Easiest/quickest way to strain homemade chicken or beef stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianabell

Assistant Cook
What is the easiest way to get rid of the chicken carcus, neck, feet, etc. or beef bones after cooking broth?

Some people who some type of bag (not sure if it's made out of cheese cloth or what). They lift the bag, empty it, and pop it in the washing machine. I'll be using a pressure and don't know what type of bag would hold up to the heat of a pressure cooker.

Or do you think just pouring through a strainer works best?

Diane

You want some cheesecloth in your strainer - and several layers of it too - make sure it comes up the sides. And when you get to the very bottom don't pour anymore - that's where the stuff is that clouds up your broth. And don't press on everything to make more "juice" come out.

I take it you scoop out the foam as you go.

I know I probably told you stuff you already know but if someone reads it who doesn't know it may help them. :chef:

I do what Kitchenelf described. One additional thing I do is use a pair of tongs to remove the large pieces instead of trying to pour those out. That way you do not have large pieces causing big splashes.

I use a large spider to take out most of the bones and other solids then strain it as the others do with a cheesecloth lined colander.

Kitchenelf,

You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Thank you. Right after I posted I thought I wonder if cooking with the chicken parts in a bag would change the taste? If so, it doesn't sound very tasty. I'll do it your way and GB's way. This will be my first time making stock.

Thank you both!

Diane

I don't usually "clarify" my stock, I just scrape the scum off all the while it's cooking and lift out the parts and vegies with a handled strainer, then pour through a fine mesh strainer into another pot. I like to put whole peppercorns in while everything is cooking, and my daughter hates it when she finds one in the finished product.

I put the steamer in the bottom of my pan...that way all the big pieces are easy to lift out.

Another thing I don't do is pre-remove the larger "stuff". I don't want to disturb what has settled to the bottom of the pot. I watch, like GB said, for the bigger stuff as it falls out. If you can find a large pot that your strainer fits on top of that is ideal as there won't be any splashes. When the strainer gets full just empty and keep pouring.

I appreciate all of these great tips. Thanks again! I hope to give it a try this weekend.

Diane

You can find this style strainer in pretty large sizes and fine to coarse mesh. I like the hook opposite the handle to rest on the rim of another stock pot.

31JvDz5MByL._AA280_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom