A Couple Of Things I Am Glad I bought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Termy

Senior Cook
Cuisinart electric meat slicer.

When it gets cold we get ham and bake it, some comes off and is sliced like at a deli.

We make steak sandwiches out of tenderloin, just slice it thin. Fry mushrooms and onions and get uncut buns so you can cut at the top.

I get pepperoni that is excellent but does not come sliced. Well La Machine fixes that.

Another is the mandoline. Note it has an "E" on the end, so it is not a four string guitar. Slicing things is a breeze with that.

T

Are there any things that you particularly like about the Cusinart slicer? Are there things you dislike? Have you had an electric meat slicer before?

I used to have a great meat slicer. When you have several people that take lunches to work every day, a meat slicer is indispensable as a money saver. If you live alone however, it ain't worth the effort to drag it out, slice up your meat, then take it all apart to clean it and put it back together again. Buy sliced meat at a deli and let them clean the damn thing!

As far as 'V' cutting the buns, actually rolls, for steak sandwiches, even Subway stopped doing that many years ago.

Mandolin, the kitchen utensil, can be spelled with or without the 'e', depending on which side of the Atlantic you reside.

Last edited:

Another is the mandoline. Note it has an "E" on the end, so it is not a four string guitar. Slicing things is a breeze with that.

T

Will you also lecture me about my spelling when I write words like "labour" and "colour"? "Mandolin" is the common spelling of the vegi slicer in British English and "mandoline" is more commonly used in the US.

I used to have a great meat slicer. When you have several people that take lunches to work every day, a meat slicer is indispensable as a money saver. If you live alone however, it ain't worth the effort to drag it out, slice up your meat, then take it all apart to clean it and put it back together again. Buy sliced meat at a deli and let them clean the damn thing!

This reminds me of something I've wondered about. While sliced deli meat definitely has a limited shelf life, do the big cuts of ham, turkey, beef, pork, etc. they slice from last substantially longer? And if so, why?

"Have you had an electric meat slicer before"

Yes, an elcheapo GE, this is much better.

"As far as 'V' cutting the buns, actually rolls, for steak sandwiches, even Subway stopped doing that many years ago"

Yes, they seem to have turned into a really low key place. I had a sandwich from them the other day, BMT and I can tell you they are not what they once were.

"Will you also lecture me about my spelling when I write words like "labour" and "colour"?"

If you like. You all use "U"s but now you leave out the "E"s? On day we will have to conquer you and teach you how to spell. Do you have any idea how many modifications to my spell check you all have caused me ?

"While sliced deli meat definitely has a limited shelf life, do the big cuts of ham, turkey, beef, pork, etc. they slice from last substantially longer? And if so, why?"

I think they do as well because of not being exposed to the air. In fact on cheese if it gets moldy you just cut the mold off. Not sure about other things.

T

I wish I had room for a good meat slicer. I don’t care for those processed deli meats. I love roasting a turkey breast just for sandwiches. We also do beef roasts and chickens. I can’t get the nice thin slices like the deli, but I really like the meats better.

I like the idea of a meat slicer but it looks a little bit dangerous to me.

I think that I would invest in a chainmail mesh butcher glove and a box of band-aids before I flipped the switch.

I like the idea of a meat slicer but it looks a little bit dangerous to me.

I think that I would invest in a chainmail mesh butcher glove and a box of band-aids before I flipped the switch.

I've sliced myself up many times on the mandolin, never on the meat slicer (knock on wood)

Love them both.

Back
Top Bottom