Arby's Cajun Fish Review....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
CajunFishSandwich_18_tile_Desktop_1024x557.jpg

This is new for the few month time period.

For me the price for just the sandwich alone was 3.49. I was able to get the small meal for 6.69

I do see Arby's is including the Fish sandwich in a 2 for a certain price deal.

The sandwich includes a so called Cajun remoulade sauce.

I say I would have liked some more sauce on it as it was not bad at all and had some good flavor to it.

The fish was really good as always though.

I have to give this fast food item a big thumbs up and a must try.

About twice a year I crave an Arby's Classic Roast Beef sandwich.. It was a favorite when I was younger.. :yum:

I doubt I'd try their fish sandwich tho.. :ermm:

Ross

My favorite is the classic Arby's Beef & Cheddar. Haven't had one in a while, though, as I don't eat much fast food (but admittedly I'm a Taco Bell addict and even that I don't eat often).

However, I've had the regular crispy fish sandwich from Arby's that pops out every year at Lent and that one is good. But I don't like cajun anything, so this one doesn't appeal to me.

My favorite is the classic Arby's Beef & Cheddar. Haven't had one in a while, though, as I don't eat much fast food (but admittedly I'm a Taco Bell addict and even that I don't eat often).

However, I've had the regular crispy fish sandwich from Arby's that pops out every year at Lent and that one is good. But I don't like cajun anything, so this one doesn't appeal to me.
I guess you could say that the beef and cheddar is my “favorite” at Arby’s, too.

The thing is, I’ll order one, it’s gross, so I don’t order from Arby’s again for about 6 months. Then I start thinking, “mmmm, Arby’s sounds good!” and the cycle repeats.

Their gyros aren’t too bad, though, when they’ve got them.

I guess you could say that the beef and cheddar is my “favorite” at Arby’s, too.

The thing is, I’ll order one, it’s gross, so I don’t order from Arby’s again for about 6 months. Then I start thinking, “mmmm, Arby’s sounds good!” and the cycle repeats.

Their gyros aren’t too bad, though, when they’ve got them.

I do the same thing. But the Beef & Cheddar isn't the sandwich I have a problem with. Probably because it's got the cheese sauce and the red sauce on there, so it masks how horribly salty their meats are.

That's the part I have a problem with. Including the gyros. I tried the turkey gyro a couple of times, but couldn't finish it because of how salty the meat was. But, like you, I get that craving every so many months and go back. Eat half of any cold cut sandwich (except, again, the Beef & Cheddar - for whatever reason I can finish that one) and pitch the rest out because it's too salty to eat.

The regular fish sandwich at Lent, however, I can usually finish.

Here is the thing about cajun... everybody is doing it these days, but very few are doing it right. I lived in cajun country for ten years, and learned about cajun food from real cajun mamas and maw maws.

Real cajun is simple, yet so many cooks outside of cajun country don't understand it. People assume it is just a bunch of hot spices. It's not.

Cajun seasoning is a flavor profile that is hard to explain. Yes, it has heat, but it is not "in your face" heat. It creeps up on you. It doesn't make your mouth burn, but it does make your neck sweat. Real cajun food is very earthy, and very full of flavor. It is comfort food invented by poor people living in the lowlands of Southwest Louisiana.

It is not the same as Creole food, which comes from just East of cajun country. They share a lot of seasonings, but some ingredients and the taste are different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94VaS-riPjw

I lived in cajun country, so I know more about that food than Creole food. I like both, but am more nostalgic for cajun food.

If you don't like cajun, you have probably never actually had real cajun, because real cajun is so hard to find outside of cajun country.

If you like face melting spices, and that's what cajun means to you, then you haven't had real cajun.

CD

Ahh, okay, so the sauce is the Cajun part then? I thought maybe the fish itself was infused with Cajun spices.

It probably is seasoned with some cajun seasonings. But, if done right, it is not to0 heavy with heat.

Remoulade is not spicy (hot) at all.

CD

Remoulade over mystery fish (probably talapia from SE Asia) on a bun, a "Cajun" fish sandwich doesn't make. Try a catfish Po' Boy on fresh French bread, dressed. Garbage food places always basterdize real food.

It probably is seasoned with some cajun seasonings. But, if done right, it is not to0 heavy with heat.

Remoulade is not spicy (hot) at all.

CD

Most likely, I would ask that the sauce be left off altogether. But trying one probably isn't in my future, as I've cut way back on fatty (especially fried) foods, per doctors orders, so I better stick with baked fish for now. Something like this would be a rare treat.

Remoulade over mystery fish (probably talapia from SE Asia) on a bun, a "Cajun" fish sandwich doesn't make. Try a catfish Po' Boy on fresh French bread, dressed. Garbage food places always basterdize real food.

I love catfish. Growing up in Columbus, we also had a place at Lake Erie and would spend our summers there. The fish frys with the catfish, perch and walleye were simply amazing. I didn't care for the perch (way too 'fishy' for my taste) but the catfish and walleye was scrumptious and Po' Boys were a normal thing. Catfish is my favorite Po' Boy of all, but I also love shrimp and fried oysters.

Most likely, I would ask that the sauce be left off altogether. But trying one probably isn't in my future, as I've cut way back on fatty (especially fried) foods, per doctors orders, so I better stick with baked fish for now. Something like this would be a rare treat.
Remoulade sauce is of French origin. It's not hot at all. This is my favorite recipe for it: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f76/ginger-remoulade-for-fish-94201.html

I serve it with grilled or baked fish.

Last edited:
Ahh, okay, so the sauce is the Cajun part then? I thought maybe the fish itself was infused with Cajun spices.

Not at Arby's. The fish is going to be same weather you pick it up as a regular fish sandwich with tarter sauce on the regular bun, Kings Hawaiian bun with the tarter sauce, or the regular bun with the Cajun sauce.

Back
Top Bottom