Beef and Barley Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnneHelm

Assistant Cook
Beef and Barley

You will no doubt notice a trend in my cooking, I love red meat. Also I have been cooking with a lot of beef brisket, I had never even cooked one until recently and am exploring all the ways I might use this versatile cut of meat. Since cooler weather is finally upon us I was all too ready to whip up a soup to enjoy with my family. It couldn't have been more perfect, about the time we sat down to eat dinner a violent storm rolled in. It was beautiful, the rain was beating down hard and the lightning and thunder were magnificent and proud.

Ingredients
3-4 cups of beef brisket or beef roast cut into bite sized pieces (I used a brisket that was previously roasted)
1 1/4 cups of sliced baby carrots
1 small diced white onion
2-3 cups of sliced mushrooms
1 1/4 cups of thinly sliced celery
1 cup of barley
1 1/2 cups of red wine (I used Shiraz)
10 cloves of minced garlic
1 tablespoon of fresh minced rosemary
1/3 cup of heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons of chicken flavor bouillon (I used Knorr caldo con sabor de pollo, found in the hispanic section of the grocery store)
1 1/2 teaspoons of Chef Merito, Seasoning Carne Asada (This is not a must for the dish and the seasoning is difficult to find unless you went to a Mexican grocery store, my fiance' prefers Cavender's Greek Seasoning)
1 tablespoon of parsley
2-3 tablespoons of tarragon
dash of ground thyme
salt and pepper
6-8 cups of water

1. Sear as much of the meat as possible on medium high heat, since I am using the beef brisket I am not going to add any oil for this process. Brisket is a fatty piece of meat and will produce plenty of oils for searing. You can use a splash of red wine if the meat starts to stick. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
2. Prepare the vegetables and herbs.
3. Remove the meat from the pot and add olive oil, vegetables, garlic, herbs, seasoning and a 1/2 cup of red wine. Allow the mix to cook on medium high heat until all the fluids have evaporated .
4. Add the meat to the pot.
5. Add the water, bouillon, the rest of the wine, heavy whipping cream and the barley. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low. Partially cover the pot and allow to cook for about an hour to allow the barley to soften.

6. Now it is ready to serve. If you feel that there isn't enough fluid after the hour is up you can add more bouillon and water, milk or heavy whipping cream. A real nutty wheat bread with light butter really compliments this soup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been following your blog, so I'd like to thank you for posting this here. I love beef & barley soup. My mother used to use ox tails. Good stuff. Your pics look delicious.

ditto on the blog as i wish i had time to follow one, but this is really good timing as we love soups and we're heading into cooler temps, soup weather.

copied and saved. thanks. :chef:

oh, btw, have you made a pastrami yet, anne?

Love barley and beef, or barley and anything else! Thanks Anne!

Back
Top Bottom