Holy crud look out!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
This fell out of the sky for no reason yesterday!
Thank goodness the kids weren't over there. It looks like it's been rotting a long time. It was a perfect sunny windless day yesterday, and CRACK BOOM its on the ground!
Beware of falling tree trunks! :ohmy:

Attachments

• IMG_2699.jpg
    IMG_2699.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 203
Whoa. I'm just glad nobody got hurt. That kind of scares me cause I have a really big old maple in my front yard and branches are always falling.

Yup we have at least a hundred oak trees..... about once a year a big chunk will fall off one.... 2 falls ago one twice that size almost fell on the propane tank.
That woulda sucked.
We have more firewood than we could ever burn!!!!
I'd love to cut them all down but that'd be dumb. They all seem to be falling on thier own anyway!!!!

Looks like a fungal disease, and unfortunately not much you can do about it except have them inspected yearly and limbed up to avoid this.
An arborist would be able to help with that and identify which limbs would have to be cut back each year. We also know the owner of Starhill Forest, I am sure he would be more than happy to pass along some info to help you out. The idea is basically that it is better to bring them down yourself as they rot out than let them fall and possible damage something or worse yet hurt someone!

Buddy's right. Also, if you have someone check them out, you might be able to stop it from spreading to still healthy trees. With a lot of trees, it might be expensive (maybe a discount though, for so many), but it would be cheaper in the long run than medical bills (or worse), and house and car repairs that could result from falling and (in the case of a bad storm) blowing branches. I'm glad no one was hurt.

:)Barbara

Um yeah I can't barely buy milk these days.
I'll let 'em rot.

I, too, am glad none of your children were hurt!

My husband is very proud of posessive of his fancy truck.. One day last summer, exactly 15 min. before he pulled into the driveway for the night, a limb about the size of yours fell from our tree, and onto our driveway.. exactly where his truck would've been. :ohmy:

Um yeah I can't barely buy milk these days.
I'll let 'em rot.

In that case, look for any tree limbs leaking that black stuff, and send hubby out to start lopping em off! LOL. That will work on ones he can manage, but the bigger ones once you start to see them leaking a lot of that stuff just cordon off the area and wait for it to fall.
Not much else you can do anyway, we asked Guy Sternberg (the tree expert down by Springfield, IL) and are waiting to hear back from him on what you can do, if anything, to stop the spread.

Back
Top Bottom