Pickle recipe help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's interesting, GG, but that recipe starts with vinegar in it, and this is probably why it takes 5-6 weeks, not the much less time (8-10 days, in the recipes I saw) that a salt only fermentation takes. And I was looking for something without the vinegar - like a deli dill, which is what this is starting to smell like already. But I assume that other acid has to go in it, not just the lactic acid, if it would be canned.

That's interesting, GG, but that recipe starts with vinegar in it, and this is probably why it takes 5-6 weeks, not the much less time (8-10 days, in the recipes I saw) that a salt only fermentation takes. And I was looking for something without the vinegar - like a deli dill, which is what this is starting to smell like already. But I assume that other acid has to go in it, not just the lactic acid, if it would be canned.
You can poke around that site and see if there's something more like what you want. Another reliable site is www.freshpreserving.com, from Ball and also www.bernardin.ca, similar to the Ball site, in Canada.

I don't like fermented pickles, so I just make refrigerator pickles, for the most part. I've tried canning them a few times and they always come out too soft for my liking.

I think it would need pressure canning without the addition of acid.

That's what I was afraid of getting, GG - the softness. However, something that I did, that I didn't see in these recipes for naturally fermented pickles, was to add a little calcium chloride - something that I always do, that makes refrigerator pickles crisp, and keeps them crisp until I finish them. I wasn't sure if it would inhibit the fermentation, but it definitely didn't. I'll find if the crispness was helped, but then, I didn't make any without, so I really won't know.

Thanks for the links. I found some other vegetable pickle recipes there, that I might be able to use.

Last edited:
Thanks for those links GG.
That's what I was afraid of getting, GG - the softness. However, something that I did, that I didn't see in these recipes for naturally fermented pickles, was to add a little calcium chloride - something that I always do, that makes refrigerator pickles crisp, and keeps them crisp until I finish them. I wasn't sure if it would inhibit the fermentation, but it definitely didn't. I'll find if the crispness was helped, but then, I didn't make any without, so I really won't know.

Thanks for the links. I found some other vegetable pickle recipes there, that I might be able to use.
You're welcome. Glad to help [emoji2]

Back
Top Bottom