Why is my borscht bright red and not purple?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
When I make borscht, I first roast the beet, and then cook the soup with onion and garlic. This is what I made yesterday:

4qjtsn.jpg

I just don't know why it looks bright red and not purple like those from the internet? I added cream too.

Here's a sample purple borscht:

summer-borscht.jpg

Internet pictures don't always represent true colors or shades. Very seldom does anyone do any color adjustment to their photos.

It may indeed be purple soup, but not necessarily a fact

It may also represent a different variety of beet than you are using.

There are many varieties of beets all with different colours and shades of purple. Go for a darker beet and the colour will be darker. The taste will still be the same.

agreed on the 'different type' - we're having a good year for beets in the garden - and they're a beautiful deep purple - not the purplepink of the net photo.

in past years with different varieties we have gotten more to the red side - ala your fixing.

Also, if you pureed the soup with a blender/stick blender, you incorporated air which can change the color.

I think it's because my soup was hot and the net pic is a cold soup. I think it's the same mechanism at work as purple cabbage. When you boil the purple cabbage it's turns bright red and then when it cools down it turns purple again.

Back
Top Bottom