The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got new eye drops for my glaucoma. Some of the previous ones have made all the skin around my eyes red, dry, and puffy, as well as making my eyes itchy. The new ones are actually one of those, but in a formulation that doesn't have any preservative. It comes in little, one use pipettes. Well, it wasn't the preservative. Used it twice and the eyes are itchy and the skin is puffing up. I quit them. I was going to give them a good try, but by the time I was supposed to take my second dose yesterday, they had gotten even worse. So, I'll have to phone my ophthalmologist on Monday.

Geez, taxy, I hope they find something that works that doesn't have nasty side effects. You've been on this roller coaster for far too long with finding something that works. (hugs)

Geez, taxy, I hope they find something that works that doesn't have nasty side effects. You've been on this roller coaster for far too long with finding something that works. (hugs)

Thanks. It's only one of two kinds of eye drops that I take. I really hope we find something. The ophthalmologist suggested that I could have cataract surgery now, rather than waiting until I need it. It sometimes helps glaucoma. I'm kind of reluctant, because cataract surgery on patients with glaucoma isn't nearly as straightforward as for people who don't have glaucoma.

Dad's blood was not thin enough, so he didn't get to come home today. His INR was at 1.2, they want it between 2-3. Brought Dad some fresh veggies and fruit. Roasted asparagus and tomatoes for him. The hospital keeps bringing him carrots and corn, things he does not eat. Dad also does not eat canned fruit and veg. So Mom and I went shopping (for me) and out to dinner.

Dad's blood was not thin enough, so he didn't get to come home today. His INR was at 1.2, they want it between 2-3. Brought Dad some fresh veggies and fruit. Roasted asparagus and tomatoes for him. The hospital keeps bringing him carrots and corn, things he does not eat. Dad also does not eat canned fruit and veg. So Mom and I went shopping (for me) and out to dinner.
INR 1.2--ouch. However, a normal person's INR is 1.0. That is without heart meds or issues. Mine was the "control" I would use when teaching caregivers how to pull the blood. There are these nifty little "syringe like" pipettes--I couldn't get the blood on the strip without a pipette and really liked those little syringe ones. We had a home device so I could pull Mom's INR--MDINR (LINCARE--Medicare covered the cost for the device, strips, and pipettes). I would check it when she was "off." I did have to check it once a week, but I got very familiar with her INR so would pull blood whenever I felt she needed to have her INR checked. I hate to say this, but asparagus is on the "no-no" list--I only gave Mom asparagus when her INR was high because of the vit K. She absolutely loved asparagus. This was my Mom, doesn't apply to your Dad. Mom's range was 2.5 - 4, but she went wacky in the summer--it would go from 1.6 to 5.5 in 5 days--drove me crazy because I was so diligent about her diet. Hated giving the Lovenox shots. I liked her best around 3.1-3.3. Hugs to you, your Daddy, and Mom.

Last edited:
INR 1.2--ouch. However, a normal person's INR is 1.0. That is without heart meds or issues. Mine was the "control" I would use when teaching caregivers how to pull the blood. There are these nifty little "syringe like" pipettes--I couldn't get the blood on the strip without a pipette and really liked those little syringe ones. We had a home device so I could pull Mom's INR--MDINR. I would check it when she was "off." I did have to check it once a week, but I got very familiar with her INR. I hate to say this, but asparagus is on the "no-no" list--I only gave Mom asparagus when her INR was high because of the vit K. This was my Mom, doesn't apply to your Dad. Mom's range was 2.5 - 4. I liked her best around 3.1-3.3. Hugs to you, your Daddy, and Mom.

Thanks, CWS!
Yes, we will be working on the veg, Dad's favorites are the green leafy type, exactly what he shouldn't have.
I suggested that Dad ask for the MDINR, but he says he doesn't mind going to the lab weekly for a draw. He always drives in for Taco Tuesday anyway. Mom had one, but it was a rental and went back when she switched to Eliquis.

Thanks, CWS!
Yes, we will be working on the veg, Dad's favorites are the green leafy type, exactly what he shouldn't have.
I suggested that Dad ask for the MDINR, but he says he doesn't mind going to the lab weekly for a draw. He always drives in for Taco Tuesday anyway. Mom had one, but it was a rental and went back when she switched to Eliquis.
For us, it was the horror of getting Mom in and out of the car in the winter. Having the device at home was soooo much more convenient. Also, I could pull her INR between checks. I really missed the leafy green veggies. When her INR was out of range, I had to pull it 2-3x a week. Taking her in, would have been a PITA. Mom was really sensitive--if her INR was too high, all I had to do was give her asparagus or cole slaw and it would drop back into range. It was when it was low that it was more challenging. I pulled Ensure out of her diet because of the vit K in that. She was that sensitive. I only gave her Ensure when she was at the top of her range.

Last edited:
Luckily, Mom and Dad are still mobile and I don't have to worry about that. They are more mobile than me most days.

Luckily, Mom and Dad are still mobile and I don't have to worry about that. They are more mobile than me most days.
It took two months of arguing with my Dad before he agreed having the device was a good idea--it was the idea of having to get Mom dressed to go outside, in and out of a vehicle, at -20F or colder that convinced him. Lack of mobility definitely changes one's perspective when it comes to things like checking the INR weekly or however often. Mom had an artificial valve, so could only take coumadin. Dad is on a med that doesn't need an INR check.

Dad is home as of Monday and he is doing well.

My turn again, I have a problem with my incision and am seeing the surgeon tomorrow. I don't have an infection but there is a build up of fluid and a suture sticking out that is not allowing it to heal.

PF, nice to hear that things are going well with your dad and that he is coming home.

I hope you get that incision problem cleared up soon.

PF

+1 to dad being home..

You are due for a break from family illness..

Ross

drove for 5 hours in blowing and drifting snow for a 15 minute appointment with the surgeon. Got an antibiotic and my mind at ease, re"infection and treatment. Just got home from a 3 hour drive back on dry roads...Welcome to Wyoming.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

drove for 5 hours in blowing and drifting snow for a 15 minute appointment with the surgeon. Got an antibiotic and my mind at ease, re"infection and treatment. Just got home from a 3 hour drive back on dry roads...Welcome to Wyoming.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Driving in those conditions is exhausting.

Oh My!
Do take care PF!
You're still working on a limited schedule, right?!

Yes, I am allowed to leave when I am too tired to carry on. I've been able to handle a few 8 hour days, so far. I'm not expected to cover the floor or be on call. I just go in and do my assessments and submissions to the government for Medicare and Medicaid. Most of it is desk work at this point.

Yes, I am allowed to leave when I am too tired to carry on. I've been able to handle a few 8 hour days, so far. I'm not expected to cover the floor or be on call. I just go in and do my assessments and submissions to the government for Medicare and Medicaid. Most of it is desk work at this point.

GOOD!!!
I wouldn't want to have to drive up there and them what-for :ninja: I got me some mean kung fu moves dontcha know :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom