This plating looks odd... any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
so today I made pineapple glazed pork chop. I tried to plate it with red cabbage, pineapple slice and mashed potato (under the pork chop), but it looks kind of busy. Any suggestion on how to make this better?

34g4rid.jpg

It seems like it could use more potatoes under the pork. The pork looks like it's floating on the end closest to the camera resulting in that harsh shadow. Seeing the potatoes sticking out from that end of the pork would give a "grounding" effect to the image. Not sure the parsley needs to be in the pic. Where it is placed seems to separate the pork from the cabbage. And the size of the parsley seems too big to me (if you intend to keep it on the plate, try a smaller piece).
Maybe the cabbage could go on top of the pork? The pineapple could be cut into smaller pieces and be part of the cabbage? Although, in my mind there should be apple in the cabbage (and no pineapple at all) as this really looks like a Bavarian dish. The plate seems too big also. A lot of white space is left over. Maybe this would plate nicely in a bowl with a wide rim?

I would serve the potatoes on the side, maybe with a minced parsley garnish on top. The first thing I would do is move the chop over so that I could cut it. Then maybe the cabbage on the side with only the pineapple slice on top. I'm not a fan of food "tower" presentations.

I came back to suggest you could also try rotating the plate so the cabbage is in the foreground. Sort of make the appearance of the plating "narrower" as it seems a bit wide in the picture. Then you could zoom in a bit more so not as much of the blank areas of the plate show in the picture.

I would simply angle the pork chop differently. I would put the pork chop at a slight angle so that you could see some of the potatoes. I also might remove the parsley.

I really don't see where it looks like a pork chop - seems more to be 'mystery meat' - and as far as what is visible it seems to be mostly 'mystery fat'

Parsley fine for the color - but why looking greasy and/or 'glazed?'

Red cabbage will never win any prizes for the way it looks - here or anywhere (can taste great tho :) )

OK - remember YOU asked :ermm:

Last edited:
Slightly separate the cabbage from the rest of the food. Now its close to the same colour so it kind of blends into the chop.

The chop does look like its floating and does not look natural. I like the idea of letting the camera see some of the potatoes sticking out. If you do that you might need to suport the other side of the chop with something (edible or safe).

Green does help to break up the browns and blacks. I have found its better to chop the green stuff.

Better lighting would also help.

Here is a pic I took that might give you some ideas.

img_1066283_0_dc6d19646db6428c5dbed39777c9cf36.jpg

lol powerplantop nice picture. I think I'm really restricted by my plates, cuz I only have round and oval shaped plates. I need to go get more fancy ones.

lol powerplantop nice picture. I think I'm really restricted by my plates, cuz I only have round and oval shaped plates. I need to go get more fancy ones.

I think you should work with what you have until you get the look you are after!

Stretch your imagination not your wallet.

That is what the restaurants do.

I think you should work with what you have until you get the look you are after!

yea, the problem is I really don't know what's the look I'm looking for... like I don't have a mental picture of good looking food, cuz any food that tastes good looks good to me lol... I guess I don't have a artistic brain :(

Aunt Bea, that is great advice. I often have the picture in mind before I buy the food to cook. I do modify the plating etc based on how things turn out.

yea, the problem is I really don't know what's the look I'm looking for... like I don't have a mental picture of good looking food, cuz any food that tastes good looks good to me lol... I guess I don't have a artistic brain :(

Steal as many good ideas as you can.

Practice, most of us get at least three chances a day.

It's like comedy, not many new jokes, just new audiences.:LOL:

Follow the link in my sig to flickr look at some of the photos that I have taken. The ones that you like see what groups they are in and look at the photos in those groups. You will get lots of ideas.

Also look to the right of the photo and you will see something like.

This photo was taken on November 9, 2010 using a Nikon D5000.

If you click on the camera it will show you the Exif data. Lots of info like Exposure and Aperture will be displayed. This are the things that give the artistic look. Example a blurred background.

Last edited:
Some other suggestions. Have fun with the food. Try different compositions and angles. Let the food speak to you. Have fun with lighting. Try to avoid harsh shadows or too much frontal lighting as it will flatten the appearance of the food in the pic. Turn off the camera's onboard flash if that's an option.
For instance, these deviled eggs are kind of a fun food, so I took the pic from overhead instead of at a more traditional angle.
2782198420100948274S200x200Q85.jpg

Or maybe you want to show the texture of something like in this loaf of bread I made. Used lighting from an open window to light up the loaf.
2301980900100948274S200x200Q85.jpg

Or perhaps just a tighter crop to make the plate appear full of food.
2859363530100948274S200x200Q85.jpg

Try showing the potatoes more and slicing/fanning out the meat with the pineapple diced on top. You could also mold the cabbage and put your parsley on top of that.

Yard sales! I find a wealth of one-of-a-kind plates at yard sales! There always seems to be at least one!

Good hunting!!!!

Yard sales! I find a wealth of one-of-a-kind plates at yard sales! There always seems to be at least one!

Good hunting!!!!

Yard sales and thrift stores. You can find plates and all kinds of goodies for the back ground. Stuff from broken sets can make nice props.

I really don't see where it looks like a pork chop - seems more to be 'mystery meat' - and as far as what is visible it seems to be mostly 'mystery fat'

Parsley fine for the color - but why looking greasy and/or 'glazed?'

Red cabbage will never win any prizes for the way it looks - here or anywhere (can taste great tho :) )

OK - remember YOU asked :ermm:
I totally agree with you lol

I agree with potatoes on the side. Everything looks so dark against the stark white plate. Potatoes on the side would help even things out. Also the picture doesn't do it any justice because of the harsh shadows.

I have never been a fan of piling or stacking food. Sure it can look good but you are going to disassemble it anyway so why bother? I don't mind it touching or overlapping, but it should be ready to start eating as soon as it is served. So, I would spread it out more.

Back
Top Bottom