Deviled Eggs, with or without relish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My girlfriend removed the seeds and dices into small pieces, a cucumber for that crunch. Not as strong as an onion, but almost as crunchy. :angel:

don't mistake it for toothpaste, unless you're a cat.

My cat does not like fish. :LOL:
Its true. She will eat nothing but cat food. And does she eat!

The other thing I like to add every now and again is a squeeze of Wasabi.

Sounds great. But my wife despises anything that has that horseradish taste. I love it.
Thats for goes for mustards too. She will only eat plain yellow mustard.

My grandma was from France and made her deviled eggs with crab or tiny shrimp, so I grew up never having deviled eggs with relish and think I have only had 2 with relish in them in my life. She never put mustard in hers either, so neither do I.

My grandma was from France and made her deviled eggs with crab or tiny shrimp, so I grew up never having deviled eggs with relish and think I have only had 2 with relish in them in my life. She never put mustard in hers either, so neither do I.

Family tradition is great, but I'm glad I just didn't stick to mine!:)

I'm rarely a fast and solid either/or person when it comes to food. Why not enjoy it all. Relish one time, curry another, anchovies maybe next time. Like anyone else, I have some things I like just so for tradition's sake, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the same dish done another way.

My ex mother-in-law was the one who prepared the deviled eggs with relish, mustard and onions. I did not like it and I like everything. I think it was because of growing up with my grandma's eggs. I don't see people serving deviled eggs that much anymore, but I still make them when I can bring them somewhere. I normally get raves for my grandma's deviled eggs. :)

My ex mother-in-law was the one who prepared the deviled eggs with relish, mustard and onions. I did not like it and I like everything. I think it was because of growing up with my grandma's eggs. I don't see people serving deviled eggs that much anymore, but I still make them when I can bring them somewhere. I normally get raves for my grandma's deviled eggs. :)

Ever been to a family gathering in the deep south?:) BTW, welcome to DC.

Yes. They are a must have for my feast every holiday, but when going to other people's gatherings I don't see them as often.

And thank you Craig! I am excited to join in some new conversation with new people with simuliar intrests.

Ever been to a family gathering in the deep south?:) BTW, welcome to DC.

Funny as we just discussed this the other day. My wifes family calls egg salad, deviled eggs. I asked what do you call a deviled egg? Thats why it was funny.
The souths idea of egg salad is just eggs and mayo.
I am still waiting for the explanation as to what they call a deviled egg if egg salad is deviled egg?

Yes. They are a must have for my feast every holiday, but when going to other people's gatherings I don't see them as often.

And thank you Craig! I am excited to join in some new conversation with new people with simuliar intrests.

We do have them at most all family gatherings. But I make them. And welcome to the forum!

Funny as we just discussed this the other day. My wifes family calls egg salad, deviled eggs. I asked what do you call a deviled egg? Thats why it was funny.
The souths idea of egg salad is just eggs and mayo.
I am still waiting for the explanation as to what they call a deviled egg if egg salad is deviled egg?

We do have them at most all family gatherings. But I make them. And welcome to the forum!

I think maybe it was because of the paprika that was sprinkled on them. Back in my childhood, other than the eggs, S and P, mayo, maybe some relish and/or onion/green onion depending on who made them, I don't remember seeing anything other than paprika, with maybe an occasional oddball (at the time) slice of olive on top. Red being the devil's color as deviled eggs were always at church socials.

Different parts of the south, different families. Egg salad and deviled eggs were 2 entirely different preparations, although with same ingredients, in the various areas of KY, TN, MS and AL where my mom's family was. My NC g-mom didn't really cook when we were there other than breakfast. She wasn't a good cook and was fond of canned veges and roasted meat.

In country parts of MS, lots of people still make them for parties, social events, etc., as I learned from recent experience, with mostly older (50+) ladies doing the cooking.

Last edited:
I can understand Caviar in my deviled eggs, but pickle relish, that is just too much.;)
Really it is what you like, what you used to. People forget that you cannot argue about taste. The things that we eat from childhood stay with us for life. When I was a kid in daycare, they used to serve us chopped hearing. My wife always jokes that it is child abuse. :)

The things that we eat from childhood stay with us for life. When I was a kid in daycare, they used to serve us chopped hearing. My wife always jokes that it is child abuse. :)

They forced me to drink my milk at daycare and right afterwards I would throw up. Every. Single. Day.

I can't hate milk but love things made with milk.

They forced me to drink my milk at daycare and right afterwards I would throw up. Every. Single. Day.

.. .

I had same reaction to cream of wheat. Even today, when I make it for kids, I feel nauseated ( how do you spell that?)

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I can understand Caviar in my deviled eggs, but pickle relish, that is just too much.;)
Really it is what you like, what you used to. People forget that you cannot argue about taste. The things that we eat from childhood stay with us for life. When I was a kid in daycare, they used to serve us chopped hearing. My wife always jokes that it is child abuse. :)
I'm with you on the caviar. I love pickled herring--ate that as my road food whenever I drove across ND.

Back
Top Bottom