I want to cook a lot of chicken in a rice cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I poach for pot pie's and salad. Especially as I want the poaching juice.
Are you poaching boneless skinless pieces, or bone-in skin-on? Because without the skin and connective tissue, there's very little flavor in the poaching liquid. I use either my own chicken stock or Better than Bouillon to make gravy for chicken pot pie.

Exactly. When I was working, my motto was "I don't give them what they asked for. I give them what they want." They're not always the same thing 😉

What does the OP want? Good-tasting cooked chicken thighs to use as an ingredient for dinner. A rice cooker is one way to achieve that, but it's not necessarily the best way.
I try to give people for what they ask, and I want the answers for what I ask as I am willing to accept the consequences for getting what I say that I want. ;)
So no one poaches extra chicken to have for other meals?
I do, actually. I will poach chicken for chicken salad, pot pie, casseroles. I can add flavor to the poaching liquid and can often use the liquid as a base to make other things.

Poached chickens have their place. For western cuisine maybe that's when chicken is not the star of the dish.

But there are a few Asian poached chickens that are the star and surprisingly delicious. In China look for White Cut chicken. Just reading the recipe you think it would be pretty bland but it's not. It's also because the chicken used is a very high quality chicken with good flavor on its own. Usually accompanied with a ginger scallion sauce that's very good.

In Singapore Hainanese Chicken is where it's at. It shares a lot of similarities with white cut chicken but is usually even more flavorful. The full dish will include rice pilaf, chicken soup, cucumbers and a few different options for sauce usually including a fiery sambal.

Are you poaching boneless skinless pieces, or bone-in skin-on? Because without the skin and connective tissue, there's very little flavor in the poaching liquid. I use either my own chicken stock or Better than Bouillon to make gravy for chicken pot pie.
Both, I usually buy my chicken breasts with skin, bone and back bone - then I have a choice. There are times when s/b-less are on sale at a good price so I buy them.
I try to give people for what they ask, and I want the answers for what I ask as I am willing to accept the consequences for getting what I say that I want. ;)

I do, actually. I will poach chicken for chicken salad, pot pie, casseroles. I can add flavor to the poaching liquid and can often use the liquid as a base to make other things.

I've always said, if you don't want to accept the answer - then don't ask the question.

I also add flavours to the poaching liquid - my favourite is to make a Won Ton Soup.

I've always said, if you don't want to accept the answer - then don't ask the question.
I think y'all are misunderstanding me. In my work, people often had a hard time describing what they wanted me to do. They would try to tell me exactly how to do something, instead of describing the end result they wanted and letting me decide how to accomplish it. If I went ahead and did what they said, more often than not, I'd have to redo it because it wasn't what they really wanted.

So my point here is that the OP asks how to cook chicken in a rice cooker when what he wants is tasty cooked chicken, and using the rice cooker may not be the best way to accomplish his goal. Food safety and overcooking are a couple things that could be problematic.

I like rotisserie chicken. My Emeril LaGasbag air fryer oven has a rotisserie attachment. I found it was cehaper to buy a rotisserie chicken at the market than to buy a raw chicken and rotisserie it my own damn self. So I buy a rotisserie chicken, a jar of chicken gravy and a tub of Bob Evans mashed potatoes, and all I need to add from the pantry is a can of corn or peas.

So my point here is that the OP asks how to cook chicken in a rice cooker when what he wants is tasty cooked chicken, and using the rice cooker may not be the best way to accomplish his goal. Food safety and overcooking are a couple things that could be problematic.
Unless the OP says otherwise, I think you are right on. There are better, simpler and safer ways to cook chicken. The dishwasher, for example ... ;-)

It is called a rice cooker for a reason: It cooks rice, and it does it to perfection. That is what it is designed to do. Try getting yourself an Instant Pot. They are excellent for cooking chicken, because that is one of the things they are designed to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom