Tomatoes and joint inflammation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, thanks guys. I'm beginning to see some light down that tunnel.

You know of course, with my short term memory, I might end up asking all these questions again! :ermm::rolleyes:

I ask the same questions over an dover, myself. Sometimes, when answering myself, the answer has changed.

Deb555, you'll want to become acquainted with the elimination diet, and also be aware of the FODMAP diet in case you need to explore that too. There are many examples of both to follow on the internet. One example: https://www.wholefoodsplantbasedhealth.com.au/tag/elimination-diet/

I want to encourage you to try the elimination diet. It takes quite a long time to get through it and you'll need the patience of a saint. Go YOU!

I would not recommend starting a FODMAP diet without consulting your doctor first. From Wikipedia,
The use of a low FODMAP diet without a previous medical evaluation could cause health risks because it can ameliorate and mask digestive symptoms of celiac disease, delaying or avoiding its correct diagnosis and therapy

Thank you both for your advice.

FODMAP - I never considered it, but I do have a few books on it that I will look at. I do know that there is no chance of my having celiac disease. And I do consult my doctor on everything.

And now, info on oils I found and verified on 4 different sites:

"OLIVE OIL
How much: Two to three tablespoons daily.

Why: Olive oil is loaded with heart-healthy fats, as well as oleocanthal, which has properties similar to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). “Oleocanthal inhibits activity of COX enzymes, with a pharmacological action similar to ibuprofen,” says Ordovás. Inhibiting these enzymes dampens the body’s inflammatory processes and reduces pain sensitivity.

Best sources: Extra virgin olive oil goes through less refining and processing, so it retains more nutrients than standard varieties. And it’s not the only oil with health benefits. Avocado and safflower oils have shown cholesterol-lowering properties, while walnut oil has 10 times the omega-3s that olive oil has."

I find the technical information interesting as to the effects that olive oil has that are similar to ibuprofen. And wow, there are products, although I don't know about those yet (or even "if"). Also, that walnut oil has major Omega-3s, that is also essential for reducing inflammation. I've never used it, ever, nor had a desire to.

Yep, it'll take a while to do an elimination diet. Who knows how far I'll get. I have spent several years, now, on figuring this out. If I had begun with a proper elimination diet, I believe I would have a much better idea by now. It's been a little at a time. I was hoping someone had done an elimination diet and outlined their process in this forum. I don't find a diet plan or anything on this site, but I'm sure I'll find lots of recipes once I figure out what I need to do.

Oh, and I did ask my doctor about the OmegaXL you see on infomercials late at night, LOL. I wondered if he thought it might actually work, did he know of anyone taking it, etc. He did not, but what he said was that even if it didn't work, it wouldn't be harmful.

At some point, he said, I should consider consulting a rheumatologist, and I would also ask them about that. The idea of it is desirable, but it feels like snake oil, LOL.

So, I am interested in Whole Food cooking, but not the Whole 30 diet which is a scam.

I am wondering what actual name or term I ought to be looking for?

I have planned an elimination diet, and am interested in finding menus and recipes. Well, I will continue to look :)

Thanks for the information on all of this.

Whole Food Plant Based WFPB is the most basic.
Nutritarian-Fuhrman, Starch based-McDougall, Daily Dozen-Greger, Low calorie density food-Chef AJ, other doctors and professionals, Barnard, Esselstyn, Popper, Brenda Davis. These are essentially all wfpb, each has a different focus or method but they only differ in very small ways. Some of the doctor's have their own elimination diet plans, some have variations in their diet for the purpose of weightloss or heart disease or diabetes or anti-inflammation.
Organizations that have stances on these are, PCRM, Forks Over Knives.
Movies and books about this: Forks Over Knives, The Game Changers, many more.

Here are two of the seven things to know about the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. Judge the other recommendations above accordingly.
1. PCRM is an animal rights group, not a real “physicians committee.” Contrary to what its name implies, less than four percent of PCRM’s members are actual physicians. Among the group’s relatively few active physicians is PCRM president (and former PETA Foundation president) Neal Barnard, a vegan psychiatrist who claims that cheese is “dairy crack” and “morphine on a cracker.”

2. PCRM’s anti-meat activism is bought and paid for by the wealthiest animal rights activist in America. Through her personal foundation, Animal Rights Foundation of Florida founder Nanci Alexander provides more than 60 percent of PCRM’s $9 million budget. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has steered another $1.3 million to PCRM. This explains why the group’s platform has more to do with the “rights" of animals than the health of people.
https://www.consumerfreedom.com/articles/168-7-things-you-didnt-know-about-pcrm/

So, I am interested in Whole Food cooking, but not the Whole 30 diet which is a scam.

I am wondering what actual name or term I ought to be looking for?

I have planned an elimination diet, and am interested in finding menus and recipes. Well, I will continue to look :)

Thanks for the information on all of this.
Can you explain more about what you mean by "whole food cooking"? I buy whole fresh or frozen fruits, vegetables, fish, seafood and meat and make meals from them. Are you referring to something else?

Can you explain more about what you mean by "whole food cooking"? I buy whole fresh or frozen fruits, vegetables, fish, seafood and meat and make meals from them. Are you referring to something else?

No, that's what I was looking for. I saw some threads here, but they confused me, as they people were saying they can have things not allowed on any elimination diet I can find, and I have spent hours and hours studying this and comparing, and googling, you name it. I have a dozen books on my Nook, and they pretty much all say the same thing, whether written by a doctor, or a nutritionist, or a place like the May Clinic.

I somehow thought there was a movement for Whole Food Cooking, but not one that says "lose 30 pounds in 30 days", but one that says "eat non-processed, fresh foods". I think maybe I am mixing up the name in my head. There is also something called "Clean Eating, which I haven't looked at yet.

This elimination diet thing doesn't allow any processed foods, not even any kind of oils that are not cold-pressed (really only olive oil), or hot dogs, cold cuts, etc. No dairy, and only chicken, turkey and lamb, along with fish (recommended are oily fishes like salmon). It allows most fresh vegetables, except corn and corn products, but no nightshade veggies, though, as I am doing this for arthritis pain. I can use all herbs and spices, but no condiments except mustard made with apple cider vinegar.

So since I am a cheese-loving, prepared-food kind of person I need help and ideas. I cook, but most of what I cook with is not allowed. Heaven help me. I put soy sauce in lots of dishes, and can't use that. I had already figured out soy of any kind seems to increase the pain.

It's really is only temporary, and I think I have a good idea of what I have issues with, but of course the intent of this is to pinpoint the problem foods. I am just now thinking gluten is one thing that is causing me pain. I never would have thought so, I like my whole grains, to be sure.

So I am trying to avoid endless meals of brown rice, sweet potato, spinach or kale, and chicken, LOL. Well, I have also read eating the same meals day after day isn't healthy, either.

Last edited:
I hope you take this in the spirit with which it's intended, which is with honesty and care. If you have serious questions about how a diet can influence your health, please ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietician. They can provide science-based advice tailored to your needs.

Otherwise, please don't get caught up in diet culture. This was written by a registered dietician who debunks all the crap out there.

https://abbylangernutrition.com/what-is-the-perfect-diet-you-might-be-surprised/

I hope you take this in the spirit with which it's intended, which is with honesty and care. If you have serious questions about how a diet can influence your health, please ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietician. They can provide science-based advice tailored to your needs.

Otherwise, please don't get caught up in diet culture. This was written by a registered dietician who debunks all the crap out there.

https://abbylangernutrition.com/what-is-the-perfect-diet-you-might-be-surprised/

My doctor is who recommended this to get a handle on my arthritis pain. It's a diet for only a few weeks, and it will determine exactly what is causing my pain. I am specifically posting tonight because all I want is recipes for this type of diet, not diet advice.

This is NOT for weight loss. To the point: I have suffered for several years with pain in my hip, leg and knee, as well as my lower back. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. When it's worse I need a cane to walk 10 feet to my bathroom. The pain is progressively getting worse, and at one point around 3 years ago someone said "don't eat nightshades" and because I didn't spend a lot of time on it, it's taken me this long to get to where I now know that most of my pain is dietary.

For several weeks, or even more than a month, the pain had been severe. I had to get a medical procedure (not having to do with this) and fasted for one day and half. The day after the procedure, I was pain-free in my hip, and the pain in my knee and back was less than half. Clearly, my pain is caused by the foods I eat.

My doctor recommended the University of Wisconsin Elimination Diet, and all of this is with his blessing. Neither of us think that 3-4 weeks of this diet can do anything but help. Plus, it happens to be healthier than what I currently eat, all by itself, LOL.

All i wanted was some darn recipes. I give up.

Deb, I wasn't clear on the fact that you were looking for recipes that would suit your elimination diet. If we know exactly what you are allowed to eat, I'm sure we can come up with at least a few recipes that will suit your elimination diet. I tried doing an internet search for "University of Wisconsin Elimination Diet" and it seems that they have quite a few different elimination diets. Can you share a link to the appropriate one?

Deb, I wasn't clear on the fact that you were looking for recipes that would suit your elimination diet. If we know exactly what you are allowed to eat, I'm sure we can come up with at least a few recipes that will suit your elimination diet. I tried doing an internet search for "University of Wisconsin Elimination Diet" and it seems that they have quite a few different elimination diets. Can you share a link to the appropriate one?

I realize when I began posting to this thread, I had not yet figured out about the Elimination Diet, or asked my doctor about it, and was just replying about the tomatoes and inflammation, as this is one thing I do know a little about.

My doctor recommended that diet, but the best foods list I found was in a different one, and I am on a different computer and everything is saved and bookmarked somewhere else. But I didn't want to ignore this post, I do appreciate every reply.

Basics:

Only meats are chicken, turkey, fish (I have seen lamb but I am not sure, and I don't buy it much anyway, it's too expensive). I will spring for salmon, though.

No eggs or dairy. That includes butter, milk, butter spreads, yogurt, cream cheese, ricotta, etc. - you get it, LOL.

No wheat or anything with gluten, including whole grains. So I can eat brown rice, rice pastas, quinoa, and a bunch of other things I don't like so I didn't retain the names in my brain.

I can eat most fresh or frozen fruits - no citrus, though.

No soy, and that includes edamame, soy milk, soy sauce, soy sprouts, etc.

No beans or legumes, as I am not a vegetarian. Not sure why they make that distinction.

Of course, NO SUGAR. That seems to be the most likely to trigger pain, for me. Processed sugar, not sugar from conversion of complex carbohydrates.

I can eat most vegetables - especially leafy greens - but not the nightshades. No potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, etc. And NO CORN.

No processed foods, especially hot dogs, cold cuts, etc. I can have things like chicken sausages, if made without anything with gluten. I guess they mean fillers?

I can use all the herbs and spices except peppers, but not condiments. I can only use mustard made with apple cider vinegar. And I hate cilantro.

Nothing with thickeners, like gravies.

I didn't even get that gluten causes inflammation. I don't have celiac nor has it ever been suspected, so I didn't think gluten would matter. But, last night I had a dish with farro, feta chick peas, chicken and kale, and this morning had the worst pain in 3 weeks. I suspect gluten is an issue, and it is talked about in every elimination diet article. But I don't really know, and that's why I am doing this.

I just wanted some recipe ideas, if there are things in any recipe that sounds good, but that I can't have, maybe I can substitute something.

I am going to start with collards cooked with smoked turkey, in broth, and add brown rice. I can chop some onions, that's OK. But geez, I need more ideas than plain baked chicken an brown rice every night with something green. I thought maybe following a whole food diet (which is maybe the wrong thing to call it) with fresh foods, would give me some variety.

Last edited:
Maybe you should start a thread called "Request for recipes for elimination diet" or something like that. Then you could include your list of restrictions in the first post. I'm sure I can think of something.

A few questions:

1. Are mushrooms allowed?
  2. Are you allowed lacto-fermented pickles, without additives?
  3. Sauerkraut without additives?
  4. Coconut milk?
  5. Nuts?
  6. Seeds?
  7. Canned or jarred anchovies?

I was just looking at recipes for menu planning for the upcoming week. I came across this recipe. I think the only thing you might need to change is the Dijon mustard. I'm pretty sure that plain mustard powder would work fine with this. It does make a lot, so you might want to use half a chicken.

Roast, spatchcocked chicken on roasted vegis

Maybe you should start a thread called "Request for recipes for elimination diet" or something like that. Then you could include your list of restrictions in the first post. I'm sure I can think of something.

A few questions:

1. Are mushrooms allowed? YES
  2. Are you allowed lacto-fermented pickles, without additives? DON'T KNOW IF I CAN EVEN GET THEM, I'LL SAY NO
  3. Sauerkraut without additives? NO, NOT A FRESH VEGGIE
  4. Coconut milk? YES - SWITCHING TO IT FROM ALMOND MILK. ALMOND MILK ISN'T ALLOWED.
  5. Nuts? I AM UNCLEAR, IT DEPENDS ON WHICH ARTICLE I SEE. I'M THINKING NO, THOUGH.
  6. Seeds? YES
  7. Canned or jarred anchovies? NO, NOT A FRESH FISH

Thanks for the recipe in the next post. It will absolutely work! Yes, I would use ground mustard, instead. I have never spatchcocked a chicken. But I've wanted to try it, so now's a good time to try. I bought chicken breasts, but will be going shopping tomorrow of Monday for this diet.

I guess I ought to have started a new post. My original plan was to lurk and find other threads, but it didn't happen that way. The few I did see had different needs than I do, and I couldn't use the few recipes I saw, except there was one with broccoli and rice noodles that I'm going to try.

Deb, I didn't mean to discourage you. Now that we have a better idea of what you can and can't eat (and that this is with your doctor's advice), I'm sure we can suggest recipes for you. It's late here, but I will ponder it and get back to you tomorrow. Take care.

PS. Starting a new thread is a good idea.

Last edited:
I was just looking at recipes for menu planning for the upcoming week. I came across this recipe. I think the only thing you might need to change is the Dijon mustard. I'm pretty sure that plain mustard powder would work fine with this. It does make a lot, so you might want to use half a chicken.

Roast, spatchcocked chicken on roasted vegis

Yes, this is good. And a lot is fine, my DH will love this, too. And we like leftovers, LOL.

Deb, I didn't mean to discourage you. Now that we have a better idea of what you can and can't eat (and that this is with your doctor's advice), I'm sure we can suggest recipes for you. It's late here, but I will ponder it and get back to you tomorrow. Take care.

PS. Starting a new thread is a good idea.

And I am sorry I got cranky. I am not best pleased with any part of this, but it felt so good to be pain-free (relatively) and to realize I can do something about it that it's taken over my life at the moment, and there is some frustration.

I think tomorrow I will start a new thread, I probably oughtn't to have highjacked this one, it was unintentional. I hope the OP did get some benefit from it, though.

Back
Top Bottom