Message sorting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KellyM

Senior Cook
I wish, rather than the chronological sort order messages seem to appear in that there could be little "sub-threads", so if we reply to a particular comment, the reply would be right there below that comment. This would help a great deal as far as continuity goes, IMHO.

Also, I wish the original post would appear at the top of each page of replies. I think this would help a great deal with keeping threads on-topic. Okay, I'm a newbie, but not at all to sites like these in general. I just posted in one thread that started out asking for cooking tips, and somehow wound up with many people talking about how they like their tea.

Kelly

Do you get the reply notifications via e-mail? Then click on the link directly from the email, then it will show exactly where the reply is.:)

KellyM said:
I wish, rather than the chronological sort order messages seem to appear in that there could be little "sub-threads", so if we reply to a particular comment, the reply would be right there below that comment. This would help a great deal as far as continuity goes, IMHO.

Also, I wish the original post would appear at the top of each page of replies. I think this would help a great deal with keeping threads on-topic. Okay, I'm a newbie, but not at all to sites like these in general. I just posted in one thread that started out asking for cooking tips, and somehow wound up with many people talking about how they like their tea.

Kelly

If you want to reply to a particular comment, just use the quote button.

ironchef said:
If you want to reply to a particular comment, just use the quote button.

Yeah, I get that, but in other forums I visit, which are sorted the way I'm talking about, it is easier for the other members to get into the little "side discussions" that ensue. Of course, I suppose this way, it is harder for the thread to get off-topic. :)

Kelly

We do try to keep things as on topic as possible here. Sometimes the conversation move to a new topic within a thread and that is OK since it is the natural way a conversation goes. We try to stay away from side conversations though and instead make those new threads on their own.

urmaniac13 said:
Do you get the reply notifications via e-mail? Then click on the link directly from the email, then it will show exactly where the reply is.:)

Yes, I do. The problem is that I now get a notification for every reply posted to any thread I post in, whether someone is replying to me or not. Is there a way to make it so I only get notification if someone replies specifically to me? My inbox is filling up!:wacko:

Kelly

KellyM said:
Is there a way to make it so I only get notification if someone replies specifically to me? My inbox is filling up!:wacko:

Kelly
Hi Kelly.:)

We do not have the site set up this way, so your answer is no. If you subscribe to all threads you post in, you will get a notification for a new post if it is to you or anyone else posting in that thread.

We are using the best forum software available (vBulletin) to help ensure this community is the best that it can be.:cool:

MJ said:
Hi Kelly.:)

We do not have the site set up this way, so your answer is no. If you subscribe to all threads you post in, you will get a notification for a new post if it is to you or anyone else posting in that thread.

We are using the best forum software available (vBulletin) to help ensure this community is the best that it can be.:cool:

So I guess my next question would be, is there any way to not subscribe to all the threads I post in?

Kelly

Click on the USER CP menu option near the top of the page. Then, on the left of the new page, click on EDIT OPTIONS. Scroll down to DEFAULT SUBSCRITION MODE and edit from there.

Andy M. said:
Click on the USER CP menu option near the top of the page. Then, on the left of the new page, click on EDIT OPTIONS. Scroll down to DEFAULT SUBSCRITION MODE and edit from there.

So it's all or none?

Kelly

Back
Top Bottom