Life to do over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
What is one part of your life that you'd like to do over?
With me, I would love to do my school years over. Oh, how I wasted those years. It just seemed that I didn't care and nobody else did either. What a waste. I am trying to make up for it now.:)

My twenties, I'd start from my 20th birthday, I wouldn't marry my ex, I'd travel, I'd realise just how strong and independent I am, and really value those years.

I would go back & change my major in college form Early Childhood Development to Culinary Arts. But then again, I don't even know if I would really do that, I throughly enjoyed my major but it hasen't been as useful as I thought it would be.

I wouldn't change a thing...

Sure, I made mistakes, plenty of mistakes. However, my life now is a direct result of those mistakes and the successes, too. If I was to have done something differently, I would not have my children, would not have been married to a wonderful man for close to twenty years, would not be with the wonderful man I am now with, would not have the friends and associates I have, and most importantly, I'd not have the memories of living all these years with these wonderful people.

I cannot wish or long for something I don't know, so I am so very pleased with what I have and wake every day hoping it continues.:flowers::clap:

I don't think there's anything I would do differently. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. This comes both good and bad. We may not understand the reason for something until many years later or never. We also may not like the reason even when we know it. However, all these experiences have made me the strong person I have become. Sort of like tempering steel. Because of some of my experiences, I have done and accomplished things I never would have imagined when I was younger.

From a bad first marriage I learned to rely on myself and was able to quite nicely take care of myself and my three young children. I felt this was some accomplishment because, by the time I split from my ex, he had eroded my self esteem and confidence down to nothing. He had 10 years to work on me and nearly did a complete job.

I've been with my present husband for just over 30 years and he is the complete opposite from my first husband. He's my biggest cheerleader and says I can do anything I set my my mind to. Instead of feeling stifled as I did before,I feel nurtured and I've blossomed as a result.

Sometimes I wish I'd married my present husband first but, then, I wouldn't have the wonderful children I had with my first husband. They're awesome big people with families of their own now.

Everything in life is an adventure and we never know where the road is going to take us.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Katie:)

I would have spent a lot more time with my Dad. I would spend a lot more time getting to know him, talking to him, learning what made him tick.
My parents got divorced when I was young and due to circumstances, I really didn't have that opportunity. Now it's too late.
I won't make the same mistake with my children.

I would have taken that last opportunity to talk to my momma, instead of telling her that I was okay.

I would study horticulture and develop onions without those pesky little skins and celery with no strings. I hope someone does so in my lifetime. There are probably a few things I would do differently, but most of it was good or taught a lesson I needed.

Like Katie, I wish I had met and married my second husband first.

Oh, so many things I would do differently, if only I could go back!

Unfortunately, we don't get to do that, and perhaps that's for the best, because it's all our experiences that make us what we are.

But if only Kim and I could have met in high school...
Of course Christmas and birthdays would have kept us in the poorhouse, because we'd probably have had a whole trout-line full of babies, and gooodness knows how many grandbabies.

remember: times that suck only help you to realize when times are good.

you wouldn't be the person you are today if not for the hurdles heretofore.

time spent being regretful is the only thing to regret. everything else is life.

a favourite quote:
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

another one from t.r.:
It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.

Last edited:
I'm with those who believe that the screw-ups make you the better person. I like my life now, and I wouldn't be here if I hadn't made those mistakes. The lousy first marriage to a druggie. If I un-did that, I wouldn't have the husband I have now, because I'd have stayed in the Air Force (I got out after one term because HE couldn't stand the discipline. He proceeded to dump me). But getting my honorable discharge and getting a job at the Pentagon led to meeting my husband of 23 years. It's a long haul, and if you undo your previous mistakes, you screw up what you have now. There are a lot of time travel movies and novels about that, but really, think about it.

I have regrets... but like vera said, they gave me the life I have today so
I guess I wouldn't change them. What I have NOW is worth every tear I cried in the past.

Last edited:
There are too many things in my life that I would have changed-mostly dealing with my children-so much I would have spared them if I knew what outcomes were going to be but, I would never, NEVER, ever change in a million years having married Jimmy.We are married 26 and 1/2 years, been together for 30 and have been through heaven and **** and still stand strongly together.

If I had to live my life over I would have never married my husband. I wasted 8 years on him and he had a terrible gambeling problem.

I should have married my boyfriend Brad when I was in my 30's. He was kind, generous and was a living doll. He also had a lot of money that didn't hurt. I couldn't make up my mind and now I am sorry.

Jill and Jolie

I wouldn't do anything different. I'm a firm believer of living without regrets. I'm happy with my life and I've made a lot of mistakes but have learned from them, suffered the consequenses and in some cases reaped rewards. I am grateful for every day I have.:boxing:

Back
Top Bottom