USA 4th of July

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
What are you doing this year?

I've looked around and can't see that someone else has started it. Since it falls in the middle of the week this year, it's brought our town a whole heck of a lot of tourists. Since we're square in the Midwest, a lot of people from the larger towns and cities are finding it a good time to take a week off and come to Galena (and I've heard the reasons why but can't remember, we're about 5 to 10 degrees cooler than cities w/i a day's drive like Chicago, the QC, St Louis). Love it!

We were just asked to ride in the local winery's deuce-and-a-half in the parade. How fun! Probably will sniff out a local eatery that has a grill going.

We will be headed to the western end of Maryland, just a stones throw from West VA for Mrs Hoot's annual family reunion. There is always plenty of food, drink, and it sure is beautiful country. Gonna make a side stop on the way at Pickle Bob's Ice Cream stand in Haymarket VA.

We're leaving tomorrow for two weeks in Michigan to visit family. On the 4th, we will be at my in-laws' house. Hopefully DH's brother, wife and kids can come visit that day or Thursday.

If it's a paid holiday, I will be off work. I'll see if I have anything we can grill in the freezer. If it's not a paid holiday, I will be at work, I really don't need another day off.

Unfortunately the 4th is a laboral day for us in Spain ...

So, we had a dual celebration today with a late late lunch and I am busy showing a colleague D.C. to keep up with my posting.

Ciao, and Have A Wonderful 4th,
Margi.

We're planning a get together with my daughter, SIL and grandson. Hoping it's a nice day so GS can go in the pool.

I'm sure you have all heard of our fire near Colorado Springs. This year for the 4th of July we will be going to a fund raiser concert for those impacted by the Waldo Canyon Fire. So many people lost their homes. I have a friend who lost her home and got to go see the burn area today. My heart goes out to her. What a terrible thing to go through. I heard from her this morning. She is just trying to wrap her head around all that has happened The only concern about going to the fundraiser is we won't be home if someone sets off fireworks and starts a grass fire near my house, but that is a chance we will take. The community has really came together for the evacuees and the firefighters. So many donations of food and other items. no firework shows to go to in this area. May have a barbecue here at home during the day with friend's.

Oh Chopper. I've been worried about you. {{{{{Chopper}}}}}. You are in our thoughts and prayers. So sorry to hear about your friend and all the other people this fire has impacted.

We have friends out around your area, so far, they're doing OK.

Last edited:
We will be working on that day, no holiday for us here but it sounds like some of you are going to be doing some great things, hope you all have a fabulous time no matter what you do :)

Dawgluver said:
Oh Chopper. I've been worried about you. {{{{{Chopper}}}}}. You are in our thoughts and prayers. So sorry to hear about your friend and all the other people this fire has impacted.

We have friends out around your area, so far, they're doing OK.

Thanks. I am glad your friend's are ok. The area that burned was beautiful! They saved 81% of the houses in that area, but so many burned to the ground. 20 staff members (in the SD I work for) lost their homes. We had one elementary school that had 34 kids who lost their homes. And that doesn't count all of the people who had visible damage to their homes, or smoke damage.

Back
Top Bottom