Cooking with Canned Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I have seen 2 tv shows about using canned beans as a good product. drain them and give them a rince,, and you don't have to make your own dried beans all night.

I tried this a couple of times now, in soups . but I think the beans fall apart?

The chilli was OK, but the Navy Bean soup was Mush...

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

With canned beans, you don't have to cook them for a long time. They're already cooked so just add them near the end of the cooking cycle and heat them up.

I find the " dark red" kidney beans seem to stand up better than regular kidney beans ( and other beans too) . I always use them for my soups, but as mentioned by Andy, I todd them in towards the end.

I like using canned beans too. Rinse in the colander, and they're good to go in chili or soup.

And I have to agree, Kay, canned green beans are nasty.

DH and I were discussing the nastiest canned vegetables. My winner was canned peas, his was canned spinach. I can choke down canned green beans.

Back to the OP. I do like canned garbanzo beans.

I have a soft spot in my heart (head?) for Del Monte green peas. I hardly ever buy them but I'm still fond of them.

home canned green beans, finely chopped white onion, vinegar, olive oil, S&P, basil, oregano, oh my those are just delicious, so I just ate a bowl of those.

Canned beans. cooking with?

I like my home-canned green beans too bliss. Grocery store canned peas or spinach, not so much.

Last edited:
I like my home-canned green beans too bliss. Grocery store canned peas or spinach, not so much.
I don't think I've ever tried canned spinach. DH likes canned peas, it reminds of his mom's cooking, they were poor, very hungry, but it reminds him of growing up, so I put them in his tuna macaroni salad, and I put them in his ragu (tomato, ground beef, macaroni), but for me, I just like beans with some substance to them. I like, peas, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, green beans, three bean salad, any of those things, with chopped onion, S&P, vinegar, onion, herbs, cold.

You need to put the canned beans later in the cooking then you do with normal beans, they dont need more then 5 or max 10 minutes cooking time.

I will eat ice cold Bush's Boston Recipe baked beans. Also in a small can, waxed beans. I like them cold also with ranch dressing. Cream style corn also. And only Le Seur petite peas. Otherwise, I would rather make my veggies fresh.

I use canned black beans, liquid included, for Cuban black beans and rice. They will hold up to the cooking time without becoming mush. They go in as soon as the sofrito is done, along with bay leaves, stock and cumin. If we have leftovers, we prefer using them to make refried beans instead of pinto beans. We make a vegetarian chili with them as well. Now for Red Beans and Rice, the beans have to be dried, canned beans just won't do.

Oh lordy, and is there anything worse than canned spinach??:sick:
Canned chicken??
Z

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Surströmming? That must be the worse thing in can. Yes, I know it can be lovely but no for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom