What cooking magazines do you subscribe to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its funny, I don't know what or why I buy this or that mag but I certianly do have my favorites. I will buy most any of the foodie mags but only two religiously.

They are Cooks Illustrated and Fine Cooking. I find both to be supurlatibe.

I am with you otter. I subscribe to Cuisine at Home and I but Cooks Illustrated in the store on occasion. I love that there are no ads. Both have great tips and go into a lot of detail.

thanks to pa baker for this thread. dw is always asking me what do i want for presents, ya know, like for christmas and birfdays, but there's almost nothing i really want or need anymore (except a 27 hour day). a cooking mag is a good idea for a present. i'm gonna read all of your posts and decide which one i think i'd like. any suggestions for a home cook that doesn't have time for really complicated and in-depth recipes and ingredients, and doesn't bake sweets or desserts very often?????

buckytom, Cook's Illustrated sounds like what you are looking for, but I would suggest you check out the various mags at your local magazine vendor and see which one(s) appeal to you.

None, but I used to subscribe to food and wine, and gourmet, but got bored with them.

buckytom said:
thanks to pa baker for this thread. dw is always asking me what do i want for presents, ya know, like for christmas and birfdays, but there's almost nothing i really want or need anymore (except a 27 hour day). a cooking mag is a good idea for a present. i'm gonna read all of your posts and decide which one i think i'd like. any suggestions for a home cook that doesn't have time for really complicated and in-depth recipes and ingredients, and doesn't bake sweets or desserts very often?????

look at the taste of home website. All recipes are normal, nothing with crazy-weirdo "can only buy in northern maine" kinda recipes.
These are down home, family cooking, good eats recipes. They even have a "men who run the range" section. Maybe we could finally get to see you!
www.tasteofhome.com

thanks jkath!!!!! looks like a good site. i like the new section they're about to launch, "cooking for 2". i'll be checking it out today, thanks again...

Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes
Rivers always reach the sea

Thanks for a wee bit of Jimmy Page there, BuckyTom! I've got that album (this was the title cut, "Ten Years Gone", wasn't it?) somewhere in the closet, too.

your welcome audeo. i love zep. have the 4 cd box set, so i don't know if it was a title song. i was crankin it on eleven all the way to work, i felt like i was cruisin thru the high school parking lot. isn't jimmy great? have you ever seen the movie, "the song remains the same"?

I don't remember that movie. Hmm... Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, what a duo. What a band!

We awakened to a real frisky morning here in these parts and I had the joy of driving the #1 Son into work. I quietly popped in Little Miss Happy to sing "Isn't It Ironic" at the top of our hearing level with the windows down and the top back. GREAT way to wake up a late sleeper....

:twisted:

Gourmet and Saveur. I agree with some of the negative comments about Gourmet ... most of the time. I'll be tempted to give up the subscription, then I'll get an issue I love and read cover-to-cover. I know i'd just wind up picking copies off the rack now & then anyway. As a general rule, if you do that a half dozen times a year you could have the subscription for the same price. I probably have 25 years worth on my shelf, and I organize them by month, so that when holidays come I can pull out a stack of Novembers for holiday ideas. I don't think I've ever cooked from Saveur, just love reading about how food is done in different and exotic places.

I used to subscribe to Gourmet, Bon Appetite, and something else I don't remember. But, as the prices went up and the cooking content went down I lost interest. If I'm standing in line at the grocery store and see something that catches my eye I might buy one ... but that is only once or twice a year.

I have just this year been introduced to Cook's Illustrated - got a couple of free issues in the mail - and my PBS station now carries America's Test Kitchen. I just mailed in my subscription a couple of days ago. I like their equipment reviews and I like the fact that they get into the science of cooking - the hows and whys of things instead of just a recipe. Kind of the same reason I like Alton Brown.

It's probably akin to the old proverb, "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day - teach him to fish and he will eat for a lifetime." Teach me the science and tecnhiques - and I can cook far more than just one recipe.

mike if ftw, i just read what you wrote, i'll have to look in to america's test kitchen. i like the science of cooking aspect too. thanks, to you and everyone that shared their thoughts, for the tips

buckytom, ATK is carried by two PBS stations in my area. It's on at 11:30 and noon on Saturdays. It's my favorite cooking show.

I have Taste of Home's Quick Cooking and Cusine at Home. Received a freebie from Kraft and Cooks Illustrated. I liked the Cooks Illustrated...Wasn't too impressed with Kraft. Maybe it was the advertising. I really like Cusine at Home.

I don't like the Kraft magazine either, they could stop sending it to me as far as I'm concerned. I never like the recipes and it seems all of them use two or three Kraft products that I don't happen to have on hand.

Back
Top Bottom