What are your favorite kind of cakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about a nice smoked salmon cheese cake or jalapeno cheese cake.:yum:

Strawberry Shortcake ( but the frosting has to be real whipped cream, not the other stuff bakeries sometime use.

cheese cake ( denser, cream cheese kind)
Since shortcake is hard, i.e. basically a thick biscuit, I have often wondered about how this is eaten, i.e. sliced. Does it soften with the berries and cream?

British shortcake and American shortcake are not the same thing. Your 'biscuit' is our 'cookie'. Our shortcake is more like a cake, not a cookie.

Google 'strawberry shortcake dessert' and you'll see the difference.

In parts of the South, a sweet biscuit (American-style) is used to make strawberry shortcake.
051111001-strawberry-shortcake-recipe_xlg.jpg

I don't know how authentic it is, but strawberry shortcake is yummy made with leftover sponge cake or angel food cake.

I don't know how authentic it is, but strawberry shortcake is yummy made with leftover sponge cake or angel food cake.

I found this interesting page about the history of strawberry shortcake - and another fascinating website to spend my time on :ermm: :LOL: ?

It's sort of based on the English scones with strawberries and cream. It changed through the years when different ingredients, like baking soda, and technologies, like refrigeration, became available.

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2013/05/history-strawberry-shortcake-recipe/

Dark Chocolate cake with dark chocolate ganache. Very moist carrot cake with cream cheese icing.

Oh yes, I was thinking earlier about the flourless chocolate cake with dark chocolate-cinnamon ganache we made last Christmas. So good.

I made a flourless chocolate cake using fine ground hazelnuts...must do again for Thanksgiving. Thanks for the reminder.:pig:

How about a nice smoked salmon cheese cake or jalapeno cheese cake.:yum:
yuck! I can't either think of salmon or jalapeno for dessert. lol
Homemade Dobosh torte or the Italian Cream cake.
yum!

Strawberry Shortcake ( but the frosting has to be real whipped cream, not the other stuff bakeries sometime use.

cheese cake ( denser, cream cheese kind)
Love both shortcake and cheesecake!

Since shortcake is hard, i.e. basically a thick biscuit, I have often wondered about how this is eaten, i.e. sliced. Does it soften with the berries and cream?
Yes it softens very slighten, and it is good. I served mine open face with cream and strawberries.

In parts of the South, a sweet biscuit (American-style) is used to make strawberry shortcake.
I like to sweeten my biscuits with about a 1/2 cup to 1 cup of sugar to make it more dessert like,.

Dark Chocolate cake with dark chocolate ganache. Very moist carrot cake with cream cheese icing.

I made a flourless chocolate cake using fine ground hazelnuts...must do again for Thanksgiving. Thanks for the reminder.:pig:

Nice!

...Italian Cream cake.
There is a bakery in suburban Cleveland near my parents' old house that makes the most delightful Italian Cassata Cake: "Layers of sponge cake filled with ricotta cheese, chocolate chips and maraschino". They call it their "signature cake". I don't know if it's the same type of cake as what you posted, but I know it is excellent. The family has been there for generations - we ordered a cake from them for my high school graduation party in 1969 and they were already a long-established bakery.

Dark Chocolate cake with dark chocolate ganache...
May I have my slice with a small scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, please? :yum:

There is a bakery in suburban Cleveland near my parents' old house that makes the most delightful Italian Cassata Cake: "Layers of sponge cake filled with ricotta cheese, chocolate chips and maraschino". They call it their "signature cake". I don't know if it's the same type of cake as what you posted, but I know it is excellent.

That does sound good but no, the one I was referring to is usually made with buttermilk and has pecans and coconut in the batter, and is frosted with a cream cheese based icing with usually chopped pecans pressed on the sides or decorating the top, sometimes toasted coconut as well, though I prefer just the pecans.

I seriously doubt it's actually Italian in origin but I have no idea why it came to be named that.

yuck! I can't either think of salmon or jalapeno for dessert. lol

!

The salmon or lobster or crab one is actually an appy or for a buffet type of light foods for a cocktail party.

My brother-in-law, Craig's brother, introduced us to the concept of using jalapenos for dessert. He made a jalapeno chocolate cheesecake that apparently some people really like, not my cup of tea though I believe Craig thought it was pretty good when we had some. He also made fudge with jalapenos, not my cup of tea either but I'm also not much of a chili head.

Oh, that did remind me of another cake though, BIL's triple chocolate cheesecake made with white, milk and semi-sweet chocolate layers. Absolutely one of the best I've ever had. He also served it with a dark chocolate sauce but that made it just too rich for me, serious overload.

In New England, especially Maine, this is how shortcake is made. I believe by definition a shortcake is like an american style slightly sweetened biscuit.

When I moved to NC, angel cake or those little premade sponges were the norm. I was confused because with this being big biscuit territory, why hadn't they thought of using them for strawberry shortcake? :yum:

Biscuits are my preferred shortcake, maybe it tastes better or maybe it's nostalgia.

My favorite would have to be German's chocolate cake, homemade. When I make this cake (which isn't often since I'll eat it until it's gone!), I double the amount of melted chocolate in the batter.

I don't really care for most store bought ones. They are usually just a chocolate layer cake with a little coconut pecan icing plopped on the top, THAT'S THE BEST PART!

I also love Italian cream cake, cakes flavored with almond and carrot cake, again homemade, store bought ones usually end up fluffy and lacking flavor. Chocolate cake is my go-to if nothing else catches my eye.

I've lived in Massachusetts for 70 years and 99.99% of the shortcakes I've eaten have been made with these. You can buy them in any supermarket. I can't speak to what's common in Maine.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 160
  • 00045000010338_full.jpg
    00045000010338_full.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 152
I've lived in Massachusetts for 70 years and 99.99% of the shortcakes I've eaten have been made with these. You can buy them in any supermarket. I can't speak to what's common in Maine.

My grandmother loved those sponge cups!

She used them for shortcakes, ice cream sundaes and her own odd version of an individual Boston cream pie.

The rest of us hated them and learned how to make baking powder biscuits for strawberry shortcake. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom