Curry and pasta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here is the thing, you go curry and then just make a broad sweep. The person didnt ask about Japanese or Thai curries but suggest Indian curries.

So if you do want Karee Udon or Khao Soi, why not make that instead of tikka masala with udon?

The dishes has the same name but are far from the same thing , Indian curries relay on the rice or bread to suck up the sauce while Kare udon uses the sauce to coat the udons, see the difference?

But yeah people should eat what they like and mix, who knows vanilla ice cream might be totally lovely on a donut with grav lax.

Maybe because the person likes the flavors of Tikka Masala, but is unable to eat the rice? Pasta is a worthy and neutral device, potatoes would even be a good choice. When you have problems chewing or a dietary preference, you should be able to make or suggest changes without people screaming about "authenticity."

Sorry, people should just eat what they want and not care.

I just wonder what rice the person used to cook? A basmati is so soft and so is jasmine, I do remember that parboiled was chewy ( havent had that for years) and so was brown rice.

Well here is the thing, you go curry and then just make a broad sweep. The person didnt ask about Japanese or Thai curries but suggest Indian curries.

So if you do want Karee Udon or Khao Soi, why not make that instead of tikka masala with udon?

The dishes has the same name but are far from the same thing , Indian curries relay on the rice or bread to suck up the sauce while Kare udon uses the sauce to coat the udons, see the difference?

But yeah people should eat what they like and mix, who knows vanilla ice cream might be totally lovely on a donut with grav lax.

The title didn't specify Indian curry. When someone starts a post with "Curry" the first thing that pops in my mind is Thai curry. If the OP had put "Indian" in the title I would not have opened the thread.

If there was ever a food that lent itself to interpretation, Curry would have to be near or at the top of the list.

I just had a West Indian curry-like dish a few weeks ago, called Espegetti ak Makroel', or smoked mackerel in what could only be called a spicy dry curry, that was served mixed with spaghetti and Scotch Bonnets.

(The more common fish used is smoked herring, or Aranso', but my coworkers mil made this for me after I gave him some of my whole smoked mackerel)

Would it be too weird to serve, say, chicken tikka masala or malai kofta on pasta instead of on rice and/or with naan? I know that the ultimate answer to this question is “try it and see, coward!” I just would like to know before I try it is if there’s a reason not to try it. It’s certainly not something I’ve seen in Indian cookbooks (or Italian ones, for that matter), or on Indian restaurant menus (Italian restaurants: see above).

Indian food, although it’s gaining some respect here in the States, is still much more popular across the Pond. Is curry pasta something that seems odd or off to you over there? When you hear “baked curry ziti,” for instance, do you think “hmmmm interesting,” “that’s so last century,” “had some yesterday from the local takeaway,” or “the very idea makes me retch?”
I don't see why you shouldn't eat curry with pasta. When you think about it naan bread is sometimes served instead of rice and naan (other Indian breads are available)and pasta are really only cousins (ie made with flour of one sort or another.)

Anyway - "Chaq'un a son gout" as the French say - I know people who eat chip butties ("butty" = British vernacular for a sandwich), chips with curry sauce, and jam with cheese. So why not have whatever you want on your plate. When I was a student I shared a flat with Ann who was an ex-*public school girl who was a "Cordon Bleu" cook and Sandra, an Anglo-Indian girl whose mother sent her back to college at the beginning of term with a box of goodies including curried Cornish pasties.

(* A "public school" in GB is a whole different thing to a public school in the US. Ann's public school was short-listed for the Queen's daughter!).

Try your curry with pasta and see if you like it.

The title didn't specify Indian curry. When someone starts a post with "Curry" the first thing that pops in my mind is Thai curry. If the OP had put "Indian" in the title I would not have opened the thread.

Speaking of necessity of being clear. I, on the opposite side, right away thought about Indian curries. :rolleyes:

Indian curries DONT go with noodles. They do however come with a naan. States people just don't get it I think. You need to visit the uk to see how popular it is. You're be strung up if you served it with noodles.

Just saaaaying

Russ

Indian curries DONT go with noodles. They do however come with a naan. States people just don't get it I think. You need to visit the uk to see how popular it is. You're be strung up if you served it with noodles.

Just saaaaying

Russ
Rascal, we get it. The OP has problems chewing, so asked the question. Authenticity is not always the primary goal.

Also, ever heard of fusion cuisine? ;) It's been a major trend here for years.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I actually did a search ( the day this thread was started ) and found many Indian Fusion restaurants some here and some in New Delhi in which some type of curry is served with some type of noodle.

Not sure why some people are so afraid of mix and matching cuisines or trying something new.

If no one ever tried anything new or anything out of their region cooking and eating would be very boring.

Ever since trade has existed there has been some kind of mixing up cuisines, difference spices, ingredients ...

Rascal, we get it. The OP has problems chewing, so asked the question. Authenticity is not always the primary goal.

Fusion sometimes ends as confusion. But I get it. I don't try to change things like fish n chips, it's what it is, curry n rice. Italian with fettucine, my fave. To each his own, I'm addicted to curries, I make really good curries, well so my family and friends say so. I'm on a few a merry can food sites so the subject has been broached there, not many interested in Indian cooking on those sites. Just my observations. Hope I didn't upset anyone.:chef:;)

Russ

No one is upset. Just saying, the fact that we're more adventurous with food doesn't mean we don't understand the traditional ways :chef: Wanting something other than the traditional way of doing things is a primary reason why most of our ancestors came here ;)

rascal: thank you .

The reason I said Indian curries is because curries the person used as example are Indian, well Tikka Masala isnt, it was invented in Glasgow by Indian restaurant who had left over chicken tikka .

But what do I know, I live in the land of meatballs. Oh yeah my husband is Scottish and as wedding gift from his father I got my husbands favorite curry recipes and I been cooking Indian curries for the last 8 years and oddly enough UK has strong Indian curry culture.

And rice should be soft, it should has a softer chew then pasta al dente, that confuses me, but then again I dont use uncle ben rice or parboiled.

Last edited:
Until you have a problem with chewing AND swallowing different textures, you won't understand.

Well, the rice they have here for people who has chewing and swallowing is a very soft sticky rice and they avoid pasta because of the texture. Yes, I know Swedish old people are different but the idea should be the same? Hence I ask what type of rice, since rice isnt one thing as most seam to think.

Each person is an individual, the OP has a problem with rice. Doesn't matter why, he has a problem with rice!

You know, I think we're on to something here. How to make whole wheat pasta taste good: Tikka!

Rice has to be basmati btw.

Cakepoet... Care to share 1 recipe from Scotland please.? I spent a couple of weeks in Inverness years ago. Never had a curry there.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom