ISO gasless broccoli...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL... evidently over time the name has changed for many reasons

Kombu
kunbu
kunfu - kofu

and probably even others that I can't even come close to pronouncing or figuring out the link of the similar sounding words in Chinese and Japanese and even into their dialectsl
I was reading something about it yesterday and apparently it has to do with the Chinese and Japanese writing characters. Since there's no English equivalent, the spellings have to be transliterated, or spelled in English the way they sound. And, of course, that can vary.

I find this stuff fascinating [emoji38] Sorry if I'm boring anyone.

Absolutely not! Never boring.

you are right, because a lot of their writing characters/symbols are similar with similar pronunciations this is were/when the "translations" start to vary.

Thanks so much for this post and by the way, it's good to meet you.:chef:
The word "konbu" was new to me, and here I am in the wee hours of the morning lost in a konbu rabbit hole. I sure know more than I did, and I'll try it when cooking broccoli next time.
I was turned on to a chef in Hawaii (love:wub: Hawaii) by our dear Kgirl here at DC, and I came across this recipe I want to try soon. I imagine you know how to make it also. Anyway, it looks like a lot of work, but I'll use my breakfast bar and stool to do much of the prep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PQDcRg_eg

Actually this prep looks a lot easier....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl_rAPtVAeM

Well now you did it, KL!
Dang it! :LOL:

First off, you had my salivary glands on hyper-over-drive!
I haven't had ANY kind of okazu-ya for 2 years :mad: miss me my local-kine grinds!

Second, I've heard in Hawaii the use of Kon and Kom -bu, so there's that.

Third, both Chef's are making the dish the same way, it's just that Chef Keoni (which BTW is Hawaiian for JOHN!!! as in Chef John :LOL:) is going step-by-step for you ... not too bad to make once you get the hang of the tying part.

and lastly, now I must make Kombu-Maki :yum: That should be a cute trick finding all of the ingredients here in The Middle Of The Desert :ROFLMAO:

I prefer mine at room temp with an Onigiri on the side,
oh and some Namasu, maybe a small scoop of Mac Salad, a piece of Kara'age, oh, oh and some Noodles for good luck!

https://www.honolulumagazine.com/best-okazuyas-on-oahu-our-top-5/

*sigh*

sigh.jpg

Now I miss home all over again ... we should have been there this month and into next, but ...

Okay, well the amount of fiber is a problem only in that if you increased your fiber you have more fluffiness.
If you have less fiber you get constipated.

The cole family often adds more fiber.

So it's a healthy thing to add more.

Same with legumes.

Okay so the gas issue or fluffiness can be dealt with to some extent with hing or fennel. Add hing to the sauces and chew fennel. There is a whole culture that uses hing and fennel in restaurants, to please their customers by providing candy coated fennel. The US doesn't do that.

After a person gets used to the more fiber situation, a healthy amount, the fluffyness decreases. So when I mentioned to my husband , your term, he laughed out loud. He said "I've never heard it termed that way.".
I agree with him and you.

The kombu has 5 years of a person's iodine needs in one package, ONE package, it is not heathy to eat it, so if you want to go ahead but its not recommended. Just because it is a food doensn't mean it's a safe food. The thyroid is particular and iodine needs are 'not too much not too little'. So eating kombu or using kombu is not something I will do. You can do it, whatever you want.

Flufferdoodles........I can't even say how funny that is.On a scale of 1-10 it's a ten. You get the award for funniest.

I wouldn't worry too much about consuming small amounts of cooked kombu. Besides the fact that boiling kombu leaches iodine from it, broccoli and many other brassicas are goitrogenic. That means that they interfere with the thyroid picking up iodine.

Extreme fluffledoodles. :LOL:

Do you take a daily probiotic? There are some that help with difficult digestion issues....though fluffledoodles are not specifically mentioned, they have a list of struggles that various brands can help. :)

Extreme fluffledoodles. :LOL:

Do you take a daily probiotic? There are some that help with difficult digestion issues....though fluffledoodles are not specifically mentioned, they have a list of struggles that various brands can help. :)

No in general more supplements are not insurance on health, and is not not more is better and probiotics like any other supplements can and do more harm than good (B12 and D3 are necessary) there are probiotics that can hurt so no. Not at all, not one and the one's I took are no better than others.

In medical studies, for pancreatitis probiotics killed more people than a sugar pill so, no. So if you're going to take them make sure you take them while you are not suffering a bout of pancreatic difficulty!! ! They are not in general bad for you, but no test studies tell you one way or another. But why take something that you have no clue about its effectiveness?

NO. I won't tell my children to take them. So between you and me, no please don't take them.

I have a neighbor up the street, her name is GIGI, I often trip her trigger and force her to respond, it's magical, she's a freak of nature. She doesn't seem to like information being out there. Except information is out there.

Thanks, Blissful.

A daily probiotic was a huge game-changer for me. It was recommended by my doctor including which type to take. That said, I do appreciate other points of view as what works for one might be harmful to another.

The kombu has 5 years of a person's iodine needs in one package, ONE package, it is not heathy to eat it, so if you want to go ahead but its not recommended. Just because it is a food doensn't mean it's a safe food. The thyroid is particular and iodine needs are 'not too much not too little'. So eating kombu or using kombu is not something I will do. You can do it, whatever you want.
According to this article from The Thyroid Research Journal, Japanese people eat more seaweed than just about any other culture and are also considered the healthiest people in the world. According to this article, 97 percent of iodine consumed by people is excreted in the urine and iodine has health benefits like preventing certain kinds of cancer. I don't think eating it occasionally is going to hurt anyone.

https://thyroidresearchjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1756-6614-4-14

Last edited:
Sincere thanks to {{all of you}} for all the interesting advice! :chef:

Like many people, I have my share of digestive problems. After all is said and done, poop happens except when it doesn't, and it's impossible to make my daily deposits to the Bank of Porcelain. :blink:

Sincere thanks to {{all of you}} for all the interesting advice! :chef:

Like many people, I have my share of digestive problems. After all is said and done, poop happens except when it doesn't, and it's impossible to make my daily deposits to the Bank of Porcelain. :blink:

BAHAHAHAHA!!!
I'm stealing that line KL!

For dinner last night I made Chicken Broccoli (we prefer this over Beef & Broccoli)

IMG_6548.jpg
(file photo)

... and found myself with your flufferdoodles :blush:

So, that throws my theory of remembering to peel the stalks out the window! Although I do find that the offensive ingredient much better tasting.

Back
Top Bottom