Baked Macaroni & Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone use the old toss a noodle on the ceiling trick method and if it sticks, it's cooked just right. I think that's what al dente translates to in Englsh. :LOL:

Does anyone use the old toss a noodle on the ceiling trick method and if it sticks, it's cooked just right. I think that's what al dente translates to in Englsh. :LOL:

What it translates to is "to the tooth" as dente = dental. It is Italian. And no, I don't toss it on the ceiling, wall or anywhere else. I don't need another mess to clean up. I taste it. If the pasta has a little bite to it, then it is ready. Also, the longer you cook pasta, it becomes whiter and whiter. It loses that yellowish color. Then when it is all white, you know just by looking at it that it is done. Experienced cooks know this trick. They can tell just by looking at the pasta if it is done. :angel:

I do the same thing but with real American cheese (Kraft Deli Deluxe) and the addition of a small diced onion sauted in the fat before adding the flour. The onion really makes a difference to me. I cover the top of the mac with slices of cheese and kraft parm to form a scab as we call it and fight for it.

I use non-fat milk and it still works fine. A pinch of granulated garlic sometimes too.

Gruyere melts so nice I think I will try a blend next time. Thanks! I usually use it for fondue only.

jennyema, sorry you're so confused. It sounds like you've made something like this before so you should be able to figure it out.
Won't you please post your recipe? I'm sure we'd all love to see it:)

I'm not confused at all :)

But the recipe is very confusing especially for a beginner cook because it calls for 5 tablespoons of butter and only 1T of flour. And there are no clear directions about how the butter is to be used in terms of quantities.

I have already made my point about the fact that no matter what, using only 1T of butter is not the correct ratio for bechemel sauce, which is the base for a non-custard mac and cheese.

BUT... Thanks for asking for my recipe! It's a lot like yours but with proper ratios. And double the quantity. I top it with a 1:1 bread crumbs and Parmigiano-Reggiano combined into a sandy texture with lots of melted butter.

I already posted it and you quoted it in your post above!

I usually use a mixture of cheeses, including some gruyere. I don't like using all gruyere, even though it's my favorite cheese. If you use only one type of cheese the end product can be too one note. I usually use a four cheese blend. Sometimes more, depending on what cheese leftovers are in my fridge.

My mac and cheese is a popular item on my catering menu, so I make it a lot.

Will be making it for Christmas Dinner, in fact.

Last edited:
But I do see the amount of butter to use right at the top. Maybe its not a correct ratio for bechemel sauce. I don't think it is one cause I don't see the word bechemel in there anywhere. It must just be right for the recipe. We liked it that way. anyway we liked it and it came out good you should make it. good luck. :cool::cool::cool:

I amm sorry jennyemma Addie told me and I dont want to hurt your feelings ever. I really like looking at your recipes on here and I don't want to get deleted like Addie said when she sent me the message on here. I didnt mean to critacize you ever I reallymean it. I just want to be as good of a cook as you some day and respectd like Addie says. so please don't be mad at me.I am sorry.I hope you show me some more recipes please dont stop:cool::cool::cool:

Junie, Jennyema is not confused at all :) So nice of you to apologize to jennyema because you felt you may have offended her, although I agree with Dawgluver that there was no need to apologize. You are correct, it is not a bechemel sauce. Glad you enjoyed the recipe. You are a sweetheart :)

Last edited:
I do the same thing but with real American cheese (Kraft Deli Deluxe)
:LOL::LOL::LOL: For a moment I thought you were referring to the discussion above your post about tossing noodles on the ceiling.

As a huge mac & cheese fan I am always on the lookout for different ways to put a new spin on such a yummy dish. And Gruyere has such a nice texture - definitely saving this recipe to try out!

I made what I thought was a good baked macaroni and cheese dish, but when I took it out of the oven, all the cheese was gone. I mean, it was on the noodles and all, but I had wanted some some sauce at the bottom of the dish.

I had used 1 cup of macaroni and 2 cups of milk, so do I really need to up the milk to 4 cups?

I made what I thought was a good baked macaroni and cheese dish, but when I took it out of the oven, all the cheese was gone. I mean, it was on the noodles and all, but I had wanted some some sauce at the bottom of the dish.

I had used 1 cup of macaroni and 2 cups of milk, so do I really need to up the milk to 4 cups?

How did you make it? Describe the process.

I boiled the macaroni first, then made a roux with flour and milk, and added the cheese to that so it would melt. Then I put the macaroni in a casserole dish, poured the cheese sauce mixture over it, sprinkled on some bread crumbs, and put it in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes to crisp the bread crumbs.

I had plenty of sauce when I poured it over the macaroni, but when it came out of the oven, there was no sauce anymore on the bottom of the casserole dish.

I used 1 cup of macaroni and that filled the casserole dish, and there seemed to be plenty of sauce with 2 cups of milk and however much cheese I put in. I don't know exactly how much cheese I shredded, but when I added in and it had melted, I still had a creamy sauce.

Last edited:
Did you use any butter? Roux is butter and flour; when you add milk, then you have béchamel sauce. And at what temperature did you bake it?

Oh, yeah, I put butter in it. That's how I always do it. A couple tablespoons of butter, then a couple tablespoons of flour, mix it well and cook the flour for a minute, then add the milk.

I baked at a standard 350°. I'm just thinking I didn't put in enough sauce, or maybe next time I shouldn't bother baking the macaroni and cheese, because it was perfectly edible without baking and I had extra sauce on the bottom of the dish then. Or, more practically, I could just use half the macaroni I used, since a casserole dish gave me 5+ servings.

I boiled the macaroni first, then made a roux with flour and milk, and added the cheese to that so it would melt. Then I put the macaroni in a casserole dish, poured the cheese sauce mixture over it, sprinkled on some bread crumbs, and put it in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes to crisp the bread crumbs.

I had plenty of sauce when I poured it over the macaroni, but when it came out of the oven, there was no sauce anymore on the bottom of the casserole dish.

I used 1 cup of macaroni and that filled the casserole dish, and there seemed to be plenty of sauce with 2 cups of milk and however much cheese I put in. I don't know exactly how much cheese I shredded, but when I added in and it had melted, I still had a creamy sauce.

Hi, rodentraiser. :) Your proportions sound about right to me. Since your mac and cheese was basically done, I think another 15-20 minutes in the oven at 350 just to crisp up the bread topping was too long, and it absorbed the sauce. If you like a bread crumb topping on your mac and cheese (I do!), put your mac and cheese casserole under the broiler for a minute or two to crisp up your bread topping and brown it. :yum: Keep an eye on it though, it will only take a minute or two.

Last edited:
I lattice streaky bacon straight onto a baking sheet slightly bigger than the mac/cheese dish ( because it will shrivel a bit and place in the oven at the same time to get really crispy. Then I gently lift it onto the top of the mac/cheese before serving. If there are vegetarians present then I just serve it seperately..You can cut the lattice into portions with kitchen scissors if you want.

I lattice streaky bacon straight onto a baking sheet slightly bigger than the mac/cheese dish ( because it will shrivel a bit and place in the oven at the same time to get really crispy. Then I gently lift it onto the top of the mac/cheese before serving. If there are vegetarians present then I just serve it seperately..You can cut the lattice into portions with kitchen scissors if you want.
Your post made me think of this (seems to be the latest craze...seen it many times recently)

Mac & Cheese-stuffed Bacon Cups – Get Off The Couch and Cook

Ah, That looks good, I haven't seen that one. To be honest, I've served bacon with mac/cheese for years. It's the lattice presentation that is new. It is pretty inviting I have to say.

No-boiling Mac & Cheese, NY Times style

I've been using this recipe from the NY Times for years now. It has the great advantage of taking fifteen minutes to get in the oven, because everything is dumped in raw. It also adds 2 lb of cheese and 1 lb of cottage cheese to 1 lb of raw pasta, so it is an adult dose. I prefer to start with good cheddar, and an easy way to "grate" it is to put it through a meat grinder. It comes out as enormous, fat noodles of cheese, but they work fine, here (and also give me ideas about making noodly appetizers). My favourite easily-found cheddar is Coastal.

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese (NYT)​

Time: 15 minutes prep time; 1 hour baking time, using uncooked pasta.

4 tbs butter
16oz cottage cheese (not lowfat)
32oz milk (not skim)
2 tsp dry mustard
Pinch cayenne
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 pound large elbow pasta, uncooked.
Bright orange food dye (optional: recommended if serving to Kraft-acclimated children)

375F Position an oven rack in upper third of oven. Use a little butter to grease a 9x13 baking dish.

In a large bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together. Mix in food dye if using. Measure mustard, cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper into a small bowl, mix in with some tablespoons of the wet ingredient mix, mix into the large bowl.

Add dry pasta to bowl. Save a couple ounces of cheese, add all the rest of the ingredients and mix in. Pour everything into baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.

Uncover pan, stir gently (if possible), sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes more, until browned to your liking. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.

It's also really nice with a chopped tomato mixed in.

I've been using this recipe from the NY Times for years now. It has the great advantage of taking fifteen minutes to get in the oven, because everything is dumped in raw. It also adds 2 lb of cheese and 1 lb of cottage cheese to 1 lb of raw pasta, so it is an adult dose. I prefer to start with good cheddar, and an easy way to "grate" it is to put it through a meat grinder. It comes out as enormous, fat noodles of cheese, but they work fine, here (and also give me ideas about making noodly appetizers). My favourite easily-found cheddar is Coastal.

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese (NYT)​

Time: 15 minutes prep time; 1 hour baking time, using uncooked pasta.

4 tbs butter
16oz cottage cheese (not lowfat)
32oz milk (not skim)
2 tsp dry mustard
Pinch cayenne
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 pound large elbow pasta, uncooked.
Bright orange food dye (optional: recommended if serving to Kraft-acclimated children)

375F Position an oven rack in upper third of oven. Use a little butter to grease a 9x13 baking dish.

In a large bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together. Mix in food dye if using. Measure mustard, cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper into a small bowl, mix in with some tablespoons of the wet ingredient mix, mix into the large bowl.

Add dry pasta to bowl. Save a couple ounces of cheese, add all the rest of the ingredients and mix in. Pour everything into baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.

Uncover pan, stir gently (if possible), sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes more, until browned to your liking. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.

It's also really nice with a chopped tomato mixed in.

OutRIAAage....
I don't mean to be rude, but seriously...using a meat grinder for the cheese and adding "bright orange food dye"...?

Here's the NYTimes recipe you referred to. You've adapted it quite a bit.

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe - NYT Cooking

As I said...I really don't mean to offend...but do you ever have any just run-of-the-mill daily dinners that you'd care to share? Is this how you eat daily? Most, if not all, of us would not buy and add artificial orange food dye, or use a meat grinder for cheese. We're only talking mac and cheese here. :huh::ermm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom