Colon Cleanser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
Just saw a commercial for some. Their slogan: "cleans me from the inside out"

Im intrigued...Should I grab a bottle. It could be pleasurable.

Colon cleansing makes me think of the preps for colonoscopies. I haven't had one yet (but expect to have to in the next year) but everyone I know who has had a "colon cleansing" for the test says it it no picnic. Can't get very far from a bathroom after a while!

Yeah Jabbur, the prep for the colonoscipy is no joy. But a shot or two of vodka in it makes it a lot more bearable.

Thanks for the suggestion, Aunt Dot. I'll remember that if I ever have one. So far, I've managed to avoid it.
The only colon cleanser I've used is fresh broccoli.

auntdot said:
Yeah Jabbur, the prep for the colonoscipy is no joy. But a shot or two of vodka in it makes it a lot more bearable.

I think my today's lunch . . . oh, never mind.

My colonoscopy is scheduled for next month - I'll remember the vodka trick! It might make the hours in the bathroom much more pleasant. Is that a shot or two in every batch?????:-p

OK, the vodka did not hurt the efficiency of the prep. We both had colonoscopies a couple of years ago, ah the joys of aging.

We both shunned the medication they offer for the procedure and were able to see the whole thing on a monitor. How do I say this, there were no remaining nasty bits in what, in shrimp, we euphemistically call the vein.

I hate to go on a tangent, but if any of you out there have been advised to get a colonoscopy please do it.

OK, it is an annoyance, but nothing more. The worst part is the prep, and it isn't that bad if you arm yourself with reading material.

And I am not recommending the vodka, but it worked for us.

The docs found a suspicious polyp that was removed during the procedure.

Turns out it was benign, but on the nasty side. And could have become malignant. Also it tells us we need to go every few years for another one.

I am tired of seeing people with colon CA that may have been detected in the very early stages with a simple, albeit annoying, procedure. Often the offending lesion can easily be removed during the porcedure, with no pain, before it becomes actual cancer.

Sorry to go off topic here.

Don't like to be on the soap box, but just had to get this one out.

Take care and God bless.

ok--I'm off topic, too and totally agree with Aunt Dot---maybe we should start one on colonoscopies---please----if you have any family members diagnosed with colon cancer you should have a colonsocopy scheduled 10 years BEFORE their diagnosis--so if Dad had cancer found at 50 you should have your c. scheduled at age 40---it can take 10 years for colon cancer symptoms to show up and usually it's pretty far along by then or too late. Ok, as for colon cleansing believe me the stuff they give you is so delicious!!!!!! If they ask you if you want it flavored you'd better say "yes" and lemon is the most popular. As suggested have lots of reading material on hand. Didn't try the vodka---darn!!!!

I agree with expatgirl and auntdot.... my mother was diagnosed with colon cancer and subsequently died from it.

I will have to try the vodka trick cuz that stuff got hard to drink towards the end.

Oh... I will say that whatever they give you to knock you out while they do the procedure, now that is the part I liked. All I wanted to do is sleep and they kept waking me up telling me it was time to go. I kept telling them to push me out in back of the clinic somewhere so I could go back to sleepyville!!!!

I resisted a colonoscopy for a long time until my doctor told me that, of all the tests available, the colonoscopy was the only one doctors never skipped for themselves.

Really, the anticipation is much worse than the reality.

Me, too, sattie, they hadn't even finished injecting the meds into my IV when I went to sleepyland and afterwards they woke me up (didn't feel a thing!!!) and wheelchaired me to the car and my d-i-l said I was absolutely hilarious on the ride home----didn't make a word of sense but at least I don't have to go for another one for at least 4 years. I'll be 57 then. Is it worth a gallon of mildly salty tasting solution that now thanks to suggestions posted here you can make Tom Colons with (terrible pun--couldn't help it :) ) Yes, the procedure is worth it compared to what the pain and agony of colon cancer treatments involve. Please have it done by age 50 if you have no history of colon cancer in your family just as a matter of routine and definitely if someone has had it earlier in your family tree.

GB, age 50 is the recommended age whether there is or is not a history of colon cancer in your family tree. If a family member has been diagnosed with it then it is recommended that you get a colonoscopy 10 years before their diagnosis. It is especially recommended if you have a history of chronic gastric problems such as ulcerative colitis, etc, or a family history of rectal polyps or colorectal cancer. But age 50 is the year for anybody with or without any problems. Colon cancer is the second most common cancer in the US.

expatgirl said:
Me, too, sattie, they hadn't even finished injecting the meds into my IV when I went to sleepyland and afterwards they woke me up (didn't feel a thing!!!) and wheelchaired me to the car and my d-i-l said I was absolutely hilarious on the ride home----didn't make a word of sense but at least I don't have to go for another one for at least 4 years.

:LOL: :LOL: They could of put the gourney on the highway and I would not have cared!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I know exactly what you are talking about!!!

Please don't skip the colonoscopy. I have had three and they found and removed a large number of polyps each time. Last one, they did a colon resection, where they went in and took out a part of the colon. Not too, bad, but still - no pic-nic . I finally convinced my brother to have the procedure done and they found a bunch in him, too. All of them non-cancerous, thank God!.

Last edited:
Scheduled mine when I was 49 and 11 months, my primary care doc was impressed! (as I hate going to the doc) And yup, the prep is worse than the proceedure. I had to wait a bit to get the time that I wanted, but it was worth it to get the 7:00 am appointment. Left the docs office after the proceedure and actually went to breakfast! (boy, did I need my coffee):rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom