Oyster Cracker Munchies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
They go great with soup and salads and are addictive to munch on by them selves.

2 bags oyster crackers
1 package ranch salad dressing mix
2 tblsp dill weed
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper
1 cup of veggie/canola oil

Mix seasonings in the salad oil. Pour mixture over crackers (in a large bowl) and stir until all oil is absorbed.

:blush: Sorry to sound completely clueless, perhaps I just know them by a different name, but what are oyster crackers? You recipe sounds really nice Saddie, thanks for sharing it :)

Thanx
I'm gonna try this with left-over dry popcorn.
It can be a low salt snack too!

'can't wait....:pig:

Piccolina these are oyster crackers. They are often served with things like New England Clam Chowder.

Sattie your recipe sounds great. I have a very similar one that I love. They really are a great snack. When I make mine I put them in a brown paper shopping bag and shake them every once in a while. This helps get rid of some of the excess oil.

Gb

Great idea GB... did not think about doing that to absorb some of that oil. I remember when I first made them, I was certain that the crackers would be mushy with all that oil.

I hate to make them, because I go by the kitchen and I see the container and I thinks to myself... "self? I will just have a couple of these...." Yea right! Hook - line - and sinker! I an sitting on the kitchen floor feeling like the cookie monster of oyster crackers!!!! AAARRGGHH!

Hmm, do you think spraying the crackers in a bowl with Pam or some type of cooking spray first would help the seasonings stick? I may have to try this. The recipe sounds really good.

paxpuella said:
Hmm, do you think spraying the crackers in a bowl with Pam or some type of cooking spray first would help the seasonings stick? I may have to try this. The recipe sounds really good.

Not sure, it could work. So are you thinking just spritz the crackers and then toss them in the dry ingredients?

I have tried olive oil and it just did not taste right. What ever you use, make sure it has a very light or no flavor at all.

sattie said:
I have tried olive oil and it just did not taste right. What ever you use, make sure it has a very light or no flavor at all.

What type did you use? For such a recipe as this, I think extra light would be in order. Not as strong as regular olive oil or the other varieties of olive oil. I've not tried it, but I've hard others use it in replacement of other oils, even in baking! :huh:

BigDog said:
What type did you use? For such a recipe as this, I think extra light would be in order. Not as strong as regular olive oil or the other varieties of olive oil. I've not tried it, but I've hard others use it in replacement of other oils, even in baking! :huh:

Big Dog... it has been so long ago since I did it, I honestly do not remember. I am thinking I used regular olive oil which may be the reason it tasted so odd. If anyone here tries it and can confirm/vouche for it, let us know!!!!

Back
Top Bottom