GG's Minestrone Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Minestrone Soup

Ingredients
2 cups dried 15-bean mix
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 quarts water, plus 1 cup
2 tbsp. fresh parsley
1 tbsp. fresh basil
1/2 cup Chianti, optional
2 15-oz cans diced tomatoes
1 12-oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
2 bone-in chicken breast halves
1 piece Parmesan cheese rind, optional
1 cup small pasta, such as orzo, uncooked

Procedure
1. In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, cover legumes with four cups water. Stir in salt. Bring to a boil, boil two minutes, then cover, turn off heat and let stand one hour. Meanwhile, prep vegetables and herbs.

2. Drain legumes in a colander and rinse well. Set aside.

3. Heat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium heat till shimmering. Stir in onion, zucchini, celery and garlic and sauté for three to five minutes until softened. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and the pepper.

4. Stir in legumes and remaining ingredients, except pasta. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for one hour.

5. Using tongs, remove chicken from pot. Remove skin and bones from chicken, shred the meat, and return it to the soup. Simmer another hour, then add pasta. Simmer another half hour.

6. Serve topped with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese and crusty bread on the side.

Servings: 8

Note: I've had this recipe for so long, I don't remember where it came from, so I don't know why there's pineapple in it :LOL: But, I do know we like it a lot and the unexpected bit of sweetness in the occasional bite is nice. If you don't care for sweet stuff in your savories, leave it out.

Looks delish! I was just thinking about minestrone. I've never done it with a dried bean mix. I think I'll try that out. I have a chicken carcass I was just about to use to make soup so the timing is great. I've usually done my minestrone with a beef based broth so this will be a neat change. Thanks GG.

Going to avoid the pineapple though. Chicken and pineapple together in my tummy is an unpleasant mixture.

Putting the bones in right now!

When it comes to Minestrone I always cheat. I buy the Minestrone soup mix that has most of the stuff I need and then while cooking add what I want, i.e. zucchini, etc. Cuts the cooking time buy a lot. And I am always in a hurry.
Interesting, you are using pineapple. I’ve never heard or tasted Minestrone soup with pineapple. Thank you.

When it comes to Minestrone I always cheat. I buy the Minestrone soup mix that has most of the stuff I need and then while cooking add what I want, i.e. zucchini, etc. Cuts the cooking time buy a lot. And I am always in a hurry.
Interesting, you are using pineapple. I’ve never heard or tasted Minestrone soup with pineapple. Thank you.

I never have, either, Charlie. Can't remember where I got this recipe from, but it's been many years. We like it so I left it in :yum:

I never have, either, Charlie. Can't remember where I got this recipe from, but it's been many years. We like it so I left it in :yum:

Pineapple. Huh. I like pineapple, would never have thought of it in minestrone either.

Minestrone Soup

Ingredients
2 cups dried 15-bean mix
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 quarts water, plus 1 cup
2 tbsp. fresh parsley
1 tbsp. fresh basil
1/2 cup Chianti, optional
2 15-oz cans diced tomatoes
1 12-oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
2 bone-in chicken breast halves
1 piece Parmesan cheese rind, optional
1 cup small pasta, such as orzo, uncooked

Procedure
1. In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, cover legumes with four cups water. Stir in salt. Bring to a boil, boil two minutes, then cover, turn off heat and let stand one hour. Meanwhile, prep vegetables and herbs.

2. Drain legumes in a colander and rinse well. Set aside.

3. Heat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium heat till shimmering. Stir in onion, zucchini, celery and garlic and sauté for three to five minutes until softened. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and the pepper.

4. Stir in legumes and remaining ingredients, except pasta. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for one hour.

5. Using tongs, remove chicken from pot. Remove skin and bones from chicken, shred the meat, and return it to the soup. Simmer another hour, then add pasta. Simmer another half hour.

6. Serve topped with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese and crusty bread on the side.

Servings: 8

Note: I've had this recipe for so long, I don't remember where it came from, so I don't know why there's pineapple in it :LOL: But, I do know we like it a lot and the unexpected bit of sweetness in the occasional bite is nice. If you don't care for sweet stuff in your savories, leave it out.
Thank you for sharing!:yum: I look forward to trying it out next week.:)

Back
Top Bottom