. any other form of heat. More that in the original container (thanks Caine), the milk is never warmer than body temperature and doesn't handle temps higher than that. Microwaving is faster so much easier to overheat.

Although it has been mentioned, you must shake formula you heat in the microwave, otherwise you'll run into "hot spots" that could hurt baby. AND, this is something they might not teach young people, you always squirt the formula on the inside of your wrist to make sure it is the right temperature. But really shake it to make sure you don't scorch your baby's throat.

I've never microwaved breasts milk in the microwave before because of the concerns mentioned. More importantly the heat will destroy all the good stuff like vitamins, antibiotic etc. Seems like such a waste to nuke it just so it's warm for baby.

Actually if you trained baby well enough, he or she wouldn't mind drinking it at room temperature or even slightly cold.

I don't like microwaving stuff in containers. I've heard that they release toxins as it heats, seeping into the food.

I don't like microwaving stuff in containers. I've heard that they release toxins as it heats, seeping into the food.

It depends on the container. Certain plastics, and definitely styrofoam, should not be used in the microwave, but ceramic and glass containers are fine, and some plastics are designed to be used in the microwave.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom