Turkey Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I'd care for the taste to deeply toasted flour in my gravy. Plus too much time.

Other than that, he makes his gravy the way I do. I already made up some stock over the weekend using a package of wings. I'll simmer the giblets in it and use it with the drippings to make gravy. I made about a gallon last year with 2 turkeys.

Browning flour to make gravy is an old trick. Browned in oil or butter it's called a roux.
Browning the flour in a dry pan (no oil) either on the stove, in the stove or in a microwave will work as well as a thickening agent. IMO it does not taste nearly as good as the roux however.

I'm trying to watch the video right now. it is pretty annoing. I would have been dome by now. Oh, thanks G-d, it's over.
Where is animal right people when you need them. Feeding poor dog gravy, bad people.

2 cups of flour, thats like more than a galon of gravy in the end, I just do not know if one needs that much gravy.
I've asked here about gravy, I think last year. And recieved few great advizes here. And seence been making gravy on a regular bases, falowinf said advise and it is always great. And there is always pleny.

It's OK, but for gravy made from broth I prefer to disolve some corn starch in milk, then stir that into the broth and cook to thicken. It makes a very creamy gravy without the flour overhead.

GG, I make tons of gravy when I cook my turkey. I begin by browning then braising, in homemade chicken stock, 2 pounds of turkey necks. I usually get at least 2 cups of rich broth. I save the necks. They get cooked with the giblets from the turkey, which produces a nice turkey broth. I save the water from my russet potatoes, too.

Finally, when I cook my turkey I drape it with several layers of butter and wine soaked cheesecloth. After I remove the cheesecloth, which is nice and brown and filled with "yummies" I put it into the potato water so the flavor and browned bits come out.

Now, it's time to make gravy. From the roasting pan I strain the drippings and defat it. Once it's defatted, I return it to the pan and stir in some flour and stir until the mixture begins to bubble and starts to thicken. At this point I add the broth from the turkey necks and as much of the giblet water and infused potato water as I need.

I easily get close to a gallon of rich, brown turkey gravy. Even from a small turkey.

GG, I make tons of gravy when I cook my turkey. I begin by browning then braising, in homemade chicken stock, 2 pounds of turkey necks. I usually get at least 2 cups of rich broth. I save the necks. They get cooked with the giblets from the turkey, which produces a nice turkey broth. I save the water from my russet potatoes, too.

Finally, when I cook my turkey I drape it with several layers of butter and wine soaked cheesecloth. After I remove the cheesecloth, which is nice and brown and filled with "yummies" I put it into the potato water so the flavor and browned bits come out.

Now, it's time to make gravy. From the roasting pan I strain the drippings and defat it. Once it's defatted, I return it to the pan and stir in some flour and stir until the mixture begins to bubble and starts to thicken. At this point I add the broth from the turkey necks and as much of the giblet water and infused potato water as I need.

I easily get close to a gallon of rich, brown turkey gravy. Even from a small turkey.

That's basically what I do, too, without the cheesecloth or the potato water (might try that trick though!). I use wings and not necks because necks are harder for me to find.

Sounds fabulous :) Thanks, Katie.

I am alone in my gravy boat in my house.

DH likes it, he doesn't smother/ I on the other hand am usually asked by his truely.... would you like potatoes with your gravy??? Quite frankly no. Leave me alone with my gravy!!!:pig::pig:

Anyway, I think the flour toasted really makes it taste less floury, and is worth the extra 10 min.

"several layers of butter and wine soaked cheesecloth."

Wring that out over the turkey and I'll be happy!!!!:)

My Mom often toasted her flour as Uncle Bob suggested.

I need to get in on this thread. I've never made giblet gravy and don't really care for it, but DH does. I remember giblet gravy having hardboiled egg in it.
Can someone give me directions for it please?

Back
Top Bottom