Which vegetable you hated but now love to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
I couldn't stand the look or smell of broccoli hated it. Now I just love eating it after trying it out some years ago.

Which vegetable you hated but now love to eat?

I love all veggies. As a child, there were some that I avoided, but these were mainly the way they were made or brought home. For example, canned asparagus. I simply do not like it, but I love fresh asparagus!

I hated canned peas as a child. I still hate them. The one that surprised every adult was that I really disliked fried onions as a topping to meat. The surprise part was that I found them too sweet. Most adults just told me they weren't sweet. I like fried onions now.

We only had fresh peas in season as a child, I didn't mind canned peas but hated frozen, after a couple of decades I hated canned peas and would only prpare frozen. Now I don't care which, frozen, fresh, prefer not to have canned but will in a pinch. Not my most absolute favourite but I like them well enough.

Mushrooms petrified me as a kid. One day in my 20's a girlfriend was putting them in her spaghetti sauce, I suddenly reached out and snagged one - then 2 then 3 and then she whacked my hand with the spoon to stop. I couldn't get enough of canned mushrooms -
Now I have moved on to fresh, go thru at least an 8 oz container or more every week.
I keep a couple of cans in the cupboard for the odd use, and still love direct from the can.

I'm sure there are more but those are the first two that come to mind.

Butternut squash! I HATED! it. It made me gag and my parents made me eat it. I'd be sitting at the dinner table alone for a long time after dinner until mom took pity and let me go.

Now I love the stuff. We eat it regularly. With and without brown sugar, with and without roasted garlic, etc.

I hated a lot of vegetables early on, because I only knew the canned variety, while growing up! Let's face it, most canned veggies are already overcooked, but back then they would get dumped in a pot, with the horrible liquid, and boil them another 30 minutes, smelling up the entire house (or neighborhood?). I think that's why so many people hate brassicas (especially Brussels sprouts), even now, when they can get them fresh year round. Besides the canned versions, I can't think of any that I didn't like, except beets - something that I have never liked, even various types I grew myself, as they all tasted like dirt! Yet the greens, and Swiss chard I love, and have none of the flavor. I think it's a genetic thing, like the cilantro tasting like soap to some.

Last edited:
Tomatoes... As a kid I hated all tomatoes and derivatives. Can't imagine live w/o them now :)

For a long time growing up I didn't like mushroom or chicken soup. I eventually liked them both, with mushroom coming into favour later than the chicken - I don't recall what made the difference. Another thing I disliked as a child was cucumber - until I went for a meal with a friend and her family in their caravan and they were serving cucumber as part of a salad. I didn't like to say no - now I have it often.

Just don't ask me to like celery!

Gillian

I could never eat Lima Beans as a kid. Anything but Lima Beans.

When I was in the Marines we'd be traveling through villages and locals would run behind our trucks asking us sitting back there for C Rations.

We'd throw Beanie Weenies, Spaghetti, Beef and potatoes to them but if we threw Ham n Lima beans they'd throw them back at us.
"No Ham n M'fers" they'd yell at us.

1990272.jpg

I had them recently at a restaurant and prepared the right way can be ok. Can't say I love them, but it's all in how they are prepared IMHO.

Growing up the ancient elders in my family lived on mid west farms during the depression.
So depression era food still made its way to the diner table decades later.

Rubarb was on their kids-hate-it-but-serve-it-anyway hit list.

Rheum_rhabarbarum.2006-04-27.uellue.jpg

But now I like how Knotts Berry farm serves it. Again, all in how its prepared:

mrs-knott-s-chicken-dinner.jpg

Last edited:
LOL... so did I! Gramma would give us a bowl of sugar to dip the end of the stalk in to munch.

and yes, we were always warned not to eat the leaves.

When I was a kid, I used to eat rhubarb raw out of the garden at my aunt's house. I didn't get many opportunities to do that as a kid, because my aunt lived in a suburb of Copenhagen. We were warned not to eat too much of it, because it would eat the enamel off our teeth. I have no idea if that is true.

Salad. I refused to eat salad. Of course my mother only knew how to make one salad: Iceberg lettuce and tomato wedges, covered with oil & vinegar dressing seasoned with only salt and pepper.

Most of my life I hated asparagus. Until...I was about in my 40s and working as a newspaper writer/proofreader/editor. The owner decided that, as a morale thing, that we should have Friday potluck for lunch.

One of our crew brought an asparagus dish, made from canned of all things, and that's when I fell in love with the veggie.

Don't know how the switch was thrown but, now, I love the stuff, especially fresh!!

Back
Top Bottom