Going to the movies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We saw several movies over New Year's weekend. Here is what we saw

Borat - I didnt think this was funny at all. If making fun of people and acting rude and mean is funny these days, then I don't want to see any more "comedies". Plus I thought it was too stupid to be believable

Dream Girls - Jennifer Hudson SHOULD WIN an Oscar or Golden Globe, she was great in this movie. However, some of the songs are sooooo cheesey. It was a good movie, I enjoyed it.

Volver - Best movie Penelope Cruz has ever made. Don't let the sub-titles keep you from seeing this excellent film about sisters and family. I loved it!

Going South - we rented this one because I adore Charlotte Rampling. Set at a resort in 1970s Haiti, very good (but intense) movie about love (or just sex) with the locals.

Little Miss Sunshine - Hysterical! I thought it was a laugh riot but some parts of the movie made my husband uncomfortable (I think it reminded him of some of his crazy relatives!). Its a dysfunctional family on a roadtrip with an adorable little girl and an insane (but funny) grandpa. MUST SEE!

On my list of films I want to see:
The Queen
Last King of Scotland
Pans Labyrinth
Notes on a Scandal

Toots said:
Volver - Best movie Penelope Cruz has ever made. Don't let the sub-titles keep you from seeing this excellent film about sisters and family. I loved it!

I haven't seen this one yet but we do have it in our collection, so we need to check it out... you are right about not to shy away from foreign films... Spain produced some excellent films in recent years, if you get a chance you should check out "Mar Adentro (Sea Inside)" by Alejandro Amenàbar, about a disabled man who has been confined on a bed for years after a diving accident in his youth, yet with a mind and soul more active and brilliant than anyone, seeking for a right to be liberated from his incapable body. Truly moving.
Also "Seres Queridos (only human)" was a great comedy about an engaged pair of a Jewish girl and a Palestinian guy, they go to her home and he gets to meet her family and all the wacky episodes to follow. Unique and savvy formula of humour you don't get to see around Hollywood very often. Neither of films will NOT disappoint I promise!

SAw The Pursuit of Happiness the other day. I won't say it's a "must see" but it was o.k. I felt that it kind of dragged on and on at one point. The son is a cutey and so is Will, but I was a tad disappointed.

I just saw "Little Miss Sunshine" and I thought it was cute but not as funny as I had heard it was. A good rental though!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom