Baked Pork Chops with tomato and herbs
We bought some lovely thick pork loin chops at Sam's the other day, and since loin can be dry, I usually bake with a "cream of" soup and vegies. But I wanted to try something different, so I looked through the pantry and came up with this.
Baked Pork Chops with Tomato and herbs
2 onions, sliced
1/2 each red and green bell pepper, sliced
4-6 thick pork chops
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano
salt and pepper
about 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Arrange sliced onions and peppers on the bottom of a casserole dish.
3. Lay pork chops over onions.
4. Season with salt, pepper and garlic/herb seasoning.
5. Sprinkle mushrooms on top of pork chops then cover with tomatoes.
6. Bake, covered, until tender, about an hour and twenty minutes for 6 thick chops
7. Remove cover and bake for 30 minutes longer.
If you don't have the seasoned tomatoes, use regular diced tomatoes and add your own basil, garlic and oregano, or more garlic/herb seasoning.
The meat turned out fork tender and delicious!
I had a box of Zatarain's Chicken Creole that needed to be used up, so we cooked it up without the chicken, and served it as a side.
Last night we had re-runs, and I spooned the rice over the top to heat it up, and it was even better.
We get by with a little help from our friends