ISO Garlic Scape Pesto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
Had some Garlic Scape pesto on bread as a sample tasting plate at a garlic festival. It was great.
Wondered if it is made like regular pesto or something different.

My dad grows garlic and gives them to me. and you can always get them at a garlic festival. I have in the past cut them up like a scallion.
thanks for the recipe. I thought I start here first before venturing out into all recipes, etc.
that one does sound good. thank you

Here in the midwest, the scapes show up in June, it's a once a season deal. This was our first year for garlic in the garden, the scapes were great. I've never seen them for sale, though I'm sure you could find them near a garlic farm if you have one in the area.

Next year I hope to have a LOT more, they are mild and delicious.

I've never heard of garlic scapes! I assume from what I'm reading it is the green part? If so, I've just used them the way I'd use a chive or green onion.

I've never heard of garlic scapes! I assume from what I'm reading it is the green part? If so, I've just used them the way I'd use a chive or green onion.

The scapes are part of the garlic plant that grows late in the life of the plant. It is a round stalk, that if left to develop, would hold up the flower. Garlic raisers remove the stalk soon after it appears, as Blissful says, in June in the midwest. It is a fleeting vegetable. I have been raising garlic for 15-20 years and had never heard of scapes as being edible, until a few years ago. Scapes were always a signal that the garlic harvest was near, and needed to be removed from each plant.

It seems that the scapes replace the fresh garlic and the green matter in the pesto recipe above.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom