"Kew on a Plate"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
If the above television programme comes to "Food Network", or any other
US TV channel, I recommend you watch it. It's based at Kew Gardens, "a botanical garden in southwest London that houses the largest and most diverse botanical and mycological collections in the world ".There's a small garden set up for the programme which covers a year in growing and cooking

It has Raymond Blanc demo'ing dishes made from the produce grown on site. Ruth Goodman, a food historian, demo's old recipes and Kate Humble "investigates" other aspects of seasonal farming - this week she was looking into the "Onion Johnnies" from Brittany in France, who hawked strings of "Rose de Roskoff" onions around Britain (and a few still do). I remember seeing them in Wales when I was in college there. She also did a piece this week about traditional cider making - cider, over here, is an alcoholic drink and only the very foolish drink too much of the traditional stuff at a time - definitely not on a par with Coca Cola" or "7-up"!!!

The programme had reached autumn his week and they had been growing pumpkins among other things. Ruth Goodman demo'ed a dish made by the early settlers in America (pumpkins were apparently a staple food before they sorted out successful wheat-growing as I expect you are very aware - I'm sure it's dinned into American primary school children). It was a sort of egg custard baked in a de-seeded pumpkin. I'd like to have a go at that one sometime.

(If you don't know Raymond Bland, he's French, old & not particularly good-looking but he could make a plain rice pudding look sexy!!! I may be pushing 70 and supposed to be past these things but if he cooked for me I'd be putty in his hands!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom