Trying new ingredients/recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
OK, I give up! I've searched but can't find this line and I know it was around here at one time! Moderators, do your thing and move me if you need to!

When was the last time you tried something truly new to you and how did it turn out?

I saw horseradish root in the grocery store, and thought, what the heck? I love horseradish so bought it.

I found it difficult to use, dirty, and rather than that hot, nasal passage clearing effect I so love, it was more bitter. I grated it into a slaw (and I've used prepared from the store in slaws often) and it just didn't do much for me. I'm back to Bucky Badger (a local brand) and Inglehoff (a brand of condiments I like for the size of the jar since I'm usually buying for two and don't want jars of condiments moving into my fridge for all eternity!).

Now it probably wasn't as fresh as it could have been. But still, won't try it again unless someone offers me some from their garden (a lot of people grow it here, just not any of my friends right now).

What have you tried lately and how was your success.

I bought some "fresh" horseradish for the first time recently. It was dark, but firm. I cut off the dark bits and the rest of it was all I could have hoped for.

I purchased some fresh ginger 3 days ago to try in a recipe. Probably not a big deal for many of you. But it was a first for me. I peeled it and sliced it with a razor blade so it was paper thin and laid it across chicken that I beat the crap out of with a hammer. Cooked in a skillet with some gravy and other spices and served over pasta.

The ginger cooked well and I was pleased with the way it turned out. Not sure I'd be brave enough to try horseradish though.

The ginger cooked well and I was pleased with the way it turned out.

I love fresh ginger!

The most recent new food I've tried was rockfish (also called striped bass). It was delicious! Tastes like fish (duh), but has a firmer, meatier texture than what I'm used to eating, so it seemed more substantial to me.

If you grated the horseradish and you didn't get 100X the tearing of an onion, I doubt it was fresh!:LOL:

Craig

Claire I grow chrain and beetroot to make a relish, you have to be over 21yrs or suffering with bronchtis to eat it, you are quite right horseraddish is one of the most powerfull roots around and should clear your tubes like a dynorod.

Back
Top Bottom