Canning Lids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rick54

Assistant Cook
You all know the old adage, the early bird gets the worm! Well it was about this time last year that I started my hunt for canning lids in anticipation of my yearly fall harvest and canning season. While everyone was up in arms hunting out toilet paper, I was secretly grabbing up the canning lid boxes! Was able to secure enough for the canning season.

This year is a different story. I'm finding the store shelves empty of lids with maybe a few cases of odd size jars.

What gives I ask?? This surely isn't canning season in the northeast, heck the gardens aren't even in yet! So why the scarcity of lids? I would think Ball/Kerr could be stamping the lids out by the millions daily.

Going on line, I see some of the prices advertised are $12 for a 12 lid box! One lady commented that she paid $17 for one box of 12 lids and shipping which she immediately returned for a refund!

I don't know what's going on in this country, but it doesn't appear to be anything good when you can't even get a seasons supply of canning lids. Heck, young girls now a days know nothing about harvesting vegtables let along canning or how to operate a pressure cooker! I think we're in real trouble. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

plus, if I remember correctly, someone ordered lids and they were not the correct size?

I too, discovered the lack of lids in the Montreal area. Luckily about a month later supplies came in and I was there in a shot.

Will have to see how Waterdown fares - Guess I'd better start looking now.
Not too sure how much canning I'll do, still very discombobulated with my move.

I doubt they can run the factories that make the lids, at full capacity. Aren't factory workers one of groups of people who are most likely to catch Covid-19? Large work places have been one of the biggest ways that C-19 has been spreading, at least here in Quebec.

Maybe they're supplying the warmer areas of the country, since we do have produce coming in right now. I saw plenty of lids in my local feed and seed store.

Unfortunately, we are still in lock-down (Ontario). Unless it is in the food sections of Walmart or Dollar type stores - the areas of "non-essentials" are taped off.

No longer on the farm so have to search around for the local feed store and see if they have any.

I may not do much canning this year, move and all still discombobulated.

Back after a 4 year hiatus

Hi! I received an email today from this forum after a 4- year hiatus. I had forgotten the name of it because I was new then. Anyways. I am back.

As to this post, I am in Arizona and noticed a lack of lids, too. I was casually looking at the canning supplies at a Walmart and it was pretty pitiful. There was one package of lids, but I wanted the wide mouth.

If you like the tattler reuseable lids and gaskets, those are available online for around $1/each or less in bulk. Our Farm & Fleet also carries them.

Back
Top Bottom