What are you cooking this weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got a whole lot of prep cooking I'm doing this weekend.

I'm trying this stew: Weekend Beef Stew | mrfood.com
Got everything to make my version of this:
Country Vegetable Casserole (Country vegetable casserole - Chatelaine Recipes)
Bread machine Stuffing bread (inspiration--I'll be using fresh herbs, adding some chopped cranberries)
Bread Machine Turkey Stuffing Bread Recipe from CDKitchen.com
Srirachi Fridge Pickles
Sriracha Fridge Pickles: Recipe: bonappetit.com
Some hashbrowns for the freezer (this is how I do mine--but I have also nuked the potatoes to bake them and had success--I usually sprinkle a bit of vinegar over them before I pop them in the freezer and I usually form them into patties)

I really should figure out a nice meal for Monday, since it Canadian Thanksgiving. It won't be turkey. I don't like turkey enough to buy it. Maybe I'll make a rolled, stuffed pork loin roast.

Bread machine Stuffing bread (inspiration--I'll be using fresh herbs, adding some chopped cranberries)
Srirachi Fridge Pickles
Some hashbrowns for the freezer (this is how I do mine--but I have also nuked the potatoes to bake them and had success--I usually sprinkle a bit of vinegar over them before I pop them in the freezer and I usually form them into patties)

Re: My take on the Country Vegetable Casserole recipe. I use veggies from the garden. Since spinach is something we harvest in the spring, I use chard. I add some sliced carrots, use whatever sweet peppers I have (today I had a green one and a red one), yellow and green zucchini, party-pan squash, onions in place of the leeks (leeks didn't fare well this year), and whatever mix of cheese I have. I bleach the cauliflower in a bowl with water to which vinegar is added. I have some swiss, parm, and soft mozz., so those are the cheeses. I also add some grated jalapeno (to the grated cheeses and the veg. mix) because we love jalapeno with just about everything and add some minced It. parsley to the veg mix. I assemble it, put it in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight (minus the bread crumbs), and then bake it according to the instructions. For those who don't like cauliflower, broccoli could be subbed for that. I've made this several times. It is quite tasty and, if you have vegetarians joining you during the holidays, it is a nice dish to include.

Oops--forgot a link re: freezer hashbrowns--here's one: http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/make-your-own-frozen-hashbrowns

Last edited:
I really should figure out a nice meal for Monday, since it Canadian Thanksgiving. It won't be turkey. I don't like turkey enough to buy it. Maybe I'll make a rolled, stuffed pork loin roast.
Yum--with red cabbage, some potato pancakes...I can taste it from here, TL!

Yum--with red cabbage, some potato pancakes...I can taste it from here, TL!
Red cabbage, good idea. I just bought one. Red cabbage is a staple around here, well at least in winter.

But not potato pancakes. I'll either roast some potato boats around the roast or make Hasselback potatis.

The Hasselback potatis sound great! A friend of mine from Greece used to roast potatoes in the oven. Basically she'd cut the potatoes in half, sprinkle generously with fresh rosemary, sea salt, pepper. She'd put in about 1 c water and 1/2 c olive oil, roast for 1.5 hours at 400. They were soooooo good.

Going with the classic turkey dinner here. It's what my mother likes. She isn't very adventurous. I'll be prepping it at home and driving it to her place to put in the oven. We are going to sort the veggies and sides out when we get there. The usual suspects.
Heading into Ottawa this afternoon to have some Pho with my daughter seeing she won't be able to make it tomorrow. Maybe hit a value village for some bargoooooons.
Thinking about slow roasted pork belly for Monday. Will have to take that out tonight and get it marinating before I leave tomorrow. Craving some sort of saucy potato. May go with scalloped or a creamy au gratin.....

Last edited:
The Hasselback potatis sound great! A friend of mine from Greece used to roast potatoes in the oven. Basically she'd cut the potatoes in half, sprinkle generously with fresh rosemary, sea salt, pepper. She'd put in about 1 c water and 1/2 c olive oil, roast for 1.5 hours at 400. They were soooooo good.
But, potatoes seasoned and then roasted where they will get a lot of pork fat are sooooo yummy. Oh and we toss the potato boats in olive oil to make the seasonings stick.

I'm making a big batch of black bean wild rice soup. I think I'll sub a smoked pork chop for the smoked turkey this time. The smoked chops were too salty to eat grilled, but should be good in soup.

Food Network Magazine's Primavera with Prosciutto, Asparagus, and Carrots. Good, colorful, and relatively healthy, except for the heavy cream, which I love.

I'm making a big batch of black bean wild rice soup. I think I'll sub a smoked pork chop for the smoked turkey this time. The smoked chops were too salty to eat grilled, but should be good in soup.
I'm making that next weekend with leftover turkey. Gotta love fall when we can start eating soups, stews, potages, and chili again! I think the smoked pork will work. I used a couple of smoked hocks one time last winter when I made it.

Srirachi Fridge Pickles

Critique of the new recipes tried:

The Turkey Stuffing Bread is excellent. We'll see how it works for stuffing! The Weekend Beef Stew...the meat is super tender. Not sure if that is thanks to the coffee or not. The broth needed some help, so I added some beef stock when I added the veggies. I also added about 1T of black strap molasses when I started cooking the meat (hour 1). I used fresh thyme sprigs instead of dried thyme, added a "glug" of red wine. I also added rutabaga because I had a huge one sitting here begging to be part of the stew. At the last 5 minutes, (before thickening the stock), I added 1 tsp of fresh orange zest. I'd make it again. It isn't crockpot friendly because you add the veggies after 1 hour of simmering the meat. The pickles will be part of T-day on Monday.

Time to clean up the kitchen, lock up the chickens, and pack the food in the car and head out to the farm for date night. I have an hour to get out of here.

The family is looking forward to chicken and cheese enchilladas, rice, beans and fruit or dessert which I can't resist, appy will be dolce gorgonzola on Belgian endive with toasted walnuts and some mango and peach salsa with chips.
kades:yum:

Today (Sunday) is to be my "big cooking" day. I've had a taste for meatloaf lately, so will do that. I have a friend in home hospice and I'm told she likes soup, so will make some potato leek to send off to her and a batch for my shut-in ladies. Since my husband LOVES meatloaf sandwiches, the meatloaf will be as large as the loaf pan allows.

Today (Sunday) is to be my "big cooking" day. I've had a taste for meatloaf lately, so will do that. I have a friend in home hospice and I'm told she likes soup, so will make some potato leek to send off to her and a batch for my shut-in ladies. Since my husband LOVES meatloaf sandwiches, the meatloaf will be as large as the loaf pan allows.

We are having a "big cooking" day. Making some more time consuming meals that will be eaten during the week.

Back
Top Bottom