Wild Rice Meal - Pork or Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
hey guys i want to make a meal with wild rice with a few veggies in it, served with a side of pan-seared the baked to finish in the oven @ 400.

I would like ideas for the rice as i dont have alot of experience with wild rice +white rice

is it supposed to be more watery than my spanish rice comes out?

What type of cooking liquid should i use?

what seasonsings?

any advice i want to add a new dish to my reportoire

Are you using a pre-mixed packet of wild & white rice, like the kind that Uncle Ben's has on the market? If so, saute some fresh mushrooms until just cooked, remove from pan and let rest. Sear some pork chops and remove from pan. Add the rice to the pan and add the required liquid, using any juice from the mushroom that may have seeped to the bottom of the bowl, as part of the liquid. Top with seasoned porkchops. ( I have been known to drag out the old onion soup mix packet, combine some with the rice, and top the chops with the rest.:rolleyes: sssh, I only do this one at home.) Cover pan tightly with foil and bake at 375º for about 45 minutes. Sorry you will have to do your veggies on the side for this one.:LOL:

I have to echo DaCook's question ... are you using a box of "long grain and wild rice" with a seasoning packet in it? Uncle Ben's makes one - Albertson's carries one under their label ... taste the same at about half the price ... instructions are the same. This would solve 99% of your problem - just follow the instructions on the box. As a side to chicken or pork - you could replace the water with chicken broth. If you follow the instruction on the box - it will not be "watery" - it will be like properly cooked long grain white rice.

What "vegetables" do you want to add to it? Personally, I would only use onion and sauteed mushrooms ... well, maybe some water chestnuts for a little crunch if I wanted to get exotic ... I would also think chopped black walnuts or pecans would be traditional ... but cook the rice according to the instructions on the box and add in some frozen pearl onions, peas and carrots, whatever ... at the end and allow them to heat through.

But, if the rice is going to be a side ... why not some include some dried fruit like apricots, apples, plums .... along with some nuts and maybe a small splash of Brandy or Calvados????

Narrow down what you're looking for - and get a little more specific on what you are using ... we might be able to give you a better answer.

I have a great 1-pot recipe for boiled chicken with long-grain and wild rice with mushrooms.

its a prepackaged back from the gourmet, i just weight it out. it's a long grain white rice and wild rice mixture.

i was thinking beef broth, gatlic, onion, carrot, mushroom,. thyme

what type of mushroom?

when should i add the mushroom?

Back
Top Bottom