Canisters! What's in your kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grew up with Tupperware, have also had some "cute" ceramics, some slant-face clear glass ones that look like the one choclatechef pictured .... but now I've settled on commercial square clear polycarbonate food storage containers made by Cambro (1st choice) or Carlisle (2nd choice - appers to be identical to Cambro) or RubberMaid (3rd choice - I don't like their handles and they seem thinner and not as sturdy as Cambro or Carlisle).

I prefer square because they hold 30% more than a round canisters of the same width and height.

I have the round Tupperware ones that are white with blue lids (why blue, I don't know - never had any blue in the kitchen except for Blue Cat - and he's always on the counters, whether I want him there or not). They work fine but are in the cabinet. I thought about ceramic ones, but I don't have a lot of counter space, and keeping them on the baker's rack, where they would look nice, would not be handy for using the stuff stored in them. I will someday replace them with square containers for the reason that Michael in FtW mentioned, but they are fine for now.

BC

Hey, editing to say that this post makes me a Senior Cook. Cool!

I guess I'm both deprived and disorganized.

I keep flour in the bag it came in inside a ziplock in the fridge. Sugar goes into a plastic half gallon pitcher (cost me a $1) in a cabinet. I don't keep food stuff on the counter simply because I don't have a lot of counter space and use the space for more frequently used stuff like a toaster and a couple of ceramic thingies to keep my spatulas, spoons etc. in.

Any backup storage is one floor down in the "pantry" which happens to be shelving units in the basement.

Sigh, some day I'll get that dream kitchen...

I've never been in a Dutch home where there were cansiters on the counters. They are almost always completely empty. I have tupperware for sugar, flour, my husband's cereal and the kids instant hot chocolate. Everything else gets used up so quickly it would be too much trouble.

That means I have a cabinet full of unused tupperware. As it is so expensive I don't want to toss it.

I would love to have a kitchen large enough to have some wonderful glass canisters or something else with character. I have such limited counter space it is always full when i cook.

Pam

Michael in FtW said:
but now I've settled on commercial square clear polycarbonate food storage containers made by Cambro (1st choice) or Carlisle (2nd choice - appers to be identical to Cambro) or RubberMaid (3rd choice - I don't like their handles and they seem thinner and not as sturdy as Cambro or Carlisle).

I prefer square because they hold 30% more than a round canisters of the same width and height.

:ohmy: Actually Michael, for pure practicality I agree with you. If I was working in a commercial kitchen again, these are what I would use.

But in my home kitchen, I have sacrificed some practicality for beauty and also good memories.

My maternal grandmother used aqua glass canning jars to can her home grown vegetables. Every time I see them in my kitchen, it reminds me of her and I get a warm soft feeling of my grandma's love.

I think I should have said my Aantique DH uses my old tin ones for nails etc...I have had the old ones (inc.Paul) since 1954...
My Tupperware arn't as old.. they are Green, Yellow and Orange

I, too, believe in Tupperware or Ziplocks for in the cupboards and practical use. My attractive ceramic ware contains packages of soup, tea bags, etc (stuff that is already sealed). Living in the south and in Hawaii, if it isn't perfectly sealed you'll wind up with bugs of some sort (most noticeably roaches and weevils), not to mention mold. Living here it is mice at harvest time. I also have mason jars with plastic lids I use for smaller amounts of things. I like being able to see through the container rather than having to label it. I like to tell at a glance whether the rice is basmati, jasmine, CalRose. If I'm putting something in a totally separate container (rather than putting the box/bag into a baggie), I razor off a section of the label and tape it to the outside of the container if there will be any doubt.

img_139735_0_1abe89bca5e301c8cfddc9fc11c72d0d.gif
I found this one ChoclateChef, hope its close! well priced too....here's the link: http://store.igiftsfast.com/canningjars.html :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom