ISO - Best meatloaf recipe you know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
meatloaf-stuffed

make your meatloaf how u normally would but, lay it down flat spread it out..and roll up into it thin slices of ham and provalone or montery jack cheese,and i also use spinache too...its colorful and good tasting.. roll it into a log and seal the ends...bake normally...my kids love this.. :LOL:

Apple Meat Loaf

1 lrg onion -- finely chopped
2 tbl butter
2 1/2 lb ground beef
1 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 cup apples -- peeled and cored, finely chopped
3 x eggs -- beaten
1 tbl chopped parsley
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 cup ketchup

Saute onion in butter until soft. Combine all ingredients, mixing thoroughly. Form into loaf and place in 10- x 14 inch baking pan (or pack into large, greased loaf pan). Bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let sit 15 minutes before serving.
Yield: 10 servings.

After 15 years of trying to make "my grandmother's" meatloaf, I finally found the solution here in Germany. I'm sure the ingredients are available in the States. This is truly a "comfort" food recipe. No cutting fat or carbo corners.

about 1.5 pounds ground beef
1/2 pounds or so ground pork
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Lipton's Onion Soup Mix
1 egg
3/4 cup or so of fresh breadcrumbs
3/4 cup Heinz Ketchup
salt and pepper to taste

Carmelize onions and green peppers in olive oil. Turn down burner and add garlic. Sautee garlic without burning. Set aside to cool. Mix ketchup, beaten egg, onion soup mix breadcrumbs, extra garlic powder, if desired, salt and pepper. Combine meats, ketchup mixture, carmelized vegetables, and breadcrumbs. Form into a loaf or put in loaf pan. Spread a thin layer of ketchup on top. Bake at 350F (180C) for about 1.5 hours. Cover for first half, uncover to cook ketchup on top for last bit. The measurements are estimates because I don't measure. I use a LOT of ketchup, so I'm not sure the measurements are right. If the meatloaf seems dry when combining, add more ketchup.

Enjoy! I have the measurements in metric, too, if anyone is interested. Also, since we can't get Lipton's soup mix here, I make my own to use in this recipe. All of the soup mix ingredients are easily found in a Tengelmann or similar grocery.

Edited to add: several American friends have told me that this Meatloaf tastes exactly like the meatloaf they serve at Cracker Barrel, for what it's worth.

Ribbon Meatloaf

Meat mixture:
3 slices soft bread, torn into small pieces
1 cup milk
1 lb. ground beef
½ lb. ground lean pork
1 egg yolk
¼ teaspoon each of black pepper, dry mustard, sage, celery salt, and garlic salt
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Cheese filling:
1 egg white, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon water
2 slices soft bread, torn into small pieces
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350°.

Meat mixture: Stir together bread and milk. Thoroughly mix in remaining ingredients.

Cheese filling: Combine egg white and water. Toss lightly with breadcrumbs and cheese.

Pat one half of the meat mixture into a greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Cover with cheese filling. Top with remaining meat mixture. Bake 1 hour and 30 minutes. Serves: 6-8

Last edited:
I also make mine with bison meat as we are lucky enough to get alot of it free, I mix in some ground pork or sausage to add a little fat and flavor.
Next I shape meat mixture into individual oval really rounded on top loav and bake them on a sheet pan I make extra loaves and freeze them on a pan with wax paper on bottom unbaked ,once frozen I put them in a freezer ziplock bag and put back in freezer.Now all you hafto do do is pull out amount you need let thaw a little and bake 20 -25 minutes.I have also microwaved loaves for an instant lunch.

my mother in law has a really good meatloaf recipe..

...but when I've made it, it of course, is not nearly as good as when she'd made it. Only thing I remember about it that's different to me from mine is, she uses saltine crackers, garlic oil, onion oil, dried onions and shredded carrots.

I made a meatloaf the other night, probably the same night I was in here looking for a recipe for a good meatloaf. I remembered watching Calling All Cooks on the foodnetwork and saw that a lady put hard boiled whole eggs in the middle of hers and baked it that way. I did it that way. It sort of freaked out my husband who wondered what they were doing in there, but it was all right anyway. Just all right. I've since, put the entire rest of it in the Cuisinart, ground it all up including the eggs and made a pasta sauce out of it yesterday, with other ingredients obviously. Believe it or not, really, pretty good.

I've put the Claim Jumper Meatloaf recipe on other boards when this discussion came up. I have made it three times myself. It's a bit time consuming and thought provoking, usually, I just get in the pantry and unload my reg ingredients. This one makes me have to think and make sure to have the stuff on hand that's included.
But all in all, it is good and worth making at least once. Just to compare it with others and see the difference.
Claim Jumper Meatloaf

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 green onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced green bell pepper
2 tablespoons grated carrot
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
3/4 pound ground pork
1 cup bread crumbs (such as Progresso)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup ketchup plus an additional 1/4 cup ketchup (for top)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Sauté green onion, garlic, green pepper, and carrot in vegetable oil over medium heat for a couple minutes.
Combine beaten eggs with milk, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a medium bowl.
Mix bread crumbs and flour into ground chuck and ground pork with your hands. Add egg and milk mixture, sautéed veggies, 1/4 cup ketchup and mix it up using your hands. Get in there and squish it all around for a while. Enjoy yourself.
Press the mixture into a meat loaf pan (the kind of pan with drainage holes in the bottom) or a large loaf pan. Bake for 30 minutes, then spread 1/4 cup of ketchup over the top of the meatloaf and bake it for another hour.
Let it sit for a bit after you remove it from the oven before you slice it to serve.

Last edited:
My Mom never used nothing but oatmeal in her meatloaves!!! If by some chance (which I think happened once or twice, growing up) that she did not have oatmeal, she used crushed saltine crackers. Yes, the oatmeal does give it a firmer, tastier texture. I promise that you will taste the meat and seasonings and not the oatmeal!!

I always put cheese into my meatloaf. I tried Rachel Ray's meatloaf recipe a few weeks ago and loved it. It is one of my favorites. She made the meatloaf in muffin tins. Here is my version of her recipe.

I don't use exact measurements here

ground beef
your favorite BBQ sauce
medium salsa
celery, diced
onion, diced
green pepper, diced
bread crumbs
egg
worcestershire
s/pepper

Mix all into bowl. Make mini loafs with sharp cheddar stuffed in the middle. Brush top with extra BBQ sauce and bake. One tip I've learned when I don't use my meatloaf pan I put toast on the bottom to absorb the oils. Just make sure it is well toasted because you don't want it sticking to the bottom of the meat.

Here's the recipe we use at our restaurant. We shape it into the little loaves for individual orders for the menu....and larger loaves for the buffet. Either way...we microwave it. It stays really moist that way. It's a large recipe...but what you don't use for your dinner...you could shape into the small loaves for future meals...(or freeze the rest in larger loaves). The small loaves don't need to be defrosted before cooking...but the large ones do.

MEATLOAF MIXTURE

9 POUNDS HAMBURGER

3/4 CUP BROWN SUGAR

1 CAN TOMATO PASTE

1 CUP KETCHUP

1 CUP WORCHESTERSHIRE

1 CUP MINUTE RICE

1/2 CUP MUSTARD

2-4 DICED ONIONS

2 CUPS DICED GREEN PEPPERS

1 TABLESPOON BLACK PEPPER

1 TABLESPOON ONION SALT

1 TABLESPOON CAYENNE

MIX TOGETHER AND FORM IN 10 OUNCE LOAFS.

PUT KETCHUP ON TOP.

WRAP IN SARAN WRAP.

FREEZE.

1100 WATT MICROWAVE-MICROWAVE FOR SEVEN MINUTES TO COOK ONE.

This is one I cribbed together in response to a challenge from a chef I worked with; he said his was the best (I thought it was dry and bland). We both cooked ours on the same day - this was a little 'gourmet to go' place, and guess who's won?:mrgreen:

MY MEATLOAF

1/12 lbs. mix ground beef, veal and pork
¾ cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/3 cup heavy cream
1T worchestershire sauce
½ tsp. cayenne
2 tsp. mushroom base*
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dry thyme
1T roast garlic
2T carmelized onions
¼ cup minced parsely

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine cream and crumbs, and let sit. Puree roast garlic and onion. Mix together egg, worchestershire, pureed garlic/’onion, salt, pepepr, thyme and mushroom base.

In large bowl, combine meat, crumbs and egg mixture; mix w/hands til well blended. Form into a loaf on an oiled baking sheet and bake at 350 for 1 hour or til thermometer reads 160. Let rest before cutting.

*If you don’t have mushroom base, add another tsp. of worchestershire

Somewhere here, I posted several recipes for stuffed meatloaf.
Sometimes, I make the old Ann Landers meatloaf, that has a package of onion soup mix, mustard, catsup, Worchestershire Sauce, mustard, catsup, eggs and S&P.

But here's the one my family likes best. It makes a big one, because we like leftovers for sandwiches.

Connie's Killer Meatloaf

3 lb ground chuck
2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
1-1/2 sleeves crushed saltines
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbl Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Reserve 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce. In large bowl, mix remaining ingredients thoroughly. Place in large casserole dish and pat firmly into a round loaf.
Cover and cook in microwave on med-high for 15 minutes. Remove lid, discard any drippings, and spread remaing sauce on top of loaf. Cook, uncoverd, on high for 10 more minutes. Check temperature with meat thermometer if in doubt. Tent with foil and let stand 10 minutes.

You can also use the traditional method of cooking at 350 degrees in the oven, covered for 45 minutes, then top with sauce and bake uncovered for the last 15 minutes. (This cooking time is approximate...depends on how thick your loaf is...use your trusty meat thermometer.) Again, let it stand 10 minutes or so.
If you do cook your meatloaf in the oven, you may as well throw in some baked potatoes or a dish of macaroni while you have the stove on.

Whatever recipe you use, just remember not to overcook the meat. Your meatloaf will continue to cook after you get it out, and you don't want it to be dry.

My fave accompaniment is mashed potatoes and peas. What's yours?

Last edited:
I have one meatloaf that I make and instead of putting oatmeal or breadcrumbs in it.....I put Pepperidge Farm Herb stuffing in it and Kraft Hickory smoked honey BBQ sauce. Also the normal chopped onion, salt and pepper. My husband just loves it. Then what is left over if any.....when it is cold I slice it thin and make grilled cheese meatloaf sandwiches out of it. I heat the meat up with more BBQ sauce on one side of the griddle while I am cooking the buttered bread on the other side. So my husband not only looks forward to having it for dinner but left over too. You have to use those two name brand and flavors for it to taste right. Nothing else will do.

And one more :)

I'm not much of a ground meat fan, but my DH loves meat loaf and would eat it anytime I fix it with a smile on his face :LOL:
This one is easy and he says tastes great..I tasted it and feel it tastes fine...
2-eggs, beaten
1/2-c. finely chopped onion
2-tab. bottled horseradish, I use the creamy
4-tab. rolled oats (not instant)
1-1/2 bls. ground chuck
2-Tab. ketchup, either mixed in or brushed over the top near the middle of baking time. I put it into the loaf and also spread some on top as it comes out of the oven to rest before slicing. salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-tab. worchestershire
mix together all ingredients. Form into two 3x5 loaves and place in a shallow baking dish...bake at 400 for 30 min.
I let sit about 10 15 min before cutting...Not much to it, but it's quick and pretty good with roasted potatoes and a green salad...
enjoy,
kadesma
ooops...should make 4 servings:rolleyes:

ah meatloaf is a noble pate! great fresh and hot with mashies for dindin, or cold sliced the next for sandwiches! so good!

mine: meat loaf mix meat...beef pork veal mix
minced onion, garlic, thyme, parsley, catsup or a thick tomato based sauce like pub sauce (which I prefer) instant oatmeal (or leftover slow cooked oats) 1 egg salt pepper worcestershire. this is the basic mince you glob together with your hands. shape into a nice mound on a baking sheet or into a loaf pan. I prefer the free form...becomes less greasy during cooking.

baste with soy sauce and cover with several strips of your fave bacon

roast conventionally 350* check temp with thermometer at 1 hr for 160*

I'm guessing I do a 3 lb job. so we're looking at 1 tsp of thyme, several good glops of red sauce, parsley enough to green it up. and a cup of cooked oats or it's = 1 dry pack of instant.

make a small patty and fry it up and taste before shoving the whole thing in the oven so you can correct seasonings if needed.

anyway, meatloaf is wonderous stuff...I love my recipe, and I enjoy trying yours so thanks for sharing!

daisy said:
This favourite of mine has always received rave reviews! Well deserved, if I might say so! I always double the sauce ingredients! Cooking times are crucial. And the coffee is vital, too! Don't fiddle with this recipe, it's perfect as is (except the sauce quantity!!) Barbecue Meatloaf 500g minced beef 500g sausage mince 1 cup breadcrumbs 2 onions, diced 1 tablespoon curry powder 1/2 cup water salt and pepper to taste 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped 1 egg, beaten 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional) 1/2 cup milk Combine all meatloaf ingredients and mix until well combined. Shape into a loaf and put into greased baking pan. Bake 30 minutes at 180C. Sauce: 1 onion, chopped very fine (optional) 1/4 cup water 1/2 cup tomato sauce 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef stock 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce 2 tablespoons vinegar 1 teaspoon instant coffee 1/4 cup brown sugar 30g butter 2 teaspoons lemon juice Saute onions until golden and add all other ingredients. Bring slowly to the boil, lower heat and simmer about 5 minutes. After loaf has cooked for 30 minutes, pour the sauce over the meat, return to oven and bake 45 minutes more, basting often. The sauce goes well with ribs or chicken.
This does sound good if I could only figure out what 500g translates to in pounds or ounces. I like the curry powder idea, I'll bet that'd kick it up

Choc, I realize the post goes back to April, but if you're still out there, you don't need a meat loaf pan. I've prepared it in pyrex glass dishes.

One of my favorites was a dish my mom made with a layer of mashed potatoes in the center and covered with Vegetarian Vegetable soup (alphabet soup).

I don't put a whole bunch of stuff in the meat mixture, because it takes away/detracts from the taste of the beef (if you're using beef). Often, I don't add eggs either. A good meatloaf mixture sold at the market is beef, veal and something else (that escapes me at the moment). I don't like a high fat content in the beef. Go for ground sirloin, and don't put in many ingredients to mask the taste of the beef. It's funny - the butcher grinds up the meat, we take it home and try to glue it back together.

One of my faves, beef mixed with dry onion mushroom soup mix, worcestershire (or soy sauce), onions (or mushrooms -sometimes green peppers) - on occasion barbeque sauce and or ketchup. On occasion an egg, Italian bread crumbs and french fried onions. Another fave, jellyroll style with cheddar rolled up in the mix and marinara poured over all. (See my Italian meatball recipe.)

The fun part is resurrecting this pile of meat into interesting shapes - meatloaf hot dogs, donuts, a giant hamburger. I like any recipe with the word "surprise." Think I recall a meatloaf with a hardboiled egg inside. Another I've seen is made with stuffing mix.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom