How many quarts/pints/cups in a gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two-for-one taxy. Two tablespoons for every ounce.

Himself needed one of those graphics today cave. Before I left to grocery shop I asked him to move the last of the milk in the gallon to a pint bottle. He said "I bet there isn't much more than a cup here" and proceeds to pour it into my one-cupper (measuring cup #1). Just before it overflows he stops, pulls out the 2-cup one (measuring cup #2) and pours cup #1 into cup #2 and then empties the rest of the bottle...to the 14 oz mark. Kinda like my "just under a pint" eyeball measure. If it had been only a cup it wouldn't have made a difference since the smallest glass bottle we have is a pint size.

To get it into the bottle he had to move that 14 oz to a cup (measuring cup #3) with a narrower pour spout since the other two he used are more for pouring measured liquid into a mixing bowl. Lucky him he had all three cups washed by the time I got home. :LOL:

Oh, should those last two paragraphs have gone in the "petty vents" thread? :ermm:

:LOL::LOL:

I can remember those, but sometimes get confused by how many ounces or tablespoons in a cup.
I have to think carefully when presented with a table spoon or teaspoon of something in a modern recipe. I learned to cook pre-metrication when a tablespoon/teaspoon etc., meant a heaped spoonful with as much heaped above the edge of the spoon as below it so an ounce was a heaped tablespoonful. Now, after metrication a spoonful has come to mean a level spoonful so half the amount.

As I have both pre- and post-metrication cookery books the brain has to be in gear!

I think it would be a good graphic for a printed border in the kitchen, or on tiles to scatter in a back splash.

Back
Top Bottom