Drunken Apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erik

Sous Chef
8 large apples, peeled and cut into eight wedges
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup raw sugar
1 cinnamon stick
4 cloves
peel of 1/2 orange
1/3 cup Grand Marnier
extra shredded orange zest

Place the apple wedges into a shallow saucepan, add wine, water, spices and orange peel.

Cover saucepan and cook over VERY LOW heat for up to 1 hour
or until apple wedges are tender but still retain their shape.

Very carefully transfer the apple into a bowl, strain liquid over them with the Grand Marnier and shredded orange zest.

Cover and chill for at least 1 day.
Serve with whipped cream, cinnamon, and nutmeg (from a shaker)

WOW!! :chef:

To quote Homer: (Simpson, that is)

"Your ideas are intruiging to me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter..."

Must add this to the make over the holidays list... Now if I can just figure out where to get apples in Michigan in November???

John

i second that wow! WOW!

that looks great. we still have so many apples left over from picking, and i think we're going to the orchard again soon, so this will be a great thing to make. thanks for the recipe erik.

you have a newsletter? sign me up...

and ronjohn, take a ride to joisey. i'll hook you up with the good stuff. fujis, cortlands, romes... i've got the best macs anywhere, no lie. check it, ese.

Ron, I'm down in SW Michigan. The fruit/veg markets are pushing apples out cheap to make room for the xmas trees. Don't know if that will help you, being near Detroit.

Thanks, Erik! This sounds yummy - and I brought 2 bags of apples home from the market yesterday!!

healthy

They always say that 'an apple a day' , this sounds like easy way to make up whole week! Sounds wonderful. Thank you for sharing. Anybody hear of Honey Crisp apples? i have never seen them before but sure are good.

OK I am in the process of making these, but with one unexpected change. I had a bottle of wine that I thought was a white, but when I opened it for this recipe I found out it is actually a red. I think it should still be good though because it is an apple wine (Nashoba Vally Winery Chrysleton 20% Elderberry 80% Apple). It smells great in here right now :chef:

Gb

T hanks for sharing the smell with us. I look forward to experiencing the same only after this T hanksgiving. Have a good one GB.

Last edited:
OK I tasted a piece last night before I went to bed. WOW they are so good! I can't wait to have them with the nutmeg and whipped cream!!!

I made these, too, today. I used 2 Braeburn apples and 2 Granny Smith apples (I halved the recipe.) I'm gonna sneak a piece later - and can't wait to add the whipped cream and fresh nutmeg tomorrow!

I jusst finished cooking off the apples. I changed up the recipe a little by keeping the cinnamon stick in the sauce, removing the apples and putting them in a decorative bowl, leaving the sauce for reduction, added the booze and sugar, brought to a boil and reduced by 1/2. I then strained the now syrup over the apples and covered & placed in the fridge. To serve I'll place the apples in a white wine glass and top with ricotta cheese and a sprig of mint.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom