Taste of College

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yep, that's what i meant about stealing it from the school cafeteria, piccolina.
i actually made a cheese/hot pepper flake/garlic powder/herb/bread soup from ingredients i stole from a pizza place in college. it was terrible, but i had more money for beer.

ronjohn55 said:
BT,

I went to school in downtown Detroit - where in the world was I gonna find:

1 can chopped clams, drained
1 can whole baby clams, including the liquid
1 bunch flat leaf parsley, washed, stems discarded, chopped, divided into 2

I mean, just ASKING where to get that type of stuff in that neighborhood is enough to get you smacked around! :mrgreen:

John

I am from that area and I could still find that stuff, but i sure wouldnt ask anyone if I couldnt. I used to know of a website that was nothing other than ramen noodle recipies, some great ideas on there. My fave has to be

2 packs ramen noodles cooked and drained
1 can of corn
1 t oil

combine noodles, corn, and seasoning packets in heated oil...fry...
have to almost burn em a little
mushrooms, onions or any meat can be added as well....

you'll also find some cool ones if you go looking for jail house recipies or talk to someone who has done time. Jail house burritoes r killer!
but even on a budget of nothing I still managed to make some great food in college. nice to have a little bit of a budget now days.

You have to look for a grocery outlet type store. I can't buy veggies for 19 cents, but I can always get them for 33 cents at Aldi's. They don't have many name brands and they don't take coupons, but they have good prices on most things. They don't have much meat and the produce is very basic and they don't always have some items, but I buy things there and the quality is comparable to a regular grocery store. We have another store called Price Rite that is similar, except that store carries more in the meat and produce line. It reminds me of what a grocery store was in my youth before the "Mega-mart" as AB says, came into existence. You do have to bring your own bags and do your own bagging, but ther is money to be saved.

Back
Top Bottom