Why remove the seeds from vanilla beans for extract?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

visionviper

Assistant Cook
I enjoy going overboard on many things and one of them is making my own vanilla extract. Some recipes I find says to split the beans to remove the caviar from the beans. This, of course, is quite labor intensive since I have to find my way through 1/2lb of vanilla beans. Is there any reason for this? Is it really a required step?

Other recipes have various methods of preparing the beans. Some have you simply split the beans others nothing at at all. Will I be find if I just cut them up and throw them in my bottles?

All I do is cut them into about 1 inch lengths and put them into the bottles. My extract is the best I have ever tried.

Extraction probably happens faster as more surface is exposed, but I have more time to wait than I have time to fiddle with a pound of beans.

...Some recipes I find says to split the beans to remove the caviar from the beans....

Only if you're going to put the caviar into the bottle with the rest of the bean.

I don't know if doing this is necessary. It would probably make the extraction a little quicker.

I would consider splitting them in half.

As I recall, the Penzeys vanilla I emptied had 1 to 2" chunks of bean. I split some of my new beans, leaving the bean halves together and intact, and am steeping in vodka.

Last edited:
I split one or two beans the long way and put them in a 750ml bottle of vodka or light rum. I do this in January or February and begin using it the following November. I shake the bottle when I think of it and the seeds eventually come away from the pods. I like the light rum better than vodka, it really depends on what gift bottle I have on hand. In my house a bottle lasts a couple of years and it gets better as it ages.

I cut the beans so that they will lay in the bottom of the bottle better( and not stick up when the bottle runs down a bit), and split, but I don't scrape out the seeds, they will find their way out as it steeps.

I use 6-8 (usually 8) beans per cup of vodka. So a 750 ml. bottle gets a bit poured off to make 3 cups (about 1/4 cup) and 24 beans.

I enjoy going overboard on many things and one of them is making my own vanilla extract. Some recipes I find says to split the beans to remove the caviar from the beans. This, of course, is quite labor intensive since I have to find my way through 1/2lb of vanilla beans. Is there any reason for this? Is it really a required step?

Other recipes have various methods of preparing the beans. Some have you simply split the beans others nothing at at all. Will I be find if I just cut them up and throw them in my bottles?

It is the strongest section, more intense flavour :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom