Wolf D/F Baking Problem: Food won't brown!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new-pea

Assistant Cook
I'd love to know if anyone has/is experiencing the problem I'm having w/ my new Wolf D/F, regarding baking.
Everything I bake -- quick breads, cookies and pies -- bake, but they don't really get brown. Things get cooked through, but visually they don't look right -- they look very pale and "anemic". Also, as with my chocolate chip cookies, for example, the cookies don't "spread" and flatten the way they should; they stay kind of puffy and in a strange way end up looking almost artificial. In order for me to get the cookies brown, I have to bake them for much longer than the recipe calls for, and they still look odd.
I've experimented with increasing the temperature, but that doesn't solve the probem.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you SO much, this is driving me crazy!

I recommend calling service and having the oven checked out. If it's new it should be under warranty.

new-pea said:
I'd love to know if anyone has/is experiencing the problem I'm having w/ my new Wolf D/F, regarding baking.
Everything I bake -- quick breads, cookies and pies -- bake, but they don't really get brown. Things get cooked through, but visually they don't look right -- they look very pale and "anemic". Also, as with my chocolate chip cookies, for example, the cookies don't "spread" and flatten the way they should; they stay kind of puffy and in a strange way end up looking almost artificial. In order for me to get the cookies brown, I have to bake them for much longer than the recipe calls for, and they still look odd.
I've experimented with increasing the temperature, but that doesn't solve the probem.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you SO much, this is driving me crazy!

Is it a gas or electric?

Also, it depends deeply on which level the food is in the oven.

If it's an electric, does the top heating element come on for even baking and browning?

Have had the same issue at first getting used to my Wolf ... you are working with an oven that keeps a much more even temperature than many baing recipes expect.
1) make sure oven is fully preheated
2) make sure your item is on the recommended rack position
3) is the oven full? 2 or 3 trays of cookies? use convection mode
4) do call service for a check and calibration within the first year.
5) adjust temp up 5 degrees ... see if that helps (a "standard" oven gets real hot at each reheat...the Wolf is much more moderate.)

Baking a half recipe of scones in my Whirlpool wall oven produced overdone bottoms. At the same time the Wolf DF gave me fairly "blonde topped" scones...5 min more was perfect.

As with any new appliance, get to know "its way" , but I have found I can really trust the Wolf to cook evenly and consistently.

Back
Top Bottom