"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Canning Lids

You all know the old adage, the early bird gets the worm! Well it was about this time last year that I started my hunt for canning lids in anticipation of my yearly fall harvest and canning season. While everyone was up in arms hunting out toilet paper, I was secretly grabbing up the canning lid boxes! Was able to secure enough for the canning season.

This year is a different story. I'm finding the store shelves empty of lids with maybe a few cases of odd size jars.

What gives I ask?? This surely isn't canning season in the northeast, heck the gardens aren't even in yet! So why the scarcity of lids? I would think Ball/Kerr could be stamping the lids out by the millions daily.

Going on line, I see some of the prices advertised are $12 for a 12 lid box! One lady commented that she paid $17 for one box of 12 lids and shipping which she immediately returned for a refund!

I don't know what's going on in this country, but it doesn't appear to be anything good when you can't even get a seasons supply of canning lids. Heck, young girls now a days know nothing about harvesting vegtables let along canning or how to operate a pressure cooker! I think we're in real trouble. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Rick54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
Master Chef

plus, if I remember correctly, someone ordered lids and they were not the correct size?

I too, discovered the lack of lids in the Montreal area. Luckily about a month later supplies came in and I was there in a shot.

Will have to see how Waterdown fares - Guess I'd better start looking now.
Not too sure how much canning I'll do, still very discombobulated with my move.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I doubt they can run the factories that make the lids, at full capacity. Aren't factory workers one of groups of people who are most likely to catch Covid-19? Large work places have been one of the biggest ways that C-19 has been spreading, at least here in Quebec.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Maybe they're supplying the warmer areas of the country, since we do have produce coming in right now. I saw plenty of lids in my local feed and seed store.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #5
Head Chef

A few weeks ago I found a bunch of American made lids and jars at Dollar General, and I was shocked, given the shortage of these things last year. They still have a lot of them.
Canning goods already in stock! by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Old 05-13-2021, 07:30 PM   #6
Master Chef

Unfortunately, we are still in lock-down (Ontario). Unless it is in the food sections of Walmart or Dollar type stores - the areas of "non-essentials" are taped off.

No longer on the farm so have to search around for the local feed store and see if they have any.

I may not do much canning this year, move and all still discombobulated.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:07 PM   #7
Master Chef

LOL GG you and Pepper may have to open a mail-order for lids!
Old 05-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Back after a 4 year hiatus

Hi! I received an email today from this forum after a 4- year hiatus. I had forgotten the name of it because I was new then. Anyways. I am back.

As to this post, I am in Arizona and noticed a lack of lids, too. I was casually looking at the canning supplies at a Walmart and it was pretty pitiful. There was one package of lids, but I wanted the wide mouth.
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:47 PM   #9
Executive Chef

If you like the tattler reuseable lids and gaskets, those are available online for around $1/each or less in bulk. Our Farm & Fleet also carries them.

Tags
canning