Appreciate What you Have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I had something that tasted amazing to me for breakdaat this morming; a piee of link breakfast sausage as big aound, and 2/3rds the length of a hot dog. It wasn't the size that make it amaazing. It was that I could taste the sage, and onion, and red pepper, and salt, with a touch of garlic in the background, all coming together to give me that breakfast sausage taste I love. You see, sausage is not normally allowed in my diet. Bu my bloodwork came back pretty good and I sas allowed 1 link. I had a hot dog the other night with the same scenario. There was nothing special about that either. In fact, it was a boiled hot dog. But as I haven't been able to eat either hot dogs, or any kind of sausage in almost a year, the flavors were new and vibrant on my palate, and in my nose.

If you eat something you enjoy too often, it ceases to be special. If you eat it once ina blue moon, the simplest foods can be gourmet meld.

Now,, if only I could get my hands on my homemade liver pate'm or egg rolls, or manicotti:yum:.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that :(
Like most things we take for granted after awhile until we can’t anymore....
Can u do Keto? I find Keto typically runs with good taste similar to my liking.

Wise words.

What is it about sausage that you aren't usually allowed? It's easy enough to make your own breakfast sausage patties, where you control the ingredients.

Wise words.

What is it about sausage that you aren't usually allowed? It's easy enough to make your own breakfast sausage patties, where you control the ingredients.

I'm stuck in the hospital for another 5 weeks, and so don't have access to a kitchen. Also, can't put any wight on my left foot until it is completely healed. So, i can't make sausage.

I need to purchase a meat grinder to make my own sausages. i have to cut the sodium levels, and avoid nitrite/nitrates. I'vebeen in here since middle July. This place is getting old. Here are some pics of thngs have made from printer paper and Elmer's glue. You might like them. The first pictures are of some chocolate bunnies I made a few years back. Ah well then. It seems that I've forgotten how to insert pictures into DC ppsts. Otherwise, I'd show off my bunnies, my planes, and my hand-tied fishing flies.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm sorry to hear that you're in the hospital, especially for so long. How is your DW doing?

I know what you mean about not being able to enjoy the foods you like. There are a lot of things I've had to limit or eliminate due to health issues. Take care [emoji813]

When I make breakfast sausage or Italian sausage, I just use store bought, regular (not lean, it's not as nice or tasty with lean) ground pork and stir in my seasonings, no nitrates. I refrigerate it overnight to give the flavours a chance to develop and fry up sausage patties the next day. If there is any left, I freeze it. Really quick and simple.

Last edited:
I'm stuck in the hospital for another 5 weeks, and so don't have access to a kitchen...
Chief, you need to stop being so nice to those nurses. It seems like they enjoy having you around. Seriously, I hope you finally get all healed up and back home to your own kitchen and your DW, right where you belong. I'll send up a prayer for you tonight.

Not looking for sympathy here, just pointing out that we must not take for granted good things that we have, be it a favorite chair, or favorite food, or favorite hobby. Most of all, cherish those you love, and let them know you love them. That's what brings piece of mind, and happiness, not chasing after material things. As the old, old saying goes, stop and smell the roses. Me, I'll smell the lilacs. I'm not crazy about the smell of roses.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom