Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PF, we have a fence 3/4 of the way around. All our previous dogs were trained to stay in the yard. DH said he will not fence that last part. I will keep on him about it. It's only a space about 15-20 ft across.

PF, we have a fence 3/4 of the way around. All our previous dogs were trained to stay in the yard. DH said he will not fence that last part. I will keep on him about it. It's only a space about 15-20 ft across.

Then the only way Rusty will get to be outside by himself will be at the end of a tie down. Or DH can drive around looking for him all each time.:rolleyes:

Mom and Dad had a long chain that ran along a wire from the back porch post to the corner of the garage. Our dog would bark to be let out, we'd grab the end of the chain that had the clasp, hook it to the loop in her harness, then send her on her merry way! She never got out, rarely tangled the chain, and could stay out as long as she wanted to...or at least until we called her in.

So far, Rusty will go out on the tie-out, but wants someone out there with him. I don't mind going out with him, and I actually prefer to be out there in case he finds a way to get off that tie-out. Unfortunately, he only wants to go in the direction where there's no fence, not to the other side that is all fenced in. It's a really strong tie out, and he's only 11.5 lbs, but you know where there's a will, there's a way. We have until fall when the cold weather comes back to get this straightened out.

Now that I've calmed down and started thinking about yesterday I've started wondering which neighbors saw me running up the street screaming like a banshee. Last night we went out to eat. I don't know if DH was being serious or just kidding me, but he said he overheard these people at another table talking about a woman screaming over in the Penns Woods area...that's where I live. LOL Maybe he was kidding. If any of my neighbors mentions seeing me, I will die of embarassment. Most of them are too old to come out and help me.

The last of our pugs, Pandora, crossed over the rainbow bridge yesterday. We've known it's been coming for a long time, she was almost 16 and had a collapsing trachea, which caused her to cough. The condition got much worse in the past 2 weeks plus she started pacing incessantly until she would just collapse from exhaustion, besides the fact that she's had arthritis for a long time. I put it off too long because I was being selfish and didn't want to lose the last of my babies. Hopefully Cleo, Circe and Sampson were there to meet her and they are all playing and having fun. Hopefully our Keena is there with them too. She was a half golden lab and malamute mix that was Cleo and Dora's special friend and playmate when they were puppies and young dogs before she passed over.

Last edited:
Today there was a show on just how intelligent are dogs. Do they get their intelligence from their owners that teach them or do they figure out things for themselves.

So after watching it I realized that there are certain things Teddy has figured out for himself. When he needs to go out, he always goes to Spike's left side. Or he will jump up on the bed when Spike is sleeping and start to nudge Spike's left hand. Spike has never taught him to go to the left side. But Teddy knows it is the hand that holds the leash while they are walking. Spike usually brings along a paperback book and reads while they are walking. He holds the book in his left hand and the leash in his left. Just before he leaves here, Spike uses the bathroom. Teddy will try to follow him. "Go see Grandma." I am out of sight by then. Teddy knows the word 'Grandma.' I don't call him, he listens to Spike and just comes and jumps up on me. I never have had to call him. Spike tells him to go see Grandma. He also knows "Grandma is sleeping." He will not bark at the door when Spike tells him that. Any other time we almost have to put a muzzle on him to stop his barking when someone is out in the hallway.

In the four years since he was born and Spike has had him, he has picked up a lot on his own. He is very sensitive to any moves Spike or I make. And he certainly knows a lot of words without even being taught directly. Spike talks to Teddy (so do I) in a conversational manner. "Are you ready to go out?" Teddy will either turn his head away and lay back down, or get all excited.

So if you really pay attention to your pet, you will be (or maybe not)surprised at just how much it has learned on its own without you even teaching them. :angel:

Last edited:
Carol, your Rusty is such a sweet looking little guy. Have fun with him. :wub:

medtran and Craig, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your Pandora. :(

Addie, it sounds like you have a lot of fun with Teddy - dogs are so smart, and can pick up on so much from their humans. I miss having a dog.

Carol, your Rusty is such a sweet looking little guy. Have fun with him. :wub:

medtran and Craig, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your Pandora. :(

Addie, it sounds like you have a lot of fun with Teddy - dogs are so smart, and can pick up on so much from their humans. I miss having a dog.

Teddy is Spike's dog. But you just can't help but fall in love with him. If I don't see him for two days in a row, I call Spike and let him know, "I need my Teddy fix!!!" He brings him by that night.

I have never been an animal lover. But my girlfriend in California has four Yorkies. They are all named after New York. Brooklyn was my favorite. They referred to her as their whore dog. She would go to anyone who would scratch her or rub her belly. But you couldn't help taking to all of them. Broadway was the only male. He was always the Dog on Duty! He would keep the three girls in line. He died of old age and then they got Taxi. She is real tiny. Definitely a lap dog. :angel:

Saturday night on NatGeo Wild, they had a show on Dr. Pol, Vet. about putting pets down. I couldn't watch all of it. Just too sad. You could see the pets almost begging to "let me go. It is time." I don't know who I felt worse for. The owners or the pets. :angel:

Teddy's Daughter

My new avatar is the result of Teddy's Dastardly Deed. His daughter. I don't know what they named her. :angel:

Thanks all. It was really, really hard to make the call to the vet and then the visit but, as I wrote, it was past time to let her go.

DH took Beagle, the aquaphobe, into the shower with him. Now she's shaking and rolling and flinging herself around on the carpet in the sunroom, and looking very annoyed.

DH took Beagle, the aquaphobe, into the shower with him. Now she's shaking and rolling and flinging herself around on the carpet in the sunroom, and looking very annoyed.

When Teddy gets a bath, he won't even stay in the same room with Spike. The last time he kept his mad on for a full week. Totally ignores Spike when he calls Teddy. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom