"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
Mimizkitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,607
My New Calling

Ok this is a good vent (is there such a thing?) that I wanted to share with my friends here at DC... I was in the restaurant business for quite some time doing my share of everything... About 18 months ago I gave it all up, very burnt out, and becoming increasingly unhappy... Don't get me wrong, cooking to me is not work, but a happy joyful experience that I feel I can share with those I love... I just needed to find myself, and baking came into my life... Now i've never really baked mainly because I didn't like sweets (well that changed over the last year) I now adore sweets, especially chocolate, but anything will do (well not everything my sweet ladies, get your minds outta the gutta, I know who you are! )

So when I went to Georgia two weeks ago to visit bro n SIL we all sat down and had a fabulous conversation... They both told me I had a gift (they meant for cooking) and that I should run with it... We discussed my new found love of baking, and they said that once again I should do what I feel I am finally called to do...

This got me thinking that maybe it's always been there, but pushed aside for the cooking... I decided, when I got home, that I was going to look for a mentor (no pay just knowledge) so I e-mailed a few bakeries so they could read my purposal and jell it over... Well low and behold I got an e-mail today from one of the most prestigious cake shops in my town asking me to come in on tuesday because they would love to meet with me... I am thrilled!!!

So I decided to make a cake to bring into this meeting, this way they could see how far along I am in the baking department (not very far indeed but very adventurious) I am makin a cake from Rose Beranbaums new book, the cake is called Southern (Manhatten) Coconut Cake with Silk Meringue Buttercream. I've just finished the creme anglaise part of it since the buttercream is in three parts and I thought I knock this out tonight, and finish tomorrow... I chose this recipe (to be honest) because putting coconut chips on a cake is very forgiving ...

I know that there are many pro bakers out there, and I would love if I could hear your thoughts, wisdom, inspiration, and anything else you wanna give...

Say a prayer for me that it all works out... I will keep you posted... XOXO

P.S. K darling, still can't figure out the picture thing, do you think if I e-mailed you the pictures of my beautiful (hopefully) cake you could post it for me???

__________________
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Ok this is a good vent (is there such a thing?) that I wanted to share with my friends here at DC... I was in the restaurant business for quite some time doing my share of everything... About 18 months ago I gave it all up, very burnt out, and becoming increasingly unhappy... Don't get me wrong, cooking to me is not work, but a happy joyful experience that I feel I can share with those I love... I just needed to find myself, and baking came into my life... Now i've never really baked mainly because I didn't like sweets (well that changed over the last year) I now adore sweets, especially chocolate, but anything will do (well not everything my sweet ladies, get your minds outta the gutta, I know who you are! )

So when I went to Georgia two weeks ago to visit bro n SIL we all sat down and had a fabulous conversation... They both told me I had a gift (they meant for cooking) and that I should run with it... We discussed my new found love of baking, and they said that once again I should do what I feel I am finally called to do...

This got me thinking that maybe it's always been there, but pushed aside for the cooking... I decided, when I got home, that I was going to look for a mentor (no pay just knowledge) so I e-mailed a few bakeries so they could read my purposal and jell it over... Well low and behold I got an e-mail today from one of the most prestigious cake shops in my town asking me to come in on tuesday because they would love to meet with me... I am thrilled!!!

So I decided to make a cake to bring into this meeting, this way they could see how far along I am in the baking department (not very far indeed but very adventurious) I am makin a cake from Rose Beranbaums new book, the cake is called Southern (Manhatten) Coconut Cake with Silk Meringue Buttercream. I've just finished the creme anglaise part of it since the buttercream is in three parts and I thought I knock this out tonight, and finish tomorrow... I chose this recipe (to be honest) because putting coconut chips on a cake is very forgiving ...

I know that there are many pro bakers out there, and I would love if I could hear your thoughts, wisdom, inspiration, and anything else you wanna give...

Say a prayer for me that it all works out... I will keep you posted... XOXO

P.S. K darling, still can't figure out the picture thing, do you think if I e-mailed you the pictures of my beautiful (hopefully) cake you could post it for me???
Mimi,
Holy moly girl congraatulations.May I wish you the best of everything. I just know you will blow their socks off. Best wishes and keep us posted.
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
Head Chef
 
Mimizkitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Mimi,
Holy moly girl congraatulations.May I wish you the best of everything. I just know you will blow their socks off. Best wishes and keep us posted.
kades
Thanks Kades, you made me cry, in a good way... XOXO
__________________
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Ok this is a good vent (is there such a thing?) that I wanted to share with my friends here at DC... I was in the restaurant business for quite some time doing my share of everything... About 18 months ago I gave it all up, very burnt out, and becoming increasingly unhappy... Don't get me wrong, cooking to me is not work, but a happy joyful experience that I feel I can share with those I love... I just needed to find myself, and baking came into my life... Now i've never really baked mainly because I didn't like sweets (well that changed over the last year) I now adore sweets, especially chocolate, but anything will do (well not everything my sweet ladies, get your minds outta the gutta, I know who you are! )

So when I went to Georgia two weeks ago to visit bro n SIL we all sat down and had a fabulous conversation... They both told me I had a gift (they meant for cooking) and that I should run with it... We discussed my new found love of baking, and they said that once again I should do what I feel I am finally called to do...

This got me thinking that maybe it's always been there, but pushed aside for the cooking... I decided, when I got home, that I was going to look for a mentor (no pay just knowledge) so I e-mailed a few bakeries so they could read my purposal and jell it over... Well low and behold I got an e-mail today from one of the most prestigious cake shops in my town asking me to come in on tuesday because they would love to meet with me... I am thrilled!!!

So I decided to make a cake to bring into this meeting, this way they could see how far along I am in the baking department (not very far indeed but very adventurious) I am makin a cake from Rose Beranbaums new book, the cake is called Southern (Manhatten) Coconut Cake with Silk Meringue Buttercream. I've just finished the creme anglaise part of it since the buttercream is in three parts and I thought I knock this out tonight, and finish tomorrow... I chose this recipe (to be honest) because putting coconut chips on a cake is very forgiving ...

I know that there are many pro bakers out there, and I would love if I could hear your thoughts, wisdom, inspiration, and anything else you wanna give...

Say a prayer for me that it all works out... I will keep you posted... XOXO

P.S. K darling, still can't figure out the picture thing, do you think if I e-mailed you the pictures of my beautiful (hopefully) cake you could post it for me???
how exciting for you. you will do just wonderfully.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,783
Oh WOW, Mimi.........I'm just thrilled to read this news. Hey girl, you're on your way!!

As far a the pictures are concerned, I'd be glad to try but I guarantee that there's folks here that know a ton more about posting original pictures than I do. Mimi....make a new post here on DC, so it will get full attention, and I bet we'll both learn something.

PS.......check this out Mimi.....I just found it. See #8

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ics-62916.html
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
very cool!

good luck, mimiz!!!

btw, i love coconut cakes!
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,890
This is a very good thing. Good Luck! I'd bet on your success.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
Sous Chef
 
ella/TO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 797
Mimi as they say in "French"(Yiddish) mit muzzel---(with good luck!) may all your cakes be wonderful ones.....
ella/TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
getoutamykitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasco County, Florida
Posts: 5,658
Mimi,
Congratulations! I wish you all the success in the world. I'm so excited for you.
Can't wait to see pics of the cake and hear how things went on tuesday.
__________________
Finally things have started clicking for me, my knees, my elbows, my back, etc...
getoutamykitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
Mimizkitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,607
Hope this works...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC PIX 046.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	8150   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC PIX 048.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	8151  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC PIX 050.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	8152  
__________________
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
Head Chef
 
Mimizkitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayelle View Post
oh wow, mimi.........i'm just thrilled to read this news. Hey girl, you're on your way!!

As far a the pictures are concerned, i'd be glad to try but i guarantee that there's folks here that know a ton more about posting original pictures than i do. Mimi....make a new post here on dc, so it will get full attention, and i bet we'll both learn something.

Ps.......check this out mimi.....i just found it. See #8

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ics-62916.html
i love you!!!!!
__________________
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
getoutamykitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasco County, Florida
Posts: 5,658
OMG! That looks wonderful. I want cake!
__________________
Finally things have started clicking for me, my knees, my elbows, my back, etc...
getoutamykitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
Sous Chef
 
ella/TO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 797
How wonderful!!! you did it girl!!!!!!
ella/TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
Head Chef
 
Mimizkitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,607
Chocolate Banana Stud Cake, and
The Black Stallion...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC PIX 038.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	8153   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC PIX 039.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	8154  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC PIX 047.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	8155  
__________________
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
i love you!!!!!
I love you back, Darlin' !! Not only did you make gorgeous cakes......but you learned how to give us all eye candy!!
There's just no stopping you now girl !!
Whooooo Hoooooooo
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #16
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,341
WhooHoo! Congratulations!!!!! Way to go!!!!!! YAAAAaaaaa!!!!

__________________
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,242
Wow those look fabulous!

Welcome to baking. Baking for me feeds my need to micro manage and control little things, so I don't drive my friends and family crazy, LOL! Oh and it is in my blood, I just love baking.

While not a professional pastry chef, there isn't much that I haven't done pastrywise. My friends and family nudge me to take it further, I already have people in the neighborhood pay me to bake for them, as well as co-workers and friends. My only issue is getting a job with health benefits, since small bakery businesses don't/can't offer it.

I have a similar Black Stallion in my kitchen, I call her Birtha, she has given me 15 years of good service so far.
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #18
Head Chef
 
Mimizkitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
I have a similar Black Stallion in my kitchen, I call her Birtha, she has given me 15 years of good service so far.
Anybody who can give you that many years is a keeper... I have a smaller kitchen aid (the green genie) that I have had for over 20 years, now BS&GG share bowls n beaters... I think they're in love... My goal is to open a small bakery/coffee/tea house with my daughter when she moves back next year... I'd love to hear any tips you might have, my one tip I just learned is to weigh everything, aside from being accurate, it's 100 times easier...

Thank you for your kind words, I look forward to hearing your baking stories... XOXO Mimi
__________________
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #19
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Anybody who can give you that many years is a keeper... I have a smaller kitchen aid (the green genie) that I have had for over 20 years, now BS&GG share bowls n beaters... I think they're in love... My goal is to open a small bakery/coffee/tea house with my daughter when she moves back next year... I'd love to hear any tips you might have, my one tip I just learned is to weigh everything, aside from being accurate, it's 100 times easier...

Thank you for your kind words, I look forward to hearing your baking stories... XOXO Mimi
My sis wants to open a shop just like that, when she retires from the military in about 4 years at the rip old age of 45, LOL! She currently lives in Savannah, I think it would do well there. She wants me to sell my house, pack up and move to be her baker!

I am with you on the weighing thing, once I bought a scale, there was no going back. I am in the process of converting old family recipes to weight, and tweaking them ever so slightly. I am always on the quest for the perfect recipe for any given thing.

Do you have Shirley O'Corrihers BakeWise? I do and it is excellent, really speaks to my inner baking nerd, a really good read. I love how it gets into the chemistry of each ingredient and how it works. I have the carrot cake from that book in the kitchen, just waiting for guests to arrive this afternoon.
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #20
Head Chef
 
Mimizkitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,607
No I don't have that book but i'll be sure to go to B&N this week and peruse it will a Starbucks in hand... I just bought Rose Beranbaums new book, Heavenly Cakes, the two cakes on this thread are from her book... If you don't have it, it worth a look...
__________________
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.