"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Cornelius's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 15
Magic Chef cooktop

A few months ago, I moved into a house that has a fairly ancient electric Magic Chef cooktop on a center island in the kitchen. It has a large burner, a small burner, and a "grill" which has one zig-zag heating element beneath it.

It also has two knobs to control the grill portion. I took the grill/griddle cover off so I could see the element, and turned one of the knobs on high to see what would happen, thinking that with one element it would be a pretty neat trick if they could make only one side of it heat up. But, of course, the whole thing heated. But, it only got red-hot when I turned the other knob on high.

So, I guess I know how it works, but um, why would they build it that way? I went to the Magic Chef site to see if I could find any info, but they only provide a search for documentation by model number. I haven't a clue as to what the model number is. Also, they apparently no longer make cooktops, so I wasn't able to find a current similar model.

Anyone have any experience with these? Am I missing something, or is this just a strange and impractical design?

Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.