Quick & Easy Refrigerator Pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve, you are a very clever boy! Now, how do I make a bigger fridge to keep them all in? I'm outta space.......................And the Tomatoes are calling, and the french Beans, and the runners, and the butternut squash..............I need a Martini???

Pickles in progress! :) I think I have enough brine for another jar.

Attachments

• 2014-08-01 13.33.16.jpg
    2014-08-01 13.33.16.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 202
Does anybody know if this might work with regular old salad cukes?

Cooking is like painting or writing a song. Just as there are only so many notes or colors, there are only so many flavors - it's how you combine them that sets you apart.

Wolfgang Puck

Does anybody know if this might work with regular old salad cukes?

That's what I used for some of them. It works fine.

Btw, after putting the seasonings and brine in the jars, I put the tops on and turned the jars over a few times to distribute the seasonings more evenly. We'll be eating some of these with lunch today.

Last edited:
Btw, after putting the seasonings and brine in the jars, I put the tops on and turned the jars over a few times to distribute the seasonings more evenly.
That's what I do, too. I probably should have mentioned it, but for the first few days I turn them once or twice to distribute the flavor.

I think, I figure out why Americans use vinegar. It is because the ones I make the pickle juice looks all cloudy and the vinegar type it is clear. Americans are funny that way, you guys would never even consider buying something that looks cloudy. It will be considered spoiled.:)

I think, I figure out why Americans use vinegar. It is because the ones I make the pickle juice looks all cloudy and the vinegar type it is clear. Americans are funny that way, you guys would never even consider buying something that looks cloudy. It will be considered spoiled.:)
I would certainly be suspicious of something cloudy, until I find out that it supposed to be that way.

Here is a recipe I found at another site, aren't too salty and excellent.

Adapted from a recipe by Greg Higgins, a Portland, Oregon chef and restauranteur.

Quick and easy.

----------

4 quarts of pickling cucumbers rinsed well
16 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
4 heads of fresh pickling dill, halved
about 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1 quart cider vinegar
1 quart water
1/4 cup pickling spices
1/2 cup pickling salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 cup chopped fresh pickling dill

Wash two half-gallon, 4 quart or 8 pint jars. Keep hot untill needed. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs.

Pack the cucumbers into the jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Divide the sliced pieces of garlic and halved heads of fresh pickling dill among the jars. Add a pinch (about 1/8 of a teaspoon) of the dried red pepper flakes to each jar.

Prepare the brine by combining the vinegar, water, pickling spices, salt, sugar, turmeric and 1 cup of chopped fresh dill in a non-aluminum pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain off the seasonings from the brine and ladle the hot brine into a jar at a time, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Wipe jar rim with a clean, damp cloth. Attach lid. Fill and close remaining jars. Let cool to room temp, then store in the refrigerator. The pickles are ready to use after three or four days of aging, but they will continue to improve further for several weeks. They will keep, refrigerated, for about a year.

I just made a half batch of Steve's grandmother's refrigerator pickles using small pickling cucumbers from the farmers market. The recipe says to use your favorite vinegar. Well, I like both white and cider vinegar, so I decided to try them with both. And then I had enough extra cukes and brine to make a combination [emoji38] I'll let you know in a few days which I like best.
0714171459a_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to your review, GG.

Haven't gotten to our farmers' market for a few weeks, but local cukes are at the neighborhood store and they're only 99 cents a pound. Gotta get there tomorrow to get enough for a quart of my Crock Dill Pickle version of my Dad's recipe. I'm looking forward to a summer of memories with those babies. :yum:

I just made a half batch of Steve's grandmother's refrigerator pickles using small pickling cucumbers from the farmers market. The recipe says to use your favorite vinegar. Well, I like both white and cider vinegar, so I decided to try them with both. And then I had enough extra cukes and brine to make a combination [emoji38] I'll let you know in a few days which I like best.
View attachment 27271
I'm anxious to hear the results too! I never know which vinegar to use :wacko:

Your pickles look so pretty, GG. I know they'll taste good too.

I'm anxious to hear the results too! I never know which vinegar to use :wacko:

For my own taste, I hate white vinegar but am a big fan of apple cider vinegar. That is what I use when I make the KFC Cole Slaw. It really gives the slaw a nice flavor. I find the apple cider vinegar is less harsh and adds less acid to the product that I am using it for. I also use a Chinese vinegar at times. That is for a less acidic taste. Sometimes I will slice a couple of tomatoes and a cucumber, and let them sit in the Chinese vinegar. Makes for a great snack when I want something to munch on.

For my own taste, I hate white vinegar but am a big fan of apple cider vinegar. That is what I use when I make the KFC Cole Slaw. It really gives the slaw a nice flavor. I find the apple cider vinegar is less harsh and adds less acid to the product that I am using it for. I also use a Chinese vinegar at times. That is for a less acidic taste. Sometimes I will slice a couple of tomatoes and a cucumber, and let them sit in the Chinese vinegar. Makes for a great snack when I want something to munch on.

Ty for your input Addie! I always use apple cider if the recipe doesn't specify. I use white vinegar for cleaning! I use balsamic or white/ red wine if specified in a dish but I can definitely use tips. :) (and I'm not sure if I've ever used Chinese vinegar)

Thanks for resurrecting my recipe. I hadn't thought at all about pickles yet this year. Last year, I was going through a divorce and living in an apartment, so it wasn't real practical. As a result, I'm finishing up things I canned in 2015.

This year, I'm back in a house, with a nice big cellar. So while I probably won't get around to fridge pickles this year, I am hoping to can several batches in the fall.

As for vinegar, there's something I like about white vinegar for canning. It's kind of a blank slate for other flavors (as much as vinegar can be a blank slate, that is). That said, I've used cider vinegar, too. Both are good.

Thanks for resurrecting my recipe. I hadn't thought at all about pickles yet this year. Last year, I was going through a divorce and living in an apartment, so it wasn't real practical. As a result, I'm finishing up things I canned in 2015.

This year, I'm back in a house, with a nice big cellar. So while I probably won't get around to fridge pickles this year, I am hoping to can several batches in the fall.

As for vinegar, there's something I like about white vinegar for canning. It's kind of a blank slate for other flavors (as much as vinegar can be a blank slate, that is). That said, I've used cider vinegar, too. Both are good.

I like it because it doesn't include sugar [emoji2] I made some fridge pickles last week and that recipe called for just two tablespoons of sugar, but they're too sweet for me. DH likes them though.

Apparently I made them before, but I didn't note which vinegar I used. My mom always had sliced cucumbers with just white vinegar on the dinner table when I was growing up and I loved them. Now, of course, I like all kinds [emoji38] I think I have at least 15 :yum:

Looking forward to comparing the different kinds once they cure a little longer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom