Sauerkraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
Starting my first batch of sauerkraut tonight. Should know if it's any good in two or three weeks. :LOL:
  • 660 grams savoy cabbage
  • 13.2 grams salt
  • 1 tsp caraway seed
  • 1 tsp dill seed
  • 1 tsp mustard seed

Last edited:
IMG_20210811_014020183.jpg

IMG_20210811_020940737.jpg

Is that a quart jar? I've been wanting to make kraut. I have the weights and the lids.

Yes. Bought six for the kefir project. Bought four fermentation tops for this one although they aren't strictly necessary.

Mine look like baby bottle nipples that replace the solid lid and go under the rings. They are silicone with a small hole. This lets the gas escape. I can post a picture when I am on my laptop.

Mine look like baby bottle nipples that replace the solid lid and go under the rings. They are silicone with a small hole. This lets the gas escape. I can post a picture when I am on my laptop.

The good thing about the kind you have is they take up less room. My kind might be a little cheaper and their Rube Goldberg appearance appeals to me. :)

The good thing about the kind you have is they take up less room. My kind might be a little cheaper and their Rube Goldberg appearance appeals to me. :)
These are the ones I bought. I can't find this set on Amazon anymore, but they have other brands available.

Waterless airlock fermentation lids.

waterless_airlock_fermentation_lids_edit.jpg

I need to get some of those fermentation locks or lids. There are a couple of local places that sell them online.

Another thing I like about the big dumb looking contraptions I've got is that you can see the bubbles as they float to the top of the thingamajig above the jar. Gives an idea of the rate of fermentation occurring below.

Cool! I love the taste of fermented sauerkraut and fermented pickles. YUM. So good.

I got a Pickling/ Fermentation Crock when I was attempting to make fermented beans. Basically there is rim on the top of the crock that you fill with water , then place an upside-down bowl-like lid on top which creates a liquid seal. As the pressure builds up inside during the fermentation process, it allows the gasses to bubble out while preventing any air from getting in.

My fermented bean experiment was a failure, but I still have the crock which I plan on using to make kimchi and sauerkraut. Here are a few examples. I have the more decorative Asian one, but Initially I was planning on getting the German one, as my initial intention was sauerkraut. The German one comes with a weight to keep the solids completely submerged.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.05.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.05.36 PM.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.04.57 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.04.57 PM.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 66
Larry, beautiful! If you want to see a series of fermenting using those kinds of crocks Liziqi on you tube uses them a lot. It's very peaceful and pleasant to watch. I think I've seen all of her videos. She ferments a lot of stuff. https://www.youtube.com/c/cnliziqi/videos

I use a food grade 5 gallon bucket or just quart jars. I keep kimchi stocked up in the fridge as I like it and my son likes it too. We use it for soup or seasoning rice. If you love hot and spicy with a little sweet, then it is a nice side dish too. Kimchi I use qt jars, sauerkraut or pickles, the 5 gallon bucket.

Larry, beautiful! If you want to see a series of fermenting using those kinds of crocks Liziqi on you tube uses them a lot. It's very peaceful and pleasant to watch. I think I've seen all of her videos. She ferments a lot of stuff. https://www.youtube.com/c/cnliziqi/videos

Ill definitely check it out.

I also got these Korean crocks to make soy sauce with, which I think I started a thread a few years back, that was a an ultimate failure. But I really love the ceramic crocks though.

I used to use 5 gallon food grade buckets as a primary fermentation bucket when making wine, but have since converted one of them to a mushroom growing bucket. ( Which I know has totally deviated from the topic of this thread).

But to add to the sauerkraut discussion, the two main tips I can provide is:
1) Make sure the cabbage is completely submerged under the liquid even if it means adding more brine.
2) things ferment quicker the warmer it is, so if you have a warm house, things will progress more rapidly. Keep the jar out of direct sun. I personally find the sauerkraut to be more predictable in the fall and spring months due to the general temp of my house.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 8.39.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 8.39.20 PM.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 68
Larry, I remember something about making soy sauce in your threads and then I did a lot of research and it seemed like a long commitment to make it but I loved learning about it. I *should* do it but since we've cut back on salt we only use a small amount of soy sauce recognizing it is high in sodium.

And with sauerkraut, and pickles, I made them in the basement where it is 55 deg F and upstairs where it is 80, and I got more mold and failure in the basement, so it's better to ferment for me, upstairs in the fall when the temperatures are in the 70's or lower. All of these salty things we use in very small amounts, well, I do. To keep my blood pressure at healthy levels.

Ill definitely check it out.

I also got these Korean crocks to make soy sauce with, which I think I started a thread a few years back, that was a an ultimate failure. But I really love the ceramic crocks though.

I used to use 5 gallon food grade buckets as a primary fermentation bucket when making wine, but have since converted one of them to a mushroom growing bucket. ( Which I know has totally deviated from the topic of this thread).

But to add to the sauerkraut discussion, the two main tips I can provide is:
1) Make sure the cabbage is completely submerged under the liquid even if it means adding more brine.
2) things ferment quicker the warmer it is, so if you have a warm house, things will progress more rapidly. Keep the jar out of direct sun. I personally find the sauerkraut to be more predictable in the fall and spring months due to the general temp of my house.
larry_stewart said:
But to add to the sauerkraut discussion, the two main tips I can provide is ...:
This is what I was hoping for. :)
Make sure the cabbage is completely submerged under the liquid even if it means adding more brine.
The reserved large outer leaves kept wanted to sneak out around the weight into the open air. So after several attempts to push them down, I made a bottle of 2% brine and added enough to prevent further escape attempts. Started with salt equal to 2% of the net cabbage weight, then added about 4 ounces of brine. Seems like a lot of salt for an old guy trying to keep hypertension in the normal range.

Hope to follow up with wine and mushroom conversations; perhaps in separate threads.

Skilletlicker, fill a gallon zip lock bag with brine of salt and water. Use that to hold down the weight. I use a plate on top turned upside down, then the zip lock bag, then a towel to cover it.

Skilletlicker, fill a gallon zip lock bag with brine of salt and water. Use that to hold down the weight. I use a plate on top turned upside down, then the zip lock bag, then a towel to cover it.

Depending on which vessel Im using, I use the brine in bag method also.

the recipe I followed says that after letting the crushed cabbage sit in the salt, there should be enough liquid to completely submerge thee shredded cabbage.
I have never found that to be the case, and always had to make extra brine to add and keep everything under the liquid.

Hope to follow up with wine and mushroom conversations; perhaps in separate threads.

Wine is usually a fall activity for me. I make homemade apple cider with and old fashioned press. It works well, but is not efficient so there is a lot of apple ' waste'. Instead of composting or throwing out, I decided to make apple wine with it. To be perfectly honest, it doesn't come out very good, but I use it to cook.

Mushrooms are a fall winter thing. Gives me something to do indoors when I cant garden outdoors.

When I start them both, I'll post a thread documenting my success and failures.

Sauerkrsaut day two the volume of kraut and brine expanded above the bottom of the lid. Couldn't see any bubbles. Removed one ounce of brine and had a wee taste. Whilst moving stuff some trapped bubbles were released. Beginning to smell and taste like sauerkraut.

It's alive! :)

Back
Top Bottom